Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Navy N3N

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 04:57 AM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navy N3N

Always wanted to build a large model of the Navy "Yellow Peril" N3N and maybe on floats. Never seen much available as far as scale plans over the years. Anyone know of a large plans source?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:37 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Navy N3N

Young Lady #5:
Originally posted by flicka5
Always wanted to build a large model of the Navy "Yellow Peril" N3N...
The N3N and the Stearman were nearasdammit the same plane, differing mainly in where they were built. Shouldn't be any problem to get your docs for the N3N and do minor bashing on the Stearman.

"Yellow Peril" N3N from NAF,
. And Boeing's Stearman for the USAAF.

Bill.

PS: For those of you who don't know, "Flicka" is Swedish for young lady, or girl. wr.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:26 AM
flicka5

Default Stearman

Already have a yellow Stearman and not good at bashing having attended a lot of bashes on the path to my old life. Too much difference as far as I am concerned. Flicka is the name of our calico kat! She is one of them other kind as far as sex.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63056_4974.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	38610  
Old 03-15-2003, 06:48 AM
William Robison

Default Navy N3N

flicka5

Sorry, if you don't feel up to bashing or designing your own plane I can't offer any more help.

Have you tried google for "N3N,' "NAF," or "Naval Aircraft Factory?" Might get a hit there.

And give Flicka the cat a good rubbing for me. There's a tom cat here who lets me live with him, he wouldn't pay her any attention, if your inference about her is what I think it is.

Good luck in your seach.

Do I have to fly the "Yellow Peril?"
. Yes, son, your turn in the barrel.

Bill.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:20 AM
flicka5

Default N3N

Bill: thanks for your input as I am all designed out. Note: have been building this 1/4 WACO S3HD from scratch without adequate plans and looking for something easier and faster this year. Why do you suppose that the N3N is rarely modeled, for lack of plans? I remember (?) that Sterling offered a small kit of it many many years ago.

Name:	63069_4974.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	38611  
Old 03-15-2003, 10:56 AM
William Robison

Default Weaver Aircraft Co and Wedell-Williams

flicka4.99999:
Originally posted by flicka5
...Note: have been building this 1/4 WACO S3HD from scratch ...Why do you suppose that the N3N is rarely modeled, for lack of plans? I remember (?) that Sterling offered a small kit of it many many years ago.
That particular WeaverBird always reminded me of Jimmy Wedell, looked like he copied the afterbody and empennage when he designed the Wedell-Williams race planes.

I suppose it's rare beause there is so little difference between the N3N and the PT-13 and PT-17 Stearmans. The Navy versions were the NS and N2S. The PT-13 had a Lycoming R-680 engine, the PT-17 had a Continental R-670, and the N3N had an engine built by the Naval Aircraft Factory, the NAF R-760. On the PT-13/17 therre were some built with a Jacobs engine. I don't know any serial numbers, but I suppose they used the Jakes when there were supply problems with the L and C engines.

Just as a historical note: The N3N was the last bi-plane of any type in service with the US military, saw its final use in 1961.

Another possibility is production numbers. PT-13/17 had almost 8600 built, there were only 996 N3N aircraft built.

Kits? Seems to me the Monogram "Speedeebilt" (Spelling?) was labeled "N3N Stearman." Only been 50 years, I could be wrong.

So even if I've not been any real help, I'll give you all the moral support you can use.

Round engine and two wings,
. Listen, how my heart sings!

Bill.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
fliir

Default RE: Navy N3N

Bill:

Why do you keep repeating that the N3N and the N2S are essentially the same plane?

I recommend that YOU do a google search on "N3N" and "Naval Aircraft Factory". The N3N is an aluminum plane, while the Stearman had wood wings and wood fuselage bulkheads. The landing gear is completely different. The vertical stab and rudder is different. The N3N has 4 ailerons, the N2S has two ailerons, etc. etc.

p.s. my father serviced N3Ns at NAS Glenview during WWII

David
Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
flicka5

ORIGINAL: fliir

Bill:

Why do you keep repeating that the N3N and the N2S are essentially the same plane?

I recommend that YOU do a google search on "N3N" and "Naval Aircraft Factory". The N3N is an aluminum plane, while the Stearman had wood wings and wood fuselage bulkheads. The landing gear is completely different. The vertical stab and rudder is different. The N3N has 4 ailerons, the N2S has two ailerons, etc. etc.

p.s. my father serviced N3Ns at NAS Glenview during WWII

David
Dave, good comparison and I'll second those differences as you have logically expressed!
Now where can I find a large model plan for the N3N?
The flicka5

Name:	Ec88740.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	417716  
Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 AM
beepee

flicka5,

Got an N3N at the Lone Star flight museum down here in Galveston if you want some pix.

I too have thought of building one.

Bedford
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 AM
fliir

I want to build one as well for reasons of family history. The Kalamazoo Air Zoo also has one. I plan to go down and photograph it soon.

I'm not much of a designer. I was going to copy the structural components of another biplane and do my own outlines.

David
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
flicka5

ORIGINAL: fliir

I want to build one as well for reasons of family history. The Kalamazoo Air Zoo also has one. I plan to go down and photograph it soon.

I'm not much of a designer. I was going to copy the structural components of another biplane and do my own outlines.

David
David, maybe this will help but plans are for a small glo job.
Flicka5

Name:	Om31752.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	417997  
Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
FokkerAce

Hi, all

with good photos or a three-view, we can easily fix up a plan, say the Ziroli or Sterling Stearman (I have a Sterling).

hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
flicka5

ORIGINAL: FokkerAce

Hi, all

with good photos or a three-view, we can easily fix up a plan, say the Ziroli or Sterling Stearman (I have a Sterling).

hope this helps.
I think you are talking about a different aircraft than the N3N? See small attached N3N plan above but it is nice to see a continuation of this subject thread after four years or so. Maybe I'll use the above plan to make a small electic!
Cheers

PS: had to put our Flicka cat down after 17 years of a good life and a recent stay in Florida. Old age gets to us all whether human or feline.

Name:	Bz77503.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	658226  
Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 PM
FokkerAce

the N3N family of aircraft are essentially an all metal/cloth version of the wood/cloth Stearman 70 (NS-1) and the later Boeing/Stearman 73 (PT-13) and 75 (N2S-series), if my references are correct.

What I had meant was, that with a good, trustworthy 3-view, an overhead projector, and a flat wall.....any plan's outlines can be altered to match. Starting with a Stearman.....I imagine that there is not a lot of difference.

This thread got me thinking about this, cause I've wanted something to fly at the lake!

been out fising on the web....found lots of structure picts....but no three-view yet. Got an instructors manual off of eBay...this project can fly if the three-view shows.......HELP

....maybe the Canadian version......it's got a cowl....to hide the G-23 in.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
FokkerAce

forgot...got a lead on a full size version of that 39" plan.....200% would be a nice size!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:13 PM
flicka5

the N3N family of aircraft are essentially an all metal/cloth version of the wood/cloth Stearman 70 (NS-1) and the later Boeing/Stearman 73 (PT-13) and 75 (N2S-series), if my references are correct.

What I had meant was, that with a good, trustworthy 3-view, an overhead projector, and a flat wall.....any plan's outlines can be altered to match. Starting with a Stearman.....I imagine that there is not a lot of difference.

This thread got me thinking about this, cause I've wanted something to fly at the lake!

been out fising on the web....found lots of structure picts....but no three-view yet. Got an instructors manual off of eBay...this project can fly if the three-view shows.......HELP

....maybe the Canadian version......it's got a cowl....to hide the G-23 in.
Attached is a scanned cover from Air Trails, Jan 1940 (15cents/copy back then!). They had super big covers on their magazines back then and it is too big to fit onto my scanner completely. Here we see the N3N with a cowl as used in the US Navy! Why the need to go to a Canadian version? One could put the digital copy of the plan above that I attached to my posting four years back on a floppy or a CD and take it to Kinkos and they could print whatever size scale plan you want to build! Easier than messing around with a projection on a wall which I have used many years ago to scale up some plans. Plus, more accurate!
Cheers

Name:	Jh15113.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	659189  
Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
FokkerAce

OK, so I don't have to go to the Canadian version, but most potos of Navy N3N's don't have the cowl.....maintainance guys musta lost 'em really early on.

My impressions from photos is that the N3N is shorter, has higher tail, bigger tail surfaces.....not true by specs.

Specs:
N3N: span 34'0", lenght 25'6", height 10'10", 305 sq. ft. area.
N2S: span 32'2", lenght 25'1/2", height 9'2", 297 sq. ft. area.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
FokkerAce

Having any progess on that WACo 'one-of' ??? it's a cool plane, too.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM
flicka5

Having any progess on that WACo 'one-of' ??? it's a cool plane, too.
My problem is I have several construction projects going at the same time and havn't got the big Waco finished. Need to build the bottom wing which is the hardest to do because of its shape at the center section. Here is a pic. of the one and only Waco SH3D still flying which I plan to duplicate in miniature.
Cheers

Name:	Xv65247.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	661240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36318.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	661241  
Old 04-11-2007, 03:44 PM
FokkerAce

That doesn't look like a fun fillet on the bottom wing joint. Sorry to hear about flicka the cat

The NAF N3N-3 project looks to be underway!!!!!!
Got the tech manual coming from eBay,
Got the Cook plan coming from Alabama,
Got picts coming from tons of places,
Got assembly diagrams coming from fliir....thanx
Got Sterling Stearman plans in the attic, could use a copy of the flair or ziroli stearman, if anyone has one to share????

Who else wants in on this?

and more importantly, I got my 1/4 Champ off of the building board (whooo hooo), and now I have space again.

Baloonist's rule #1: Keep Fat Side Up!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
flicka5

That doesn't look like a fun fillet on the bottom wing joint.
It isn't so much the bottom wing fillet along the fuse but there is almost a F4U Corsair wing type center section that folds up into the fuse.

What is the Cook plan for the N3N?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:05 PM
FokkerAce

the 39" one above.....see the fine print in the corner.....drawn by bob coon..........oops

would it be like the Hall bulldog or PZP 11 wing/fuse join? (if you're having trouble w/structure)
Old 04-14-2007, 12:48 PM
FokkerAce

N3N -3 'ers..........What size planes are we thinking?

When I work up the plans....I'd like to helpful to you guys too.

I was thinking big....1/4 scale -- 8'6" or 1/5 scale -- 6'8".

any other thoughts to size?

will
Old 04-16-2007, 08:51 AM
FokkerAce

Got one vote for 1/5 scale plans for the N3N-3.

Any others?

Any more photos out there.....could ya send 'em to me, or post them here??? thanx in advance. will

(When the plans become real, we should prolly move this thread to RC Scale!)

Rivet counting:::h yea, the photo above with the cowl ring is an N3N-1, the N3N-3's never had 'em, and I still bet the N3N-1's lost them at the first maintainance visit.[8D]
Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
FokkerAce

Navy N3N-3 Yellow Peril Biplane trainer people:

I see that a '?bookstore' in canada has CD copies of tech manuals (poor reproduction by their own admission) for sale on eBay.

Anyone know about these, or have copies already???? Are these worth aquire-ing for the project?

thanx, will.

The NAF N3N -3 project looks to be underway!!!!!!
Got the tech manual coming from eBay, (here, but is just training manual [] )
Got the Cook plan coming from Alabama, (here!!!)
Got picts coming from tons of places, (some here, thanx!!!!!)
Got assembly diagrams coming from fliir....thanx again!!
Got Sterling Stearman plans in the attic, could use a copy of the flair or ziroli stearman, if anyone has one to share????
update:........got a set of Ziroli plans, and they're here!

will being working on this soon.....anymore help out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.