Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

How does the TME smoke pump work?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How does the TME smoke pump work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 05:33 PM
sizam
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the TME smoke pump work?

I thought that you control the flow to the engine by connecting the pump to a channel and as you crank the channel up or down it increases or decreases flow? If that is the case why do they sell a 'remote flow-control valve'?
Old 06-18-2003, 06:09 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

From http://www.crcja.org/faq/smoke.htm

"TME Simple smoke Pump II come with two leads. One is for the RX for what ever channel you are going to use. It can be any channel as ATV is not required."

Looks like the radio only turns the pump on and off. The valve controls the flow.

I don't smoke, but it seemed like an interesting question.
Roger
Old 06-18-2003, 06:35 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yup, its either on or off, you plug a battery right into it and you plug the smoke pump into your RX on an on or off channel, then you adjust the smoke by adjusting the valve inline.

I have had two and like them.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:13 PM
sizam
My Feedback: (6)

And this is a reasonable/good system? Seems kinda janky to me, you should be able to control the speed of the pump with the Rx. What happens when you throttle up and down but the oil keeps a constant rate, seems like you'd get wasted/unused oil spurting out.... However, its about half as much as the slimline system which lets you control the flow with the Tx, does the TME work well enough?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:45 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It works fine, but you do get a bit more smoke at a lower throttle setting, and a bit thinner at the top end. I dont have any good pics of vid, but it does work. Its a great system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87594_167.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	50878  
Old 06-18-2003, 09:07 PM
chris100

I have one of these and they do work well. I have heard of people wiring an electronic speed control in between the battery and pump and using that to adjust oil flow from the TX. Should be fairly easy to set up.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:56 AM
Doug Brindle
My Feedback: (1)

Default tme

TME gives good smoke. No variable speed pumping on the TME.

Mine (and other's I know) have started to leak after about 7-10 gallons of smoke thru them.... I mounted the pump to the fuse on rubber grommets using the mounting tab on the pump. One guy says his doesn't leak, but he just wraps the pump in foam and holds it in place with velcro-rubber bands and eyehooks.

I just bought the sullivan - and I like it so far. It's a welded pump, not riveted like the TME, so hopefully it wont leak at all. It's a little more compact too... but the pump motor isn't as "big".