Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

250° F - is that too hot?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

250° F - is that too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 250° F - is that too hot?

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Temperature redlining is something I've been in disagreement with some engineers over for a couple of years. Without the whole song and dance, you really never want to achieve redline or even close to it. To make it there means an engine tear down and rebuild or worse, a replacement. You should never have an engine running so hot, so loaded, or so undersized that it burns itself up trying to get the job done.
Brief excursions into higher temps, ie KE spins etc, are much different than continuous operation in that range. As soon as we back off the throttle things cool quickly.
As mentioned, I have had an engine hit a tad over 400* in flight multiple times with no adverse affects to date, 15 gallons or more.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not necessarily. You have warm ground temps rising off the surface that could impact outlet draw. Plus you don't have the forward motion that assists in moving air through the cowl. I had an engine that would warm up on the ground at idle rpm but would cool off some once the rpm was increased a little. Unless we elect to baffle our engines just like full scale opposed recips we will need to pay attention to things a little better than most do. Even full scalers try to keep the prop into the wind when on the ground as much as possible for better cooling.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: noahb

another thing that helped my temps alot was to make a low pressure lip on the cooling exit on my cowling. My temps dropped like 40 deg. when I did this mod. Could not believe that I was getting that much high pressure build up right there. I have mine baffled which helped, but man did the low pressure lip help out a bunch.
Thats pretty interesting....got a pic of that ?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe,

It's an easy thing to do. On a fiberglass cowl on the bottom of the cowl you just use an exacto to cut a score into the fiberglass (not all the way through) the cowl about 1/4 to 1/2 inch back from the front of the opening towards the front of the cowl which is the same width of the opening, use a dremel to cut the sides of the score all the way through from the opening to the score line, bend the fiberglass down so that it's at least at a 30 degree angle into the airflow, add a little CA to the area you cut to make it hold shapea nd there ya go. This creates turbulence at that point and draws air from the cowl.

On canister cutouts with wood planes, I use 1/8 tri-stock at the front of the cutout to get the same effect to help vent the heat from the fuselage

If no one posts a pic, I'll go out to my C-Arf and get you some
Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
bubbagates

Actually here is a pic of a new cowl from C-Arf's site, you can easily see it on the bottom of the cowl. They just mold it in for you. Just do it like I describe above and you can do it easily
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78634.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1189689  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
RTK

Louvers work great too. Some home depots have them in assorted sizes.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Local hardware store. Wall vents cut down to fit. They could be attached a bit neater than I did but they work.

Name:	Db85978.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1189714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36240.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1189715  
Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Joe,

It's an easy thing to do. On a fiberglass cowl on the bottom of the cowl you just use an exacto to cut a score into the fiberglass (not all the way through) the cowl about 1/4 to 1/2 inch back from the front of the opening towards the front of the cowl which is the same width of the opening, use a dremel to cut the sides of the score all the way through from the opening to the score line, bend the fiberglass down so that it's at least at a 30 degree angle into the airflow, add a little CA to the area you cut to make it hold shapea nd there ya go. This creates turbulence at that point and draws air from the cowl.

On canister cutouts with wood planes, I use 1/8 tri-stock at the front of the cutout to get the same effect to help vent the heat from the fuselage

Thanks! That helps alot. Seems pretty easy so I'll give it a try on my 110" EF
Old 04-30-2009, 07:42 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Joe,

Thanks! That helps alot. Seems pretty easy so I'll give it a try on my 110" EF
Post pic's. I may want to use it on my 88" EF.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 PM
branwell

Hi Josey,

I have the 110 EF Yak with the BME 116 no fin motor.

With the cowl on and no baffling, the motor hit 310 in about 15 seconds at full throttle on the ground with a Mejzlik 28-10.

With baffling, and the pipe tunnel open, with a second light firewall in the pipe tunnel just before the landing gear, and the covering opened up between the scale oil cooler and the landing gear, the motor runs at 225 under the same circumstances.

On another note, it was 92 degrees the other day and the plane became hard to start. As soon as the choke prime was gone, it would quit.
Given the carb between the mufflers and all the incoming air forced over the fins I assumed a heat related issue.
I cut another hole in the scale louvers just in front of the carb and siliconed a 1/4 thick bit of lawn mower filter foam inside. The idea was to let cool air in and not in a turbulent way. Haven't had any problems since.

Branwell
Old 05-02-2009, 01:54 PM
RTK

It was vapor locking, I've had it happen to me before. Rcexell, 3W, and other ignitions can also crap out on you from heat. CH seems to be the best at tolerating heat.

Most people don't understand how well baffling really works with any engine, especially the light power house BME's. You have proven this true, but most people still won't believe you, very few ever believed me.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 PM
JoeAirPort

I have a sort of a similar setup as branwell on my 88" EF Yak. The pipe tunnel entrance is open but the tunnel is empty. The tunnel exit opening has the covering removed on the bottom. Question: Does my oil pan create that negative pressure like the modification you guys were talking about doing? If not I was thinking of cutting the trailing edge of the oil pan on both bottom corners and curving the FG down to create that lip needed to draw air out of the cowling. I also wonder if doing this at the pipe tunnel exit would help. I have no temp readings to share. The engine runs great but more cooling is more power.

Name:	Db84246.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1190710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55618.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1190711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71565.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1190712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22531.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1190713  
Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 PM
RTK

Put a couple of good sized lips, louvers, etc., in front of those back cut outs and it should increase draw. More air flow is always better.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Josey Wales

Im going to try and make some baffles out of 1/4 balsa sheets for the front. It seems like it is plenty strong but I will use some light glass for added strength. I already have the bottom of my oil pan cut so I cant do the lip unless I glue an extra piece on the end. I also cut out the louver vents on the sides of the cowl not sure if it will help but it was pretty easy to do.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 PM
branwell

Hi Joe,

Yes, your oil cooler will create a vacuum directly behind it.

I am not sure it will create a vacuum as far back as you have your tunnel opened. If you are getting too hot, I would close up the tunnel covering back there and open it right behind the cooler to the landing gear.

How much vacuum is created you might ask?
Enough that on my plane, its sucking the oil from the exhausts back up and into the cowl leaving a nasty mess. While I will keep an eye on the temperature, I am going to close off some of the exit area so my cowl is closer to neutral pressure.

Branwell
Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 PM
branwell

Joe,

What tool did you use to cut out the louver vents? Do you have a pic or two?

Thanks,

Branwell
Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 PM
RTK

Hmmm, if it is sucking it back into the cowl the the flow seems to be going the wrong way....................
I've cut louvers before with a dremel and a small carbide coated tip, go slow and be careful of slips
Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 PM
branwell

Hi RTK,

It sucking up and into the cowl from the exhaust cut outs. From there, its traveling back and out where the oil cooler is creating a vacuum. Never seen anything like it, but I have never had a plane with a round cowl and scale oil cooler acting as a dam. All I can say is DAMMM :-)

Branwell

Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
RTK

OK, I understand. You are pulling from the exhaust pipe (s) (stock) back up and out the back. I ASSumed you were pulling from the back forward, duh..........I'm a little slow sometimes.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: branwell

Joe,

What tool did you use to cut out the louver vents? Do you have a pic or two?

Thanks,

Branwell
I just used a dremel with a cut-off wheel. I dont know if it will help but it can't hurt

I will go back and clean up the slots tomorrow

Name:	Jh14695.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1190882  
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
JoeAirPort

Actually I was thinking that I would do both the oil cooler dam AND the pipe tunnel exit dam. That way I could draw more air through the front baffling. The more the marrier.

You branwell's you are probably right....maybe doing both of these is not going to work. Maybe it will end up drawing air backwards through the pipe tunnel instead of through the front of the cowling where I want it. It might actually be better to block my pipe tunnel like you said. Then make the dam on my oil pan with a bigger opening there? Hmmm.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
branwell

Hi Joe,

I think I am going to try that, and maybe a few other things. I have a spare cowl as the Brake Clean I sprayed inside the cowl to clean it out had an altercation with the paint. :-)

Branwell
Old 05-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Josey Wales

Hi Joe,

I think I am going to try that, and maybe a few other things. I have a spare cowl as the Brake Clean I sprayed inside the cowl to clean it out had an altercation with the paint. :-)

Branwell
Sounds good..I got my baffle glued in today..didnt get to fly but I ran the engine to make sure the clearances were good....Im going to add a lip as well.

Name:	Ay73517.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1195185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11579.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1195186  
Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: RTK

Put a couple of good sized lips, louvers, etc., in front of those back cut outs and it should increase draw. More air flow is always better.
Are you talking about the open tunnel holes in the tail in Joe's pic ?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Hi Joe,

Branwell
Sounds good..I got my baffle glued in today..didnt get to fly but I ran the engine to make sure the clearances were good....Im going to add a lip as well.
Now that's a good lookin baffle setup right there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.