Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

26cc engine, what airframe?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

26cc engine, what airframe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 26cc engine, what airframe?

ORIGINAL: ro347

Basically a 1.20 size plane at about 10lbs flying weight.... for 3D
Yes... but don't use a Zenoah G-26 for anything 3D... it is simply too heavy of a motor and trades reliability for performance.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
acerc

How about a 20cc profile with removable wimgs? http://www.swanyshouse.com/index.aspx I have the primo with a 20cc RCGF. Any flyin style is no problem and wil hover all day or shoot for the moon. Definately would fit in a car with the removable wing's.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 PM
AA5BY

ORIGINAL: jp1961

I'd look for a Ultrastick 1.20 lite. They don't sell it new anymore, but you should be able to find one used. I have a Zenoah 20cc engine on it, but it's just a tad underpowered. A 26cc would be perfect.
Jeff
I also have an USL with a Zenoah G-20 (20cc) and it is a super combo with unlimited vertical albeit slowly vertical with an 8oz fuel tank. IIRC it is about two oz under ten lbs. I've also read reports that the Zenoah G-26 cannot do unlimited vertical with that plane... the power difference between the G-20 and G-26 can't overcome the additional weight of the G-26.

I agree with those who are saying a ten pound 3D machine needs 30-35 cc and it is hard to do ten lbs with a heavy model engine so engine weight is important.

I enjoyed very much the comments by ahicks about wing area. Last winter I designed and built a plane to use some surplus wings meant for a 100cc plane, which were 86" plus round tips added ten inches for a total of 96". It weighs 16.5 lbs and is powered by a MLD-35 and is an absolutely fun plane to fly for many of the reasons that ahicks points out. It does wonderful aerobatics and flies smooth. It climbs vertically to very respectable heights for hammer heads and spins. It does large loops and great axial rolls and will knife edge from horizon to horizon easily with very little coupling. When using flaps it seems like the landing approach is in slow motion with the nose up and a little power on for a great shallow slow glide slope. It is not a fast flyer... but flies graceful.

The maiden video shows its character somewhat though keep in mind that no flaps were used on the landing as the elevator mix had not been set yet. Also keep in mind that I've reached geezer age and was not looking for either a 3D plane or one that was fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QINu1...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OP never came back here?