Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How Much Aileron Travel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:17 PM
foamcutter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Aileron Travel?

I need some help. I am building a 40% Rose Parakeet Biplane. It has 90 inch wing span, projected to weigh between 20 and 25 pounds. Ailerons on the bottom wing only, they have a cord of 4.25 inches and span of 31 inches each on a wing with a cord of 14 inches and 90 inch span. I am trying to hide the servos and linkage inside the wing, this limits the amount of travel I can get. How much travel do you think I need to be adequate? I am putting a 3.7cu in chainsaw engine on the front. This plane will not be doing 3D stuff would like it to be able to do some aerobatics. How much travel on the ailerons do I need? Thanks for the help guys. Ron
Old 05-14-2003, 07:29 PM
Stick Jammer

I would think 20 degrees would be plenty for high rates.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:36 PM
foamcutter

Thanks for the imput Stick Jammer. I measured what 20 degrees would be in deflection last night and that will give 3 inches from full up to full down. That sure looks like a lot! But that's why I put in this post to see what others thought. Thanks
Old 05-16-2003, 01:02 AM
Stick Jammer

Yeah, that'll be plenty. Low rate can be much less, maybe 15 degrees.