Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

antenna routing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:08 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna routing

Usually I have the exit behind the canopy,and then to the top of the fin,but on my Extra I added steel tailbracing, and I am worried that this will give me problems if the antenna dangles around that.I could come out on the bottom,but I got 3 digitals and CF rod and other metal back there also.Is attaching to the fin with the tailbracing going to be a certain issue? I can always try and do a range check,but I'd rather hear from others if this is OK or not to even bother.Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20131.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	917141  
Old 03-30-2008, 08:39 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: antenna routing

Dont exit!

Run a piece of Sullivan Products Gold N Rod (the red) down the fuselage away from the pull pull wires and then thread the antenna down the tube. You can go way back there if you pay attnetion to what you are doing. I use my dremel to drill a hole just big enough for the tube in the first couple of formers on the side of the fuselage and then just fish it back in there the rest of the way. Just tack the tube into place with epoxy at the front hole and it wont move. The tube can move around back there a little bit and it wont hurt a thing in the world. I dont know how many gas planes I have had and I have never ever had the antenna outside of the fuselage.

Another trick is to mount one of your pull pull cables above the rudder servo arm or bellcrank and the other below. This ensures that they will not rub against one another and create harmonics from vibration.

You do that and you will not have any problems.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree to keep it inside, just away from any push pull or exstension wires. I also use the 1/4" clear tubes that you get the K&N wire in. I also use a small piece of fuel tubing where the antenna goes though bulkheads as a grommet.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 AM
nitro wing

There are no pull pull wires,the rudder is straight shot from the back servo,so the fuse only has 3 servo ext. behind the cockpit.
I was thinking of running the tube,and have it stop just before the servos.
Does the antanna have to be pulled out all the way,because it will likely extend past the rudder and dangle around all that metal,or have it just exit the bube by an inch and have the excess S'd between the receiver and beginning of tube?
With my other set ups,I usually had some loose antenna inside and just enough to reach out from the rear deck to the fin,which has never caused a problem on my nitro planes.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

There are no pull pull wires,the rudder is straight shot from the back servo,so the fuse only has 3 servo ext. behind the cockpit.
I was thinking of running the tube,and have it stop just before the servos.
Does the antanna have to be pulled out all the way,because it will likely extend past the rudder and dangle around all that metal,or have it just exit the bube by an inch and have the excess S'd between the receiver and beginning of tube?
With my other set ups,I usually had some loose antenna inside and just enough to reach out from the rear deck to the fin,which has never caused a problem on my nitro planes.

Yes. I wrap the excess around between the receiver and the beginning of the tube. That is an easy and effective way to to it. I just keep the antenna an inch or so away from itself and it works perfectly. That way there is nothing hanging out of the back of the antenna tube.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:47 PM
nitro wing

OK done
Pretty close to maiden now [8D]
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
MikeEast

Cool,
Just be sure and do an engine running range check to make sure that you have no glitches and all should be well.. That is something I do everyday at the field before I begin anyway. [8D]
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM
nitro wing

Yep,will do.I have done 4 preflights now,with a just a tiny list left to do.This is the Midwest Extra that I have a thread on down below.
I am waiting for a cellPro charger which is overdue,but its forcing me to go over this plane over and over and think about at night,to see whats missed or needs to be done.I keep a list and pen nearby,and anything that comes to mind, I promplty add it to the "todo" list and take care of it asap
Old 03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have posted my expericences about antenna routing, but seeing it again I hope you don't mind my adding my observations, and experience.
I have a PAU Edge 540, I have a Brison 3.2 on the nose, a Futaba 9C, 7 servos, throttle, in the cowl, 1 for the choke, in the cowl, 1 in each aileron, 1 for each elevator half, 1 on the rudder, pull-pull. I have been using the small ny-rod instead of cable, I don't trust the cable. But this is not addressing my experience with the antenna. The Edge is built with a tube for the antenna, so hooray, no antenna hanging out! WRONG! I started out with glitches upon glitches, 25 paces away and every servo worked, with out the engine running, start the engine and now I was down to 20 paces. I changed everything, and in the process of changing the reciever, I poked a hole in the bottom of the fuse, and ran the antenna out the bottom and taped it to the bottom. Our Field is 600' long, I can now walk from the pavilion, located in the middle, to the edge of the field, 300' away and still have it.
Just to prove it worked, I changed the reciever back, and put the antenna back in the tube inside, went out to the field to fly, and I had no range, same old, dawned on me I had put the antenna back in the tube, pulled it out ran it out the bottom, and taped it, and lo and behold it was solid again, go figure!

Dale
Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
nitro wing

I will keep your post in mind [
Its a new PCM receiver that had the antenna still coiled up with a twist tie and I actually did a semi range test at about 75 feet engine running at high idle,antenna colapsed in my yard.
So I am optimistic that this in tube and fuse will work,lets hope.Nothing worse than glitching after everything has been built with care.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I failed to say, I am running PCM too. I hope it works! Nothing more expasperating than gliches! Broken airplanes, broken motors, I can deal with, but when the radio doesn't work I get MEAN!! LOL!!

Good luck, pal.

Dale