Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

w to gas planes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default w to gas planes

can anyone help what is a good plane to start in gas with at the moment i am flying nitro engine i have a cap 232 w/h a satio 100 and a filton edge 540 w/h 91 os i am want to go to gas have been flying for two years wanting step up would like to get a very good gas plane but i dont want to go overkill or get one to big that i can't handle i want to start small size as far as gas then work my way up can anyone give me advise thanks mike
Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: w to gas planes

50-60cc size is a very good place to start in gas. My opinion is look at the Wildhare line. Good flying, good quality and reasonable prices.

http://www.wildharerc.com/
Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 PM

i was thinking about the wildhare line but i am not sure
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: mike07

i was thinking about the wildhare line but i am not sure

There are many good quality 50-60cc models out there. Wildhare, Aeroworks, Extreme Flight, PAU, Dietrich Performance, just to name a few, pick one, they are all good. I suggested Wildhare because my dealings with him have always been very good.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I second the vote about wildhare! Not only are the airplanes built extremely well , light and tough to boot...But TOM ( the owner) bends over backwards for his customers!

Also.....I know most guys jump up from the nitro sized aircraft , and want to get their feet wet in the bigger gas stuff , but me personally , i'd skip the 50cc stuff if i was you. They say that bigger does fly better , and i honestly believe that the 50cc planes still fly alot like the nitro planes ( squirly).

If i was you , i would look at the 75cc-100cc aircraft. You won't regret it! You can get yourself a great 33%-35% aircraft , keep it around 24-26lbs , which is pretty easy since there are a lot of really good airframes out there. Buy yourself a DA-85 , and have a power to weight ratio better than you could ever dream of having.

I skipped the 50cc sized aircraft for the simple reason , that almost everyone i talked to , said......JUST GO TO THE 33%-35%........you will want to sell your 50cc in a year and have a better flying airplane anyways.

Yeah......they do cost more.....but if you add it all up , the extra you pay for the setup is worth every penny after you fly it the first time!!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
My Feedback: (50)

How big a gas plane you should jump to depends largely on your experience, not your flying skills and how well you think you are going to fly this airplane. I see it again and again people who can probably fly anything, but with limited experience, gets in an unknown situation, panics and damages or destroys their plane. When I say experience, I mean knowing what to do when the unexpected happens, and not panic. The last example I saw was a guy at my field getting a deadstick at about 300', 100' up from the numbers. In stead of doing some 360s or S's he dived the plane to the numbers, levelled out, glided across the runway, was not able to turn left due to a glider pilot, and semi crashed the plane in unfamilliar territory, he even more or less blamed the glider pilot for standing where he did and preventing him from wearing left to a more suitable area. But the fault was entirely his own for turning his brains off the moment the unexpected happened.
I could rifle of many other situations where pilots do the wrong things, either from the get go or when the unexpected happens. So ask yourself, and if you know any really experienced pilots, if you think you are ready for a 100cc plane or should stick to a 50cc plane as the next step up.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All good advice so far! I would not go smaller than a 50cc size. (and stay away from the 25% planes that will accept a 50cc engine!!!) There are ALOT of 30% + planes that will fly AWESOME 3D w/ a 50cc. Also, keep in mind that EVERYBODY who has flown 35 - 40% planes WILL tell you that BIGGER FLIES BETTER!!! If you can afford it, I believe you will be ahead of the game getting into a 35% er.

As far as what plane to get? Edge, Extra, Yak, Sukhoi, etc.... GET WHAT YOU LIKE!!! They all fly GENERALLY the same, each with their own nit-pik strengths and weaknesses. (I know, I am opening myself up to get FLAMED w/ that comment!!) What I mean is, you can't say one or the other is easier or more forgiving to just fly around the patch (sport flying). As you gain experience and develop your own flying style and preferences, you will be able to pick one type of airframe that you prefer and compliments your flying style.

As far as BRAND of ARF? There are many GREAT ones out there for us today!! Stay with one of the mainstream brands: PAU,WH,EF, they all have great offerings!!! Remember, you get what you pay for, and if you try to skimp and save a few bucks, you may end up VERY disappointed! The larger companies care about their customers and WILL stand behind their products!!

Good luck with your decision and I hope you enjoy the gassers aas much as I have!!!

ONE WORD OF WARNING>>>>ONCE YOU GO GAS, YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!!!

Regards,

Astrohog