Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dual Elevator Servos

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
IscarRep
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dual Elevator Servos

If you already knew the answer, then why did you ask the question?

Because I had a heck of a time getting my plane set up right.I tried the reversing y and then tried a dual elevator setup with my Futaba 7C.With the reversing y I could not get it right. With the 7C I had problems with equal travel between hi and low rates.I finally discarded that idea and ordered the reversed servo.I am using JR 126 MG servos on my Goldberg Obsession's elevators and ailerons.I was glad to see I wasn't the only one with issues setting this up.Also,I asked the question because I was wondering if,when JR reversed the servo,that wouldn't put the travel differential the same on both sides.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:56 AM
3DAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree myself! I have tried cheap servo reverser's and spendy ones, they do not work perfectly. I finally went to a 9 channel radio because I was tired of not having it perfect. With mixing in and mechanical linkages set as perfect as I can, I have it nailed down. If run dualies I will definately get a matchbox or equal.

I just love the phrase Ghetto!!

3DAP
Old 02-02-2008, 08:02 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: joseph185

Do most on 29% and larger planes use an servo reverser or program a slave channel when using dual elevator servos
A slave channel is usually how I set up on both Futaba 9C and 9Z comp radios and my Spektrum radio. Very rarely I use a Y harness, and that always works too. I have never had a problem matching things up I when use Hitec servos regardless of whether or not I program. More times than not I do not use a programmer because the servos are so close that I dont need it. I have found that with most servos, despite the fact that the travel may be ever so slighty out of match, with a little forethought, time and patience you can get 99% perfect travel match by getting the equipment location and geometry right WITHOUT programming or match boxes. I have done this with great success with JR 8711's, Futaba 9151's, 9350's and Hitec 5955, 5945 and 5625 servos. Yes, even with a 5625 you can do it and that is a very sloppy servo.

I am pretty picky with how the throws match up too, I use a pair of 24" long carbon rods taped to the elevator halves to match travel and they have to move in perfect sync at the tips all the way through the range of motion for me to be happy.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 9C I run a mix on the slaved elevator channel, mixing it to itself. I set the mix switch to be the same as the rate switch, and have it set for "on" when in low rate. This way I can fine tune the second elevator to match the primary when using lower rates. Works well, last long time, no five dolla.