Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ace 1/3 scale Weeks Special help needed

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ace 1/3 scale Weeks Special help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:31 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ace 1/3 scale Weeks Special help needed

Dale

Sounds good to me just heep making those sowt landings

My bro just finished there trip in there moter home 33 months stayed in all most every federal park and the rest in state parks lots of hiking fishing and pic's and they were in every state i

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 PM
gravityking
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I see this post is still open so I thought this would be a good place to find my answer.

Just picked up this Ace model and want to do the scale color sheme. I've found a few upper shots of the original. Have not found any of the bottom. Any thoughts where I might find it?

Also thanks for the posts. I've read most of it and will be using your knowledges on my build.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 PM
GreaTOne_65

Hi gravityking! Glad to hear you have a Weeks! I think, next to the Pitts lil Stinker, it is one classiest, pretty paint jobs ever. If you have seen the pictures I have posted, I think the it is one pretty bird. I haven't done anything to the bottom, but to answer your question, the original had wide black stripes under the wings and tail. When you get it finished, how about posting the pictures, I never get tired of seeing pretty Week's?

Dale
Old 08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
gravityking

Yea, I love the old kits. Just been waiting for a bipe to jump up hit me. Done the smaller Ultimate but wanted something to make a statement in the sky and this baby will do it. Gotta finish an Orline .60 V tail Bonanza on the table but this one is next. Now it's research, research, research. Found these pics of the bottom but no skin on the wings. It's a big start!

Pics definitely to follow.

Thanks for the paint scheme info.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41398.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1790805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24520.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	1790806  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
gravityking

Pic of most of the bottom got posted here: www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Hans K

I also have a 1/3 scale Weeks special. My Ace RC plans say however that the incidence of both wings are supposed to be 0 degrees. I have a strange phenomena that I can not explain, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the wing incidence.
When I do a half roll, I need to put a little pressure down on the elevator to fly upside down level. That is as I expected. If I try to do the same from a half loop, the plane wants to go strait up sharply. Even if I do not give any down elevator. I have to give a little up elevator for a second, and then slowly go to a little down elevator to try to keep the plane going level. I changed the trust angle and now have a slight upthrust. The problem is less, but not gone. Any help please.
This is the first time I participate in any RC universe forum. Next time I'll post some pictures.

Name:	Vt58796.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1821863  
Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I've had planes do that when they are slightly tail heavy.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
GreaTOne_65

Hans, When I built my first Weeks, it was unclear in the plans what the incidence on the wings should be, so I called Miles Reed, and asked him. He told me the bottom wing and horizontal stab, was to be 0, and the top wing, should be +1-11/2 degree, negative.

Just what I was told by the Master.

Dale
Old 11-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Hans K

Let me see if I can post my video. : http://youtu.be/DiUA0pjAVzs
I never had a big plane nor do I know how to fly aerobatics. I got this from someone who had it laying in his garage for 7 years. He build most of the wings. I put the ailerons in and build the fuselage. It flies amazingly nice, except for my earlier mentioned oddity. My landings are still a bit bouncy. But I start being less nervous flying this big beast. The batteries are a pain in the neck, but I never had a fuel motor on any plane, so for me this is the way to go. Plenty power.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Hans K

GreaTOne_65  Do you mean that the incidence should be between positive 1 and negative1 1/2 degrees. Or do you mean that it should be between negative1 and negative 1 ½ degrees.
Can you describe how the plane would fly differend if the top wing goes more negative or more positive.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Hans K

Wonder if this picture uploaded

Name:	Db85557.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1823110  
Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM
gravityking

Nice flight Hans! I'm jealous.

GreatOne, I too would like to hear more about the incidence correction before I build.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM
GreaTOne_65

Gravityking, the incidence should be -1 to 1 1/2 on the top wing. Everything else is 0. The reason for the negative in the top wing, as explained to me, by Miles Reed, was with negative incidence, the top wing will stall after the bottom wing. I hope this answers your question?

Dale
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
WacoCabinaero

ORIGINAL: GreaTOne_65

Gravityking, the incidence should be -1 to 1 1/2 on the top wing. Everything else is 0. The reason for the negative in the top wing, as explained to me, by Miles Reed, was with negative incidence, the top wing will stall after the bottom wing. I hope this answers your question?

Dale
Thank you for sharing this info. The Weeks Special with both upper and lower wings swept unlike a Pitts Special, according to some flyers allows it to be more maneuverable that an equally powered S1-S Pitts Special of comparable weight. This of course was Kermit's position on the Weeks Special design. Other than being a biplane intended to fulfill the same purpose, the Weeks and Pitts are different aircraft designs.

For the purpose of decalage in it's first meaning though, this amount of decalage works well on 33% Pitts models as well.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 PM
COBRA039
My Feedback: (1)

Hi so did anyone have plans as I need a set of Fuselage plans as my kit had two sets of wing plans. Cheers Garry.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACE-R-C-WEEK...item19e6b79984
Old 12-29-2013, 01:49 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Cobrao35

Hi you request for fuse plans was fwd to me as I have built 2 of these birds my plans are so faded from hanging in my shop that they will not copy, so I cant be any help.

Guys When I built my first Weeks for the maiden firts several flights I had real problems with landings do to the incidince all being 0, so went to the libary to find some ansure's about biplanes and as discribed above to get the landing's rite, changed the upper wing to 11/2 degs negitive incidince and never had another problem in 20 years of flying that bird. lost it becouse I did not follow my own preflight set up and the wire holding the upper wing vib'ed out. it had a G-38 for power/

Name:	old-weeks1.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1952331  

Last edited by rt3232; 12-29-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM
WacoCabinaero

Great kit or model from plans. The Weeks Special with the swept bottom wing to match the top does fly differently from a Pitts model, all else equal. It will do more maneuvers. The cowl fits several, maybe all of the ACE kit and Reed Weeks plans. This includes at least one of the Solutions. The LG is the same also. While shorter than scale it makes for better handling on the ground.

Last edited by WacoCabinaero; 01-11-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: repetition
Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM
heggen

It's great reading the info on the Weeks Special. Today I picked up one for a very reasonable price. I basically paid for the hardware on the airplane and got the airplane for free. It is a bit haggard but all can be remedied by some work and patience. I could install an engine and radio and go fly as is but I want to check things out thoroughly before I do that. A G62 will be the power. I am questioning whether I need to go to 4 wing servos as I will have high power, metal gear servos to control the ailerons. The pushrods to the top wing are 4-40 rods encased in streamlined aluminum tube. Servo pushrods are also 4-40. I found no slop between the upper and lower aileron connections. I would like to hear what others have experienced with this set up. I will also be checking out the thrust angle and incidence angles.
I hope to hear from those with experience with the airplane.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 PM
heggen

I am happy to report that the bargain basement Weeks Special has had its taxi tests in the back yard and its maiden - and all is well. Power is a newly rebuilt G62 with a Zoar 20-10. Weight is 20 pounds. On the maiden, it trimmed out with a couple of beeps of down trim and 3 or 4 beeps of right trim. After a few passes to feel it out, I was into loops, rolls, knife edge, vertical rolls, inverted flight, slow flight, etc. After about 6 minutes in the air the engine sound changed so I knew something was not right and headed for an approach. On approach the idle was fast and a wheel landing was attempted. It did a light bounce so I applied a bit of throttle and the engine died. It continued on straight ahead into the grass for a nicely flared landing. A lose carb was the problem. Loading the Weeks into the back of the Jeep to go home, I rolled it forward, pushing the wheels over the crack created by the folded down rear seat when I heard a cracking sound. The landing gear plate had broken lose. In the shop, I observed that the landing gear plate attachment was woefully inadequate. Upgrade is in process.
Based on the first flight, I can't wait to fly this bird again.
I am open to comments of any changes which have made the Weeks an even better aircraft.