Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 Extremeflight 88.5" Extra - Build and Fly >

Extremeflight 88.5" Extra - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extremeflight 88.5" Extra - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extremeflight 88.5" Extra - Build and Fly

cool... well better come to our field sometime soon
Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Jake, the EF Extra looks great. I talked with Robert P today and he sang praises on it too! Congrats on a great looking, and flying bird!

Jon
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 PM

Very nice Jake,

I have seen your cap video and believe me guys this Extra video will show you why 3D is popular and how it's done!!

Ya dude I have been with Futaba for 17 year's and after talking with Josey about the 9303, I think a lot of Futaba people will be switching. It's too bad but when you have a little mistake people runaway with it. And they definately have runaway with it on rcu.

Nice Bird, hopefully within a month or so I can share my pic's.

3DAP
Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the kind words 3DAP.

Here is a quick edit for some video... I have more with some tumbles and multiple snaps and rolling cirlces etc. I just grabbed a bit from the first video of the 2nd flight and some of the 3rd video of the last flight. As you can see the pipe is pretty peaky and makes hovering hard. It's also making harriers a bit rocky when it comes on the pipe quicker than I expected. I only have 4 flights on the setup so I have a little bit of work ahead of me. Also never flown a piped setup before so it's going to take some time to get used too it.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7sEwVrmzyg
Old 02-05-2008, 03:08 PM
My Feedback: (74)

Jake nice flying and landing. Give a little time for tuning and you will love the pipe. I dont know if you remember or not but when I first starting flying mine on the pipe I was having a terrible time trying to hover. With a little time to monkey with the pipe setup and the throttle curve I think I have just about gotten it dialed in.

I think that the extra bit of aggravation that came with the pipe was well worth the performance gain.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks Rush!

Ya I am def. liking the pipe... but it made my hovering skills look pretty bad quick! haha. I am toying with the idea of trying the ES pipe over the 1060.. I am hearing better performance and Scott thinks the 1060 might be too small for the 60. I do love the throttle response though.. just awesome

Hopefully I will get some weather so I can play with it this weekend.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for posting the vid.I almost cried,because I really want one,but it will be about 900 to my door in Canada.
I've been saving and spending on electronics to outfit a 50cc with top of the line gear,I almost got everything now,including a superb engine.
This vid will give me incentive to save up for bit more and get me one of the best 50cc Extras in the world [8D]
Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 PM

Maybe you can have it delieved to work or something? Sometimes that saves money.

Trust me when I say you will be very happy with this plane... tracks very well, 3Ds with the best of them and presents much larger in the air. I am looking forward to getting it fine tuned and start practicing IMAC with it. I am already planning on getting another for backup and 3D
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM

BTW the Rollers were pretty good and inverted Harrier looked solid
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Its solid all the way around really. The pipe is causing some problems on upright harriers... 1 click causes it to rock when it comes on the pipe. It's my first pipe setup so just need some fine tuning and me to get another 10 flights on it so I can get used to it.

So far I have yet to find a weak spot in it's abilities

I have some more IMAC type video as well.. going to throw that together and post that shortly.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 PM

Sure the Imac would be good also.I guess you are using or trying to get the throttle curves dialed in on the radio.I have never done them,but read that on a gasser its a must,I guess its somwhat like adding expo or a pitch curve on a Heli.
On the vid all the sound was drowned by music,which was actually ok,you were just covering choppy throttle inputs? Or was there someone breaking in a .40LA on the foreground or a Rotorhead hovering close by ?
The cam guy was ok,and your flying quite good,got a feeling that additional vids will be up there with the better ones.
EF needs some vids on their site.I think you may have some clips that they could use
Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 PM

Nice vid Jake....
Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 AM
My Feedback: (42)

Nice vid Jake. Do you ever make normal landings?

Did ya ever get a weight on it?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Sure the Imac would be good also.I guess you are using or trying to get the throttle curves dialed in on the radio.I have never done them,but read that on a gasser its a must,I guess its somwhat like adding expo or a pitch curve on a Heli.
On the vid all the sound was drowned by music,which was actually ok,you were just covering choppy throttle inputs? Or was there someone breaking in a .40LA on the foreground or a Rotorhead hovering close by ?
The cam guy was ok,and your flying quite good,got a feeling that additional vids will be up there with the better ones.
EF needs some vids on their site.I think you may have some clips that they could use
I actually never used a throttle curve until now.. on a rare occassion I might have used a bit of expo, but on a stock muffler and a throttle linkage setup with like 110-120 travels setup in both directions I found no problems hovering. However when you use a tuned pipe it's a whole different ball game. I am going to play with the lengthing of the pipe to see if I can tune ouy the peakiness.

Funny you should say that about the music.. in the first couple mins you can almost hear a guy yelling and making a bunch of noise with his electric. He was trying to be funny and didn't realize I was recording. There is a whole bunch of talking and noise being made during most of the video. I like music in my videos.. but normally I would let you hear a lot more of the motor.

My camera guy was a lot more shakey than normal I have a lot of footage that just isn't useable... kind of disappointing really.

Thanks FlyMike!

Richard: haha that was actually the first and only harrier landing. The 3 other landings were as normal as can be.

I did weight it althogh I am not sure if my scale is correct. I read another post from a guy who has a similar setup and is 2 pounds lighter. My weight says 18.5 pounds with a heavy spinner and the 1060. It doesn't feel like 18.5 pounds and it sure doesn't fly like it. I have to look into it... its a cheap digital scale that has been dropped and stepped on a couple times.. but I was pretty sure it was accurate.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM

I love the tailslide to tail touch. At least it looked like it was close to touching. You need to work on those rolling harriers. That thing is all over the place. Gaining altitude, losing altitude almost a barrel roll type exit. With a little more practice you will be able to work it OOOUUUT.

JK, love the vid Jake. Can't wait to see more.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:21 PM

I noticed you have the EI on the left of the firewall...Is the batt on the right side....
I would have put the EI on top and moved the batt. to the fus....your left wing dipped..probably from the EI placement and if your CG is off that would expain the wing rock.....Do you remember are conversation about my 74" ? And the thrust angle.. Its still flyin awesome....
Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 PM

hahah Tony! too funny

Mike.. the EI doesn't weigh much and the battery weighs 1.4 oz. It's on top of the fuel tank.

The wing rock is 100% torque and coming on the pipe.. with my pipe setup right now the difference in one click... you can see that in the hover majority of that entire motion is a click or 2 of throttle. I will get it dialed in.. just take a couple changes in pipe length. The CG is back a hair far as well for my tastes... its right at the end of the range right now.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Jake,

Throttle curve will iron out the peaky spots, I had to on the 110" 100cc Yak. Now it really feels like the 88" Yak with hovering around the middle of the stick. It's funny though, the 100cc on composite pipes is real peaky, and throttle curve a must, but on the DA50 on composite pipe is real linear, no throttel curve. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:18 PM

"" but on the DA50 on composite pipe is real linear, no throttel curve. ""

That's because somone at DA took the time to run props and header lengths until they got it right. Every pipe setup has the prospect of these problems until someone does the homework on it. I am going through that with the Torch 90 right now and am the proud owner of about a half dozen props and a header extension on the way.

Wrongway
Old 02-06-2008, 06:34 PM

I am playing with the throttle curve as well... all these new things to get used to all at once. JR vs Futaba Expo, Throttle curve, tuned pipe hehe... I will catch up I swear! hahah
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 PM

Jake here is a resource that can help. Even though they are selling BMB the relationship to tuning length will be similar per engine cc (varying somewhat with strokers or short strokers) and prop length.

http://www.bmb-daempfer.de/

The download page

http://www.bmb-daempfer.de/Download/...angabenBMB.xls

They don't show a 366GT but if you study the relationship that shows a larger loading prop (diameter/pitch) reflects the need for a longer header length.

The column that says [Abstimmungslänge in cm] translates to tuning length in cm and is measured as the air flows from the piston port to the baffle in your pipe.

On my G-62 and CF pipe the tuning length is very close but slightly less that 30 inches fo the Vess 23A. The vess props are weird they really unload the pipe nicely. An NX-23x8 came in 800 rpm lower without the wonderful midrange. Anywho, in the chart to step the DA-50 (closest to what you have) to a 24x10 you need 82 to 84 cm tuning. That translates to 32.28 to 33 inches. One might make an educated guess that your 366 would like

I would be curious to know what your tuning length is presently.

Wrongway

PS if you chose to swing a 24x10 at say 6800-7000 rpm (do-able) that would translate to roughly 42-45 pounds of thrust[X(]
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 PM

This is a good chart that you can match your expected rpm with tuning length.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...b-daempfer.de/

I got this help from Ian Howard (DA-Australia) some time ago. He used these charts to help him get his DA-85 to swing....don't quote me....but I think it was a 28x10 at like 6200. For those looking to use the single in the new 110 inch yak we are talking about pushing 60 lbs of thrust.

If I remember right he set his tuning length to 6500 and then went after the prop that made it perform near that and wound up with what he got.

[EDIT I found his email where I asked him... I read in a thread on the Fl-ying Gi-ants (by Rusty Tumbles) that you were using the DA-85 on a pipe. He said he thought that you were getting 6600 on Mejzlik prop 28x10]

Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Cool.. thanks! Looks like I have some reading to do
Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 PM

If you find any of those German words difficult try the Babble Fish translator

http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM

Alright well here is another video.. all of it is from the 3rd flight. Alittle shakey at times.. my video guy used the fold out screen instead of the eye piece so I had to scrap alot of the snaps and whatnot. This one is mostly imac type stuff with a touch of 3D at the end.

Even has a normal landing for Richard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvIdHRVoJLE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.