Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need help: Entry level Gasser questions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need help: Entry level Gasser questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Moki210
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: Entry level Gasser questions

Hi,

I have previous experience with larger planes (ie Lanier Cap 232 and Midwest Superstinker) both powered by a Moki 2.10. As much as I loved that engine, I sold it because fuel costs were killing me, and the tremendous castor build up was a real pain.

Now Im looking to get into gas engines. I have limited space so nothing bigger than the 80 +/- size. I am intersted in doing 3D maneuvers but dont need to have the absolute best (ie EF 87 inch Yak). I value a strong built aircraft that can take a less than perect landings and has nice landing chrachteristics.

I love the look of the YAk and my Eflite Yak foamie performed awesome. So I am thinking about getting a Great Planes Yak. I know people said that there are better 3Ders, but the true 50cc size planes have fuselages around 80 inches in length, and that would be too big for my vehichle( my lanier Cap was 78 inche and that barely fit, The GP Yak is 68 so it should fit easier.

What gas engine would give me unlimited vertical/hovering ability yet not weigh too much. I here alot about the DLE 55 and its only #20 at hobby city. Also Im new to digital servos; would Hitec 5645s at 160 ounces be enough for the rudder?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Cap232tain
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need help: Entry level Gasser questions

There is nothing wrong with the G.P. Yak for 3D. You can't beat the price if you get all the discounts available. You should be able to have that at your door for $324.99. Good set of digital servo's, replace the GP linkages with ball links a few other mods and it's all up to the builder from there! 160 oz. servo's are fine for the rudder. You'll have a rocket with the DLE 55 they are nice engines. Have a few at my club and everyone is happy with them. There is a GP Yak at my club powered by a Fuji 43cc, it has plenty of power. Yes there are other planes that might be better 3D'ers, for your first gas ARF you'll do fine with that plane.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I suggest the new Wild Hare Extra 260 73"?

I just finished this one, it has a DLE-30 and is 1 ounce under 10 lbs. I will have a package (about 1 month out) with everything you need (engine, good digital servos, prop, spinner, complete hardware, A123 battery and switches) for $895. The length is about 67" so it ought to fit almost any vehicle.

We have an Edge 540 version as well, same price.

TF

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30399.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1291618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22857.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1291619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68642.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1291620  
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I really like that scheme Tom! If it flies like it's big brother I might just have to order one.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Cap232tain

Considering one myself.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Uncas

Moki210,
First, consider wing loading. Do the math and compare before you buy.
You are trying to go cheap, like me, but.... My GP Yak is very heavily wing loaded with a DA-50 (upgraded from a cheaper engine). It flies IMAC type sport flying very well, I can hover it, but it is not a good 3D plane. It really does look nice and I have received many compliments. (How's that? Good and Bad) A much better choice would be the GP Ultimate Bipe. I wrecked mine this summer and plan on getting another. So far, it is the best plane I have owned. The difference between the two planes is that the Ultimate loves to harrier and fly slow, the YAK does not. The YAK can easily fly straight clean lines and patterns, the Ultimate struggles. Although I have never flown it, the GP Reactor 1.60 has HUGE wing area and should 3D quite well. These 2 planes might be the best buy on the 3D, 50cc market. The next one up in price might be the Wild Hare 88 inch Edge. Another option you might consider would be a DLE-30 and a Cermark 70 inch aerobat. They have a YAK for under $300. Low cost and good wing loading. The low cost is a plus as I have noticed and personally experienced that a lot of 3D flying tends to be destructive, occasionally even by the best of the best.

But if you are sold on the GP YAK, enjoy this [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4JwMO8DG4&feature=fvw]Video[/link]

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Moki210
My Feedback: (37)

I like the Great Planes Ultimate. How does it fit in a car compared to the typical 2 peice 80 inch aerobats, usch as the GP Yak? Although my Superstinker was powered by a large engine and thick fuselage, the wings and body were short and easily fit into my vehicle. Around 60 inch length. The Ultimate is a foot longer according to the specs.
What does everybody drive/how do they fit into your vehicle?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

I can fit an EF Extra fuse into my Toyota Solara by removing the stabs and gear. I simply put the passenger seat down and it fits in through the passenger door. It rests on its side with the rudder above the rear deck and the spinner to the glovebox. All other gear in the truck. That fuse is 88" from the spinner to the rear of the rudder. Not many 50cc planes longer.

John
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Uncas

I have a 1999 Plymouth Voyager mini-van (not extended) and do not have a problem with the YAK or the Ultimate. We measured last week and I could squeeze a 40% Carden Edge in it, if I ran the tail all the way to the center dash between the seats. I think the Edge is worth more than my car.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rctom

May I suggest the new Wild Hare Extra 260 73"?

I just finished this one, it has a DLE-30 and is 1 ounce under 10 lbs. I will have a package (about 1 month out) with everything you need (engine, good digital servos, prop, spinner, complete hardware, A123 battery and switches) for $895. The length is about 67" so it ought to fit almost any vehicle.

We have an Edge 540 version as well, same price.

TF

Tom can you email me the specs of the combo....what servos, batteries, i dont have A123 charger so dont know if you can swap for li-ion packs...im interested to get a complete 30cc combo.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.flyinggiants.com/swapshop...ct=14577&cat=2