Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Servo Feedback to RX???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Feedback to RX???

I've got a wierd issue.

Putting a 40% Extra together and noticed something bizzare with the servos. If I put any pressure on the right inboard aileron servo it causes several of the other servos on the same RX to bump around slightly... a couple degrees in either direction. Also, the aileron servo itself isn't steady when I put pressure on it... it kinda bumps intermittantly.

Range checks... engine on and off... are great.

Anyone else ever see this?

BTW... servos are 5955s all around.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Servo Feedback to RX???

buzzing is normal i am not sure what is happening when youy day any pressure on the ailerons causes the others to react are the other being the ones on the ailerons....
Old 06-13-2007, 04:31 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no feed back though the servo you push on might be loading the voltage enough to drop the voltage to the other servos and they see that drop and more slightly. Are you using a lot of extensions?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:57 PM
sillyness

Let see here...

The servos that twitch when I push lightly on the aileron are the elevator and the rudder servos.

The power system is a Fromeco 4800 through a Fromeco reg putting out 6.00V. I'll double check the voltage tonight. Maybe I'll bump it up to 6.1 V or something to see if that affects anything.

I tried 2 different sets of servo extensions. The strange servo nearest one to the wing root and has no extension. Is is connected to a short extension to get to the RX. The outer servo in the wing is rock solid. It has a 36" servo extension soldered to it.

The longest extensions are for the elevators. They are 48" and they barely make it to the RXs located in the rear area under the hatch.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I'd try is another servo...I would not trust that servo you are pushing on for that huge plane. Maybe swap one from another location in the one you are pushing on and see if it still happens. If your servos are all setup after hours of working on them (getting the buzz out), I can see how you wouldn't want to swap them around....but it's an idea.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 AM
sillyness

Problem solved.

A strange one.

I am using the aileron signal from the RX for both servos on the wing, but I am getting each servo independant power (kinda like a much simpler power expander or matchbox... servos are programmed so no matching device needed, just good solid power). I've been doing this for some time now with excellent results.

I simply had to move the plug power plug for the second servo to a different channel... it was in Ch1... moved it to a differnt channel. All is good and solid now. Ready for maiden!

Glad I tried this before I pulled a perfectly programmed servo!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So it was causing a voltage drop because of two servos in one channel...

FYI the next time you should give us all the info we need. Leaving out that you had "a Fromeco 4800 through a Fromeco reg putting out 6.00V" and extensions up to 36" soldered in place really makes a difference in what we know to be able to help you solve your problem.....
Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM
sillyness

FYI... please re-read my last post. Each servo gets its own power.. they are not plugged into the same port. Only the signal is shared. The signal lead hardly draws any current and it is not proprtional to servo output.

The problem was fixed by simply switching the port for 1 servo... it was some sort of wierd feedback issue, NOT a power issue. Voltage was checked and was fine.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:46 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sillyness,

Curousity. How are you providing servo power and separating it from the signal source if you're not using any matching devices?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:10 PM
sillyness

Ahhhhh Little voodoo. I made my own wiring harness.[8D]
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 PM
sillyness

BTW... maidened the plane today (Wildhare 41% Extra 300). Flies like a friggen' champ! Time to order graphics.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear it. Have lot's of fun!