Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Spectrum with "giant scale"

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Spectrum with "giant scale"

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Spectrum with "giant scale"

Mike

The most inexpensive source is a De Walt 36V battery pack, look on e-bay, you get 10 cells for minimal costs, you just have to take the pack to pieces and solder up your own 6.6 packs, I am using them as a 2 cell for my Rx and a three cell for the ignition, I need the voltage for the MVVS Pro ignition.

Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm. I have heard that from other sources. I will have to check into that.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

I see you guys talking about flying a single 6V pack without regulators. Do you know how close you are getting to the receivers 3.7V cutoff under load? That is the main reason I am using 2 lithium packs on regulators with the DX7. I am using 2 lithium packs regulated to 6.2 volts on a smart fly. I know that almost all of the problems have been due to this low voltage cutoff thing. Aren't you concerned about that?

If not, please explain. It might convince me to switch to a single unregulated pack on some planes if I have confidence that I wont do a blender or something and have the reciever shutdown on me.
Mike, this vid says alot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHJNG2PngQ

Each cell is good for something like 60 amps continuous and 120 burst amps.

Horizon has them, so does A123racing.com and you can find made up packs on Ebay or buy a Dewalt 36 volt battery pack with them in there (again Ebay is good source) and take them apart to make your own. There was a good editorial thread on the Giant*s about making your own.

Fully charged are 7.2 which quickly drops into the 6.7 to 6.4 range. I stop flying mine at 6.4v on my 50cc EF Yak with 5 digital servos and get a good 10-10 min flights. Tell the world I think they are cool. They can tolerate overcharging and if you run them flat they come right back. I charge them and forget for weeks and they are within .01 volts ready to go.

Richard

Old 10-04-2007, 11:58 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

what do you charge them with?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike East - -there are apparantly a lot of people who are not aware of these cells and some who really prefer you don't use em-
frankly -they easily beat any pack/cells on the market .
no regs to add yet another potential failure point - just two cells which will survive drilling em with a spike--
well -that's pushing it
but if you can simply hook em up -watch and measure outputs you will quickly see why the guys using em -use em.
For my buck -I won't use anything else --I also use em in place of LiPos in electric models over 3.5 lbs -
easy to use -charge in the model - literally infinte shelve life with almost zero voltage drop when stored -etc.
Ah like em

Old 10-04-2007, 12:10 PM

I use a Thunder Power 1010C from www.RCdude.com. The upgradeable firmware now has A123 settings. At 5 amps I can put 1050 mAh back in in under 20 minutes. When I come home from flying I run the charge (not through the switch) while putting stuff away and wala, done!

Before that, while I was wating to get the TP going, I used my Hobbico Pro on NIMH setting and babby sat it to turn of the voltage. (I am not endorsing this as a regular setup)

I have even used a Futaba wall charger although it takes forever (overnight) and still have to babysit for whatever voltage you want to stop it at. (I am not endorsing this as a regular setup)

One of the guys at the club used his Triton, still had to babysit the turn off voltage as it is typically higher on lipo setting.

A123Racing.com also sells a charger and so does FMA Direct.

Hope this helps.

R
Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
SinCityJets

Why would you not run regs?? 6.4-6.7 is over 6.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM
BaldEagel

Dick

What do you use to charge your A123 with? at the moment I am charging whilst watching so I can cut them off at 3.6volts, its a bind and I would like to know if there is a better way.

Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ihave two setups --
the very simple setup is a CellPro 4 (for up to 4 cells )
so for a rx pack I use a JRlead (3wires -- which charges each cell and balances it -
plug n play-
I have two of these -- also charges LiPos
I can also setup a 8 cell A123 pack for electric model --and using both chargers -- charge each as 4 cell packs -at the same time
Or
Ihave a Astro Flite 12 Deluxe charger which I use in conjunction with small adapter called a DAPTER- this will charge 8 cells but NOT balance - also charges LiPo
very good setup -lots of power easy to use .
essentially ,you want a constant voltage charger which shuts off when the battery pack reaches 3.6 per cell (7.2 for RXpack)
ampps - up to you
8 amps is plenty- 3 amps is also good enough for RXpacks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35066.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	776394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31132.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	776395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49238.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	776396  
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Why would you not run regs?? 6.4-6.7 is over 6.
Same reason why you dont for 6v nimh--they range from 7.2 down to 6v--the servos and rx can handle it fine
Old 10-05-2007, 05:23 AM
BaldEagel

Thanks Dick

I will investigate what is available over here, as I don't want to stand by the charger for the rest of my life waiting for the voltage to get to reach 3.6V, I have done a lot of reading and found that even at 4.1V I was pushing the envelope a bit, so another charger is on the cards.

Mike
Old 10-05-2007, 05:32 AM

Mike do they sell Thunderpower over there? The TP 1010C has upgradable firmware and can take the program for A123's. I got mine from RCDude.com I can now do A123's, NIMH, NICAD Lipo and PB(/)

The nice thing is you can set it for a 95% charge if you want to run slightly less top end voltage.

RDB
Old 10-05-2007, 06:35 AM
BaldEagel

RDB

Thunderpower is available in the Uk, but very expensive and not good back up, I already have a Robbe Profi Home charger that does all but the A123, this is what I use mostly as its mains electricity based, has four outputs and is totally programmable, my LiPo's are charged on a Tenergy which is excellent, its just the A123's I don't have a charger for, will have a look at the TP 1010C and see how much it will cost to import.

Mike

EDIT: Looks as though the TP 1010 is not a ballance charger, just a charger with an interface for a ballancer, therefore not purposly designed for ballance charging, its been added as an after thought, not ideal.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 AM

Yeah, sorry about that. I already had the TP 205 balancer from when I did their lipos. They supply a cable to interface the TP 205 with the 1010C.

Randy at RCDude.com has them all with the new upgrades and I paid $199 for the 1010c
Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 AM
BaldEagel

Do those ballancers insert between the charger and battery and therefore do a ballanced charge to each cell?

Mike
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM

No Mike, the cell is being charged on one set of cables while the balancer balances on the other connection.

On the A123's I am able to bypass the balancing option and continue on with a charge with my 1010C. IMO it probably wont be much of a problem to not balance every flight. In fact my first home made battery had no balancer and I will figure out how to check it some day maybe when I add back in a balance tap.

From my reading on the A123 threads it appears to hold a fairly good balance on its own for many (30?) cycles and some have commented that cycling the cells down to 2v and bringing them up can actually act as a "natural" balance.

Remember that on the designed application they really needed good balancing with 10 cells running. The manufacturer reccomends their charger and balancer and rightly so. They are in the known zone there.

Richard
Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 AM

Jeeze, I hope I don't get busted for thread hijackking. The threads over in the battery forum take a while to absorb. Seems like more and more folks are talking about these batteries in the build, fly forums as the decide on them.

Disclaimer, I am not any electrical authority on this stuff but am relating my actual experiences.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: rdb127

No Mike, the cell is being charged on one set of cables while the balancer balances on the other connection.

Richard
That's what I thought, having been into LiPo's for some time, I like to do a ballanced charge and see what the battery and charger are doing at any time, little blinking lights and seperate ballancers do not do it for me, I am, therefore going with the Cellpro Charger as recommeded by Dick, that way if it does not work I can blame someone else.
Thanks for the info
Mike
Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Ive been using the Cellpro and it works great
Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

back on track... has anyone used a channel to power their ignition? this seems to be possible but I'm not sure if anyone has tried it?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
MicroDat

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1674

Looks like Quique had a problem with the new X9303 2.4ghz. I guess you better make sure you don't drop below the voltage cut-off (3.5v I think).

I have a Spektrum Dx7 myself and I think I will go with the dual receiver setup. Not sure on the power system yet though. I think I will go with the NiMh since I know it works for these spektrum receivers. I personally have had two lockouts on the spektrum, once with a AR7000 and once with the AR6200. The AR7000 had a 1320 Thunder power lipo with a regulator, the AR6200 had a 1500 NiMh. I have since moved to a 2700 NiMh without any problems. And oh, the 1500 mAmh NiMh was a 4 cell (4.8v).
Old 10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MicroDat

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1674

Looks like Quique had a problem with the new X9303 2.4ghz. I guess you better make sure you don't drop below the voltage cut-off (3.5v I think).

I have a Spektrum Dx7 myself and I think I will go with the dual receiver setup. Not sure on the power system yet though. I think I will go with the NiMh since I know it works for these spektrum receivers. I personally have had two lockouts on the spektrum, once with a AR7000 and once with the AR6200. The AR7000 had a 1320 Thunder power lipo with a regulator, the AR6200 had a 1500 NiMh. I have since moved to a 2700 NiMh without any problems. And oh, the 1500 mAmh NiMh was a 4 cell (4.8v).

You really need to run a stout 6V system. I think you are asking for troble with 4.8V. You are entirely too close to the shut down voltage. I think that Spektrum should probably require that these systems NOT be run on 4.8V.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
MicroDat

Hey Mike,

Yeah I only run 6V now, will never go back to 4.8v again.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 AM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

flew my ca yak 2.6 with dx7 one ar7000, 2x 4.8v 2400 nicad packs all summer no probs no glitches. get about 4 x15min flights on peak - never fly below 4.8v tested 1 amp load. many times I topped off at field to get more flights on those all dayers