Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale Flyers in IMAA?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Scale Flyers in IMAA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Erich_F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Flyers in IMAA?

How many of you fellow Giant Scale aircraft flyers out there bother with IMAA membership, just to participate in 1 or 2 fly-ins per year? I think that clubs that restrict their fly-ins to only IMAA members, are really limiting their fund raising and participant potential, just for the sake of IMAA sanctioning (meaningless).

I've participated in Big Birds that allow anyone with a Big Bird (defined as 80/60 or true 25% scale) to fly, and they draw 100-150 pilots and tons of spectators.

So, let the poll speak for itself, am I cheap *******, or just being reasonable?

Erich
Old 05-17-2003, 12:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say reasonable...

Jerry
Old 05-17-2003, 02:56 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
I'd say cheap!
Jeeez, it's only $20/yr, you can't buy a good pilot for that amount.
They're the SIG to AMA for giant scale so I support them.
The fun fly's are not all about making money, hopefully the club will cover expenses and make a few bucks. If you just want to make money, I agree, let anyone fly.
Regards,
Jon
Old 05-19-2003, 11:00 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with F106A.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:22 PM
rdcracer

Hey I'm hosting a medium scale inverted flight fly in but you must be a member in MSIF which is only $20.00 per year. Want to join?

These things nicle and dime you to death and provide you nothing!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:58 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't believe the responses from some of you flyers. I am in northwestern Okla. and there is not any events within a three hour drive that is not a big bird fly-in. If your non IMAA events are being hosted, where are they being held?
Every year I attend at least 5 big bird fly-ins of the 8 or 9 available. All within a two hour drive and I enjoy each of them.
As far as IMAC, our club hosted the Okla IMAC Championship in '98 and the IMAC National Championship in '99 and it was not worth the effort. We did have a few flyers who traveled great distances to attend, and we appreciated each of them. But there was not a third of the number that attend the annual IMAA Rally.
After that experience we did bid to host the IMAA Rally of the Giants in 2000.
Save your twenty bucks and buy some golf balls.

Kep'em Flyin
Rich
Old 05-21-2003, 02:30 AM
rdcracer

Hey I'll be the first one to admit when I'm wrong so maybe someone can enlighten me. What does this organization do for me? I pay my dues to be a member and they provide what. I know it's only $20.00 but where does it go and what does it do?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default IMAA

jwrich I can't believe the responses from some of you flyers. I am in northwestern Okla. and there is not any events within a three hour drive that is not a big bird fly-in. If your non IMAA events are being hosted, where are they being held?
Every year I attend at least 5 big bird fly-ins of the 8 or 9 available. All within a two hour drive and I enjoy each of them.
As far as IMAC, our club hosted the Okla IMAC Championship in '98 and the IMAC National Championship in '99 and it was not worth the effort. We did have a few flyers who traveled great distances to attend, and we appreciated each of them. But there was not a third of the number that attend the annual IMAA Rally.
After that experience we did bid to host the IMAA Rally of the Giants in 2000.
Save your twenty bucks and buy some golf balls.

Kep'em Flyin
Rich

You are lucky IMO. Here in California IMAC and Giant scale fly ins are not as popular like back in the midwest. It seems all the events are located around Champaign, Illinois (sp?).

In California ITSELF, there are 2, MAYBE 3 IMAC meets. California is 700 miles long! Back there, you guys got IMAC and IMAA meets every week!

I think its nice every once in a while to do some competing for fun and challenge our flying skills.

To me IMAA is cool, but I am not spending any money on it either, but I just wish we could have more giant scale fly ins and IMAC meets.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:16 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

I have been an IMAA member since 1982 and still am. I guess the main reason that I stay a member is for the magazine. It's pretty good and worth $20 to me.

In the early days of the IMAA, High Flight was about the only place you could get the latest information on giant scale. Now that info is everywhere. I participate in about 6 or 7 giant scale flyins a season here in Texas. Maybe 1 out of 6 or 7 events is IMAA sanctioned.

In my opinion the IMAA almost fatally shot it's self in the foot many years ago by insisting that any clubs putting on an IMAA sanctioned event not give any trophies or plaques other than for something as silly as "Longest Distance Traveled". I have been to several IMAA events that did give out trophies for "Pilots Choice", "Best Civilian", "Best Warbird", etc. These were not competition awards but rather recognition of the efforts by some of the participants and were voted on by the pilots. The club simply did not advertise that they were doing this. I saw a photo once in a High Flight event report of someone proudly holding up a plaque with the sarcastic caption to the effect "What's Wrong With This Picture?". Only in the last few High Flight magazines have I noticed that the tide may be starting to turn on the issue.

I am sure that some if not most of the IMAA officers are reading this thread and I challange them to respond and tell us what the IMAA is doing for us today and why giant scale modelers should join.

Ken
IMAA2589
Old 05-21-2003, 12:32 PM
cubfan

Default IMAA

I have been a member since the mid-eighties, but let it go this year because of some of these issues. It seems that the clubs in this area have gone to having G/S fly-ins that are not sanctioned by the IMAA because of the members only rule. We used to sign up members at fly-ins when non-members were allowed to come. What is wrong with letting non IMAA members fly at the meets or give awards?? I think they are just hurting themselves by having this attitude Johnny
Old 05-21-2003, 12:41 PM
F106A

Ken,
I totally disagree with your premise. IMAA was founded on the principle of a low key, non competitive organization and fun flys.
My wife and I go to fun flys to get away for a weekend, sit under my tent at some of the best fields in the NE, get some flights in and hang out with modelers that we see every year on the circuit, go to dinner, maybe take in a movie; basically a mini vacation doing what I love to do.
The competition issue started around 4 years ago, seems that, for some reason, some members wanted a "low key" competition: judging models, best flight, etc. It's not what the IMAA is all about. I know some clubs are trying to get around it by having awards for longest distance traveled, etc. Because someone drives farther than me and was awarded a plaque, does that make him a better modeler than me? Some clubs also try to get around the rule by letting the spectators pick the "best model" when they come on the field during the lunch break. If that's the case, I won't put my model out for display: I don't want to be judged, especially by people that have no knowledge of modeling. All week long I'm evaluated and I'm not going to be evaluated on the weekend. For those that want to be in competition there are plenty of opportunities, IMAC, SCALEMASTERS, etc.
I hope that the IMAA officers reading this don't cave in on the competition issue.
Regards,
Jon
Old 05-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I joined the IMAA many years ago when they were a layed back organization and had their priorities straight.

Then, the garbage politics started happening, starting with the firing of their webmaster over a really stupid "power grab" by the then editor Roger something or other.

After that, it was all downhill and the organization finally joined the AMA as a SIG just to survive.

I fly only giants. But I don't need 'em, don't want 'em, and am not going to waste a hard earned $20 just for a magazine full of ads.

Highflight
Old 05-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Big_Bird

Jon, I completely agree with you on hoping that the officers don't cave in on the competition issue. However, that being said, I see that awarding plaques for "Best Civilian", etc. should not be discouraged providing that the pilots participating do the voting and that the award is not for structured competition. I have received many plaques voted on in this manner and they mean a lot more to me because my fellow pilots saw fit to vote for my plane. I will not fly in a giant scale event that is a competition event.

Jon, you need to re-read my previous post because I strongly endorse the original IMAA concept of non competition and flying for fun.

I also believe that IMAA sanctioned events should be open to non IMAA members with a small landing fee reduction for IMAA members. The IMAA could provide 4 complementary memberships to be given away at these flyins to non IMAA members to be filled out on the spot and the sponsoring club return these to the IMAA.

I've read that "I'm not going to spend my hard earned $20 on a magazine". I certainly understand the term "hard earned $20" because I'm retired and living on savings. However, if you are into giant scale and going to big bird flyins, $20 is pretty insignificant. Most wooden props cost more than that.

I will be pretty disappointed if none of the officers choose to enter into this discussion. In fact, I'm going to send them an e-mail and invite them over here.

Ken
IMAA2589
Since 1982
Old 05-21-2003, 03:59 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Giant Scale Flyers in IMAA?

Originally posted by Erich_F
How many of you fellow Giant Scale aircraft flyers out there bother with IMAA membership, just to participate in 1 or 2 fly-ins per year? I think that clubs that restrict their fly-ins to only IMAA members, are really limiting their fund raising and participant potential, just for the sake of IMAA sanctioning (meaningless).

I've participated in Big Birds that allow anyone with a Big Bird (defined as 80/60 or true 25% scale) to fly, and they draw 100-150 pilots and tons of spectators.

So, let the poll speak for itself, am I cheap *******, or just being reasonable?

Erich
I would say you are a reasonable cheap *******.
I pay the $20 each year but I don't see where it gets me anything. BTW you have to add $10 to get the mag now and I don't see that it is worth it so I just pay $20.
IMAA meets are dissappearing in this part of the country(NW). At most of the meets the fliers pull up and go home if a little wind or rain shows up. Its hardly worth it to go to the few meets scheduled.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:35 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

If you don't want to be judged then don't, just come to fly but many like the idea of competition to see how your model stacks up against the master builders. As to $20 I can save that up in my penny jar in a couple of months.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:28 AM
rdcracer

Well I guess My point is taken. There have been 8 posts since I asked what does IMAA do for your $20.00 and no one has given an answer. I don't mind the $20.00 but... WHY!!!!. Hey I'll take your money and give you nothing all day long. Sounds like a sweet deal to me. If I sound cynical I raced for 20 years and paid for ROAR all that time.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:52 AM
F106A

rdracer,
Some of the money goes to the magazine, some for supplies, some for expenses, etc. I don't have a clue what percentage goes where and don't really care, $20 is chump change compared to what I spend on the hobby every year. If you're that interested contact IMAA at http://www.fly-imaa.org/ and ask for a breakdown of income/expenses.
Taildragger, you're right, if a majority of members want to turn fun flys into competition events, that's fine, majority rules, then it becomes real simple for me, I just won't attend, no big deal.
Regards,
Jon
Old 05-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Capt. Crackup

I have to say that there are 2 reasons that I am a member of IMAA.........
1)so I can attend giant scale flyins..........

2) to receive High Flight magizine......which by the way is much much mmmmmmmuuuuuccccchhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!better than Model Aviation that AMA provides......
Old 05-24-2003, 02:44 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

The IMAA and the AMA does nothing for me other than let me fly at a club field. If I choose to fly at an IMAA event, then I show them my IMAA and AMA card. If I choose to fly at an AMA event, then I just show my AMA. If I just fly at the local club then just the AMA card is enough. That's about all you get for the $. It's still cheaper than a couple of rounds of golf with a cart or filling up the boat to go fishing, ect.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:04 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out in the NW few if any events are IMAA sanctioned. Therefore IMAA doesn't do anything for us and we don't join. Even IMAC doesn't make you join if you want to compete.