Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

TT TOC 33% Yak or Extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

TT TOC 33% Yak or Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
scalenut07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT TOC 33% Yak or Extra 260

What do you guys think of the TT TOC Yak or Extra 260? Do they fly well, built well? What was your setup, motor etc..... I am looking at buying one or the other. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I plan on using it for IMAC competition next year, not much 3D. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: TT TOC 33% Yak or Extra 260

My preference is the Extra 260. Mostly for the looks. Not putting down the Yak mind you. I'm like you in that 3 D is not emulating the actions of real aircraft and I'm old school on how to simulating and make my flights look closer to real. This is my bag. That said the engine I'm using is the MLD 28 cc. Wing span of 71" on my bird would not hurt to have a little more, but I got a good deal on the Seagull Extra 260 I using. Will be using my 2.4 GTZ in this one with Hitec servos through out.
I know there are guys here that have been doing the giant scale scene a lot longer than myself so I appreciate your question and will be watching what others have to say.[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

I have the 33% Yak and find it to be very well made. It is very light as well as torsionally stiff.

Personally I prefer the look of the Extra 260 but I was able to purchase my Yak for a great price (used). My Yak is significantly overpowered as I put a BME 110 in it, and will use the airframe as a test bed for the engine. I also have a mixture of servos I had lying around waiting for a larger plane (along with the engine): JR 8711 on rudder, 8411's on ailerons, Hitec HS-5955 on elevators. If I was setting out to buy this plane and didn't have the big twin, I would have used an 80-85cc single (DA, 3W, ZDZ, or possibly the MT Engines 80 to save a few bucks, or buy a used engine - in fact when I move my twin to a larger airframe I will use my 10 year-old piped ZDZ80 in the Yak). I prefer top-quality servos so I wouldn't skimp there.

I have not yet flown the Yak but I have flown the Extra 260 and it is a very nice flying plane. It snaps true and flies straight as an arrow.

Honestly I will recommend either plane. Just pick the one you like and enjoy it. It really is a preference thing, as the Yak MAY be a little better for 3D while the Extra MAY be slightly better for IMAC.

Thunder Tiger/Ace is relatively new to distributing these kits but seems to be very supportive of the line. The manufacturer has been in the giant scale business for at least 9 years that I can remember through several different distributors (TOC Models, Aviation Models, TOC-1, TOC Extreme, etc). My Yak is my 3rd plane from the company and I put the fit and finish at the same level as any other builder on the market.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 AM
scalenut07

Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen. Now, what about the hardware, landing gear and wing tubes that come with the plane. Is the hardware ok, or does it need replaced? Landing gear and wing/stab tubes, does it need replaced with aftermarket carbon parts? By the way, is the stab removable on either plane? Thanks for taking the time to help and answer some questions that I have.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

One thing to remember is the altitude that your going to be flying in. I would consider you use a motor a little larger due to altitude power loss.
Terry
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

My Yak has all stock hardware, except I replaced the pushrods with turnbuckles from the RC car section of the LHS. Gear is solid, wing and stab tubes are fine (aluminum), and all the screws are SAE (not metric, which can be hard to replace) and high quality. The stabs bolt on.

I am sure I could save some weight by switching to carbon tubes and landing gear, but the plane is so light I don't see a need at this time.

I grew up flying at 4500' elevation so I understand the issue with power and wing loading. I forgot to check your location when I originally posted. The Springs are 50% higher still, and in the summer I know your density altitude can exceed 10,000'. You MAY want to consider more power, but at the same time it isn't worth it if you make the plane much heavier than it needs to be. It is a light airframe and will build out to around 22# or less using an 80cc single and all the stock hardware. Carbon tubes/gear will save an extra 8-12 oz over this, for a couple of hundred dollars investment.

A strong 80cc single will give you somewhere over 40# - 45# of thrust. A 100cc twin will give you just over 50# but at the cost of a few pounds of weight (typically, the lone exception being the BME which is super light).

At elevation my experience with 22# planes with ~1750 in^2 wing area has been very, very good. Throw a few pounds on that and the flying characteristics go downhill rapidly (been there/done that with an old 25.5# Hangar 9 Sukhoi and a DA100, just flew "heavy" compared to the 22# 80cc-powered Extra although the power was incredible).

One more thing, if you want to learn more about the Yak there is a 103 page-long thread on it in this forum, look for "Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread". There is plenty of good info and good people if you have any questions. The Yak and the Extra are similarly built and equipped, just have different shapes.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
hanko

I have a TT TOC SD Whatever you want to call it, I just say SD, its easier. Anyway as i started to say i have the 33% Extra 260, with a 3W 80 twin, what attrated me to this airplane is the absence of the counter balanced elevators. I thought it might work better for precision IMAC stuff. Well bult ARF, good hardware, Nice looking and great flyers. I also have a 4 year old 30% SD Yak with close to 500 flights on it. Had 4 different engines on it, and it just keeps going. Ive had Aero Works, QQ's, and a few others I wont mention, You cant beat the SD's. I hear the New Pilot ARF from Troy built is close to the same thing.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:50 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have the SD 33% Yak 54 and I flew the heck out of that plane. Hanging from the rafters in my garage is a nearly new 33% Extra 260.

I've flown both, and here are my thoughts: For 3D, flips, and wild flight with decent stability and absolutely no roll-out in tight elevator maneuvers, the Yak excels over the 260. For precision flight, the Extra takes the cake. I found the Extra easier to hover and torque roll, but all other 3D maneuvers were more difficult. The Yak also knife-edges much better and has a lot more rudder authority. The Extra can and will roll out of tight loops and tight elevator maneuvers.

So, since you are looking at IMAC type flying, I think the Extra is your best bet. If you were wanting to do 3D flying, well, the Yak could do rolling harrier circles around the Extra.

Since I like a mix of both, the Extra just did not cut it. Especially with that snap/roll-out tendency.

I am now flying a Wildhare Giles 202 that has absolutely no roll-out in tight maneuvers AND it presents exceptionally well during precision flight. If only I could find a home for the Extra...

-Pat
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 AM
MetallicaJunkie

I have a 33% 260 with a 3w 80. Im very happy with it. ... The spinner that mine came with shattered in flight, the back plate is crap......The hardware isnt spectacular either(usually the case with most ARFs) ,it came with ball links, they were junk, i could literally push it on the threaded rod...If you use your own hardware you wont be dissapointed
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Patto

The hardware mine came with was pretty good, so we must have had different versions. One thing about SD is that they were always making little improvements. I don't know if that tradition will continue with the new name, but we'll see.