Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dave Reid's "Nightmare"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 06:27 PM
T28Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Reid's "Nightmare"

Ok guys.... don't laugh at this one...

I'm in the final stages of building the 84" 'Nightmare' by Reid's Quality Model Products. Yes, the name is Nightmare.... why would one want to put a name like that on a perfectly good airplane?? Could the name be an omen?!

This is a pretty airplane... low wing, nice lines, short-coupled. The kit was actually very nice... good wood, excellent fiberglass parts, etc. It's going to be 87 1/4" wingspan rather than the advertised 84" (they forgot to account for the wing tips!). It will probably come in right at about 16 pounds with the Brison 2.6 I'm using with Bisson muffler. Due to moving things around its not going to require any additional weight to balance.

Trouble is the instructions are TERRIBLE!! I'm a good builder so didn't have a problem putting it together.. I used carbon fiber to reinforce certain areas that didn't look quite right, etc. Modified the wings for bolt-on rather than the simple single dowel at the front. Glassed the center section, moved the fuel tank to the CG line, etc.

Question - Has anyone ever built one of these?? The plans do not list CG, control throws, thrust lines, or anything! I set up everything at 0 - 0. All incidences, engine offset, are at 0. A call to Don Reid's number got me CG, but no contol throws. As short-coupled as it appears to be I would imagine using not more than about 3/8" elevator throw each direction, 1" rudder each way, 3/8" each direction for ailerons... I was going to use these for lo-rate and dial in a little bit more for hi, just in case.

Does anyone out there have any input as to whether these are about right?? Should I take a LOT of pictures before I fly it the first time??

Any input and help will be greatly appreciated. About two weeks away from first flight.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:21 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Please post a picture of you nightmare! Ive never heard of it before....

Regards
Mark
Old 06-05-2003, 05:22 PM
T28Driver

Default Help from Reid's

Hi Guys,
Dave Reid got in contact with me concerning the control throws... a very nice gentleman and very good in providing quick customer service! He recommended as much rudder as possible, and about 1 1/4up, 7/8 down on ailerons, and 1" up, 7/8" down on elevators.

Seems like a lot to me, but like Dave said, use the dual-rates, dial in 60% of recommended and go for it.

Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:45 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Thats a very nice looking plane. Be sure to post pics of your's
Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
T28Driver

Default RE: Dave Reid's "Nightmare"

Wow, a lot of time has passed...... the wife and I sold our company, had to move to Oklahoma for a few years (while the planes sat in Wyoming), moved back to Wyoming last year...remodeled the house..... and now I can breath again!!

Here are a few pics of the Nitemare, as promised many years ago!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Dave Reid's

7 years goes by quick! Nice plane T28!

I guess Quality Model Products is gone now.

http://www.reidsmodels.com/