Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 BME Edge 540 version 1 (video - fresh video soon)) >

BME Edge 540 version 1 (video - fresh video soon))

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BME Edge 540 version 1 (video - fresh video soon))

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME Edge 540 version 1 (video - fresh video soon))

This design is about 5 years old,its not the fancy laser cutting we see now,but its built tough and straight.I got it cheap as old warehouse stock.It has sheeted foam wings and does not include hardware.I put it together in 4 long evenings,about 25- 30 hours.I made my own rods and there was some extra thought and build involved to fit and secure everything.But it went together really well,without surprises.
Well there was one surprise in the end...it flies really well,better than expected,very agile and stable,couldnt be more happy.I nailed the CG just right and it was hands off and ready for full action right after take off [8D]
I put my Taurus 52 in it and its running perfectly.
Below is a quick vid of flight one and two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQ7r8a_UvA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87133.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	945054  
Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BME Edge 540 version 1 (video)

Nice vid. That engine sounds strong. Rips the prop pretty good. What prop is it?

I have the Edge II with a ZDZ 50 NG and I'm on season 3 with it. Awesome plane.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Its a painted ZingerPro 22x8,works OK for now.
I had more prop rip before,when it was in the Extra 300S from Midwest.The Extra was a bit faster.
I was actually NOT wide open on any of the the level passes [8D]
I got a few props on the way,something more for 3D and less rip.I dont want the decibal police to give me a warning [)]

Joe
I really want to put this motor in the EF Extra later in the year.It looks like its a fair bit bigger than the Edge?
You have both,I guess you can confim that?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Yeah that Taurus would be perfect in the EF Extra. And yes the EF Extra is quite a bit bigger than the Edge. The EF looks more like a 33% sitting next to the Edge. The Edge is 17.5 pounds and the Extra is 18 pounds. I hope these pic's I just took giv eyou an idea.

Name:	Bz77858.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	945306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78333.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	945307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38371.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	945308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82259.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	945309  
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM

Much appreciated [8D]
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Just put another 4 flights on it.
It seems to just do everything quite well,no surprises,no disapointments.Its a keeper [8D]
Old 05-10-2008, 09:08 AM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the exact model and color sitting in a box. I sold it once and bought it back 6 months later. Still NIB. I stripped all the decals and stripes off it. Mine is all white on top now. I liked the black and white stripes on the bottom, so left them alone. I need to paint the cowl white and recover the hatch. The hatch is still teal in color.

I'm just sitting on it. Some day I'll put it together and fly it when I can 3D better. Probably use a lightened G62 on the firewall.

There is a HUGE thread on this model in the ARF forum. It's probably 3 or 4 yrs old, but the search engine will pull it up.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:58 AM

If you are newer to 3D its probably a real good model to advance on,it is very stable (when set up properly),has good slow flight character,it gives you a gentle waning if you are too slow or make big mistakes.All around it flies superbly submissive and predictable,but when you start cranking on the controls,she livens right up [8D]
Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM

I should have made the changes to the wing mounting method when I put it together.A 6/32 screw thru the wing and into the aluminum tube is dumb.
I lost an entire wing panel and the rest came down in a semi controled flat spin and smacked into the tall grass.
I used up all my savings on the last 2 projects (Extra 300S-crash and sold,then bought Edge) and thought flying 50cc this year was over for me.
Luckily the only real damage was the landing gear sheared off and some floor and tray damage,with a few loose joints.The airframe seems well built and was easy to repair.
It is now flying again.Its gained 10 ounces with a smoke system,but still performs excellent and is highly enjoyable.Still Harriers to a crawl,and kept its low speed stability.
Smoke is Skywriter and SuperDri.

Name:	Nl30530.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	961747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79337.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	961748  
Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Glad you got it up and flying again. Mine has had a few close calls with a DA 50 that just wouldn't stay running at low RPM's inverted. But no damage.

Those smoke pic's are awesome.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:40 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is probably going to get built this coming winter. I'm sick of looking at it. I got to either build it or sell it. It's such an old design, nobody would give me $200 for it, so I might as well build it and fly it. I will use a G62 for power. I've heard these can come out tail-heavy if you're not careful.

I have been complaining about mounting wings with the bolt through the wing tube for years. A bunch of people have told me I'm full of bull. I'm not happy you wrecked yours, but I'm happy you got it put back together. Your experience DOES reaffirm my suspicions thoughthose stupid bolts through an aluminum tube is an accident waiting to happen. Who ever came up with that method for securing wings should be shot. [>:] Dumbest thing in Giant Scale.

I just started flying my 90" World Models 300L. It had the same method for attaching the wings. I cut open the root ribs and installed hardwood blocks. Then drilled and installed blind nuts on the back side. I'm using a nylon 1/4-20 bolt to secure my wings from inside the fuse. I have no fear of loosing a wing.

One thing you can do is drill a tiny hole in your wood alignment pins on the tip and trailing edge of the wings. Then slip a little cotter key/pin through the wood pins. I wouldn't use it as my primary method for securing the wings, but it's a good back-up in case you lose a bolt.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 AM

I epoxied a hardwook block into the wingtube ,then drilled and tapped with 6/32.That works well so far.Lots of threads for the bolt to catch.Still not 100% happy with that set up.I'll see how it does over time.CG wont be an issue with a 62.mine is perfect with a pull pull and Taurus 52.My ignition pack is inside the firewall and the flightpack around the wingtube.very neutral CG.Build it,it flies great,and I've had lots of airplanes to compare to