Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

First Giant Scale 3D Gasser?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

First Giant Scale 3D Gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Andrew Lumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Giant Scale 3D Gasser?

Hey Everyone,

I am interested in buying my first giant scale 3D gasser. I'm really not sure as there are so many options out there. I would like between 50cc-100cc and would like an extra or yak or something, it needs to fly 3D well and not be really complicated to assemble. I am interested in the Hangar-9 27% extra 260 but I have been reading some other threads and some people believe that this plane is just a waste of money and is too small for a DA-50 but on the other hand some people love it. Any aircraft suggestions or comments on the 260 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: First Giant Scale 3D Gasser?

hi there Andrew, check the build threads, i can only speak about Aeroworks cause its the one that i have...and is easy to build, really great airplane and there is a build thread right now.. dont forget good electronics.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Andrew....

If I was buying my first gasser again.....I'd go with a WildHare Edge 88" or 84" (I think they still have a few of the 84" left). It will 3D wonderfully, as good as anything will and is very easy to fly. The hinge work on the elevators and ailerons and 1/2 the rudder are already done for you. Very nice quality and a very nice price too. If you need and engine to go with the plane he'll make you a package deal including the DLE55 at a very VERY nice price. It is an excellent set up and their customer service is 2nd to none. And he really is helpful with set up etc.

There are many other choices also but for a first time buyer....this would be the best choice.

Here's a link to his website.

http://www.wildharerc.com/index.html

Good luck. I think you'll love the gas planes when you get into them. They are nice.

thanks
Barry
Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Andrew;
I agree with Barry. The Wildhare fleet is simply great. I have both Suhois and love them. Wildhare has the 50cc Sukhoi on sale right now. It's an easy build and the price is unbeatable.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Andrew Lumley

The Wildarehare does look nice, your right. Another one I was just looking at was this one http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=374 does anyone have any experience with that one?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

another vote for the WH Extra, have a Ver1 and I LOVE it

good luck with your search
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Wildhare here too. I have the 100cc Extra and Edge. Both fantastic planes!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Between 50-100cc is a really wide range and effects the budget greatly. You really need to decide on your budget and then decide on what to get. Bigger flies better but also costs a lot more.

In the 50cc range look at ExtremeFlight, Aeroworks, Wildhare, and 3D Hobby Shop (slick 540)

In the 100cc range look at the H9 260, EF 110" Yak, AW Extra 300 (my personal favs.)
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check out the PAU lineup. Lots of different airframes in the 50cc class and their 100 cc Edge is one of the BEST out there!

http://performancercaircraft.com/

I see you are in Canada. This may make it easier for you. http://www.gailvin.com/

regards,

Astrohog
Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 PM
DaBear1

I have an out of the box suggestion,

Buy a used one at a local swap meet. There are always 50cc gassers for sale at a swap meets. $1000 will get you a very nice plane that has been all setup and had the bugs worked out of it. You'll have $1500-2000 into a new one before you know it.

I bought a plane last fall and spent the winter putting my gear in it, figuring out the Radio power system, Ignition power system etc. It's been fun to learn but the ramp up time would have been much faster if I had bought one from "The Guy at the field"

That being said, I also got a Wild Hare Edge 84". It's been a work-horse.

Have fun!

DaBear

Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Andrew Lumley

Ok, well I am certainly hearing a lot about the wildhare lignup, and I have never see these before at the field, I usually just see Daltons and a few Hangar 9 planes so thats why I am still really interested in the 27% 260. But I am really looking seriously at the wildhare planes now. Once more if anyone else has more suggestions that would be fantastic.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, how about a used Wild Hare? That's what I did. A local pilot and friend tried selling his with no luck for 2 years. He sold it to me for about what the servos and extensions would have cost. 80cc Giles 202, got it ready to fly except reciever. A deal too good to pass up, it would be embarassing to say what I paid.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM
JOHNS3D

you will hear comments for people that has or saw that airplanes...in my case for example almost all the big gassers 50cc, 85cc, 100cc, 150cc are Aeroworks and they does a really amazing job on the air and ground. So it depends of what do you like. Go to Aeroworks section and you will see the Extra 300 build thread with pictures and videos.

But Andrew, the airplane isa small part of the money that you will invest on the proyect, what about the electronics? engine?.etc.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Andrew, here are my recommendations in the 50cc size:

3D Hobby Shop Extra 330shp or Slick 540,
Performance Aircraft Unlimited Extra 300SP, Sukhoi, Edge, or Pitts Bulldog,
Extreme Flight Yak or Extra,
Wild Hare Edges, Extra, or Giles,
Aeroworks Extras/Edges/Yaks,
TT/TOC and the Pilot-RC planes

All are all top-notch planes. These planes are head and shoulders above nearly everything else on the market.

Hangar 9 Extra 260 looks very nice but it an older design and doesn't fly as well as the others listed above, and I fear you will be disappointed.

Another plane that may work well, and will be supported by any local hobby shop, are the Great Planes "Performance Series" planes, especially the Extra and Ultimate.

Now as f5air stated above, pay special attention to the servos and linkages. Get servos that are accurate and linkages that don't have any slop and the plane will fly far better than it would with sloppy linkages and servos that are weak or inaccurate.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

The H9 260 27% is a good flying plane - just not so much with a gas engine. I flew mine on a Saito 180. That being said all of the above mentioned planes are awesome. I have also been flying a GP Cap lately which is not a bad choice. Right now I would say Wildhare, PAU, and Aeroworks are what I would lean towards. I have flown each and each is awesome

That being said the Dalton 260 is an awesome plane also!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:24 AM
burnie1

I have a H9 27% 260 with a evo 45 gasser and it is a good flying plane but won't 3D like my smaller profiles. So it depends on your skill level, if you are a 3D expert you might be disapointed with it but otherwise it will fly good 3D with the right setup. I have been looking at the Dietrich 50cc 260 and the new EG aircraft MX-2 50cc, so for something a little different you might look at them, or go with Wild Hare, Aeroworks etc they make nice planes. Most of the newer designs are good so just pick what you like and research it a little before commiting.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Andrew Lumley

I like the look of all these planes to be honest, but my LHS will only order in from either, Hangar-9 or Great Planes, and that is why I am so interested in the H9 extra 260. airborneSGT, you mentioned that it might not fly so well on a gas engine, why is that? Because if I do get the 260 I was going to buy a DA-50 for it.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 AM
JOHNS3D

mmm its hard for you take the phone and call others suppliers? like vewvalleyrc, aeroworks, etc?. If you are spending money for a 50cc believe me is important to see all the options out there.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Andrew Lumley

ORIGINAL: f5air

mmm its hard for you take the phone and call others suppliers? like vewvalleyrc, aeroworks, etc?. If you are spending money for a 50cc believe me is important to see all the options out there.
but I think that would be quite expensive to get those models shipped to Canada
Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

If I were choose a first gas plane to learn 3D with, The plane that comes to mind is a 88" Extreme Flight Yak. It's a great overall package. Rock solid built, easy to handle, great landing gear for harrier landings, great customer service. The 3DHS AJ Slick is a good looking bird. I haven't got a chance to fly one yet to report on how they fly. The EF Extra is a sweet plane, and a 50cc Edge is coming out soon. AW makes some nice planes. I've owned and flown Wild Hares. I don't plan to own another one. The planes are ok, I just don't like the Attitude of the owner.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
thevirginian

"I've owned and flown Wild Hares. I don't plan to own another one. The planes are ok, I just don't like the Attitude of the owner. "
cjcyclesrc,
Are you referring to Tom Fawcett as the owner of Wildhare? If so, what is your gripe? I think Tom is one heck of a nice guy to deal with. Straight forward and helpful, that's my impressionand experience dealing with him and his wife.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

''I've owned and flown Wild Hares. I don't plan to own another one. The planes are ok, I just don't like the Attitude of the owner. ''
cjcyclesrc,
Are you referring to Tom Fawcett as the owner of Wildhare? If so, what is your gripe? I think Tom is one heck of a nice guy to deal with. Straight forward and helpful, that's my impressionand experience dealing with him and his wife.
Yes. Maybe I just got him at a bad time. It would be nice to do business with him since we live so close, but I don't plan to.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Andrew Lumley

ORIGINAL: f5air

but I think that would be quite expensive to get those models shipped to Canada
In that case check out the line of planes at Great Hobbies in PEI. They import a line of planes under their own brand name, GH Air. They are the same as those sold by Peakmodels and others, and are good quality.

T3Beatz did an informative review last year in this forum on the 87" Extra by that manufacturer and he liked the plane. Link here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8421937/tm.htm

They also sell the EG Aircraft line of planes, which have very good reviews so far. The only 50cc plane is the MX2: http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...EGA&srchcat=AR

and

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...GHA&srchcat=AR
Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well since you are from Canada you could look here http://www.hiflightrcshopping.com/ai...s/arf/gasoline they sell several top name planes and then you wouldnt have to deal with customs charges.

Personally I would stay away from the H9 260, its small, and an older design. I flew one a few years back with a DA 50, had more power than you knew what to do with, but that was the only good thing I can say.

The difference between a 78" and todays 84-89" planes is night and day in how well they fly.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Andrew Lumley

ok thanks, I guess I should steer away from that one then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.