Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Scratch built Sukhoi engine.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Scratch built Sukhoi engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:58 PM
samtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch built Sukhoi engine.

I've got some plans for a 80" wing span Sukhoi 26. The hard part is making up my mind about which engine to use... The plans are from a Canadain named Jack Swift in the middle to late eighties. He called for a Enya 120... Well... that just doesn't seem man enough for what I would like to do....
I'm planning on flying this plane striclty for Imac. My wild guess is that this plane will come in at aroung 14 pounds all up weight... here's the hard part.... I allready have a Saito 180... I need unlimited vertical. Should I just use it or should I go hunting for a 220?
The engine is a spare for my 3D plane which only wieghs 9.5 pounds. Screaming vertical but I'm not so sure about the vertical on a 14 pound plane...
What are your thoughts? 180 or 220?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scratch built Sukhoi engine.

What is the wing area?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:38 PM
samtech

I think it's around 1100 square inches if I remember correctly. It's a fully sheeted model so is a bit heavy by todays standards. I also plan on painting the whole thing, so 14 pounds is my best guess. Maybe a little more or less... A little high on the wing loading but still exceptable.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Bass1

I've got an older "Miles Reed" Extra 260 with an 80" span and a wing area of 1160sq. inches. Sheeted foam stabs, built up main wing. Fuse length is 66' from bottom rudder to end of spinner. It weighs 15lbs. even and is powered with a ZDZ 40. Great IMAC power and flier> (at least up to the Sportsman Class as that's as far as I've gone) Also does some great Lomcevaks with the short fuse[8D].
Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Samtech

I would rethink my IMAC plans because a machine that size doesn't have many good Motor choices especially for IMAC.

Stick with the lighter newer designs.

My 2 cents I wouldn't go less then 50cc unless the ZDZ 40 would work for you.

Best of Luck

Ian
Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM
samtech

Good advise but there is one major constraint... the fuse being 67 inches long is the longest model that will fit in my car... So I'm looking to use my Saito 180 or bite the bullet and buy a 220... but I'm also thinking about a moki/mark 180 or 210. They're a little heavy but seeing that the plane has to ride in the car with me... gas is out. It's just to smelly. I don't really mind cleaning the slime off... much...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I saw the thread title I thought you where building a radial to put in the Sukhoi.

Mike
Old 06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Bass1

When I saw the thread title I thought you where building a radial to put in the Sukhoi.
That was my impression also. I was thinking that we have one "real serious" modeler here!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 PM
samtech

Thats funny you mention that....Not this one. That is still the plan but it will have to wait untill next year. This plane is to fly imac... the next one might be THE radial. But just as many modelers....I have a lot of progects to build first. This imac plane.. a pattern plane... and a hot rod speed plane... a bigger car... Then I'll get to the radial... if I have any money left.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

A good broken in 180 should have more power than a new 220. It takes a few flights to get the best power from any new motor. Try the 180 and you may find that this works for you.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Moki 1.80 should fly a 14-15 pound Sukhoi nicely once broken in and propped well.