Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Great Planes PattyW Extra or WM Extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Great Planes PattyW Extra or WM Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 03:54 AM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes PattyW Extra or WM Extra 300

Is there someone out there that's seen both the World Models Extra 300S 1/4 size plane and the Great Planes Patty Wagstaff Extra 300. Which is the better model. They both have the same covering scheme but the World models Extra doesn't name theres the Patty Extra. I going to mount a DA50 Gas engine in it.
The WM is a few inches longer on the wingspan. I do like the way World models ARF's come with the hinges already installed, are they pre installed on the great planes model.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The hinges are not pre-installed on the GP model. AS far as the difference, I don't know. I have a PG Extra ind it flies great.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Basil Yousif

Here's the World Models distributors website information on the WM Extra in the red scheme it looks like the Great Planes Patty Extra. The URL for the plane is
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/extra300S.html
Old 07-15-2003, 10:36 PM
retracts

Default GP VS. World Models 300

I had the World Models 300
Brisson 3.2 and the performance was great!
On the third flight the canopy brackets that hold the canopy on let go, not enough glue.... $28.00 for a new one
5th flight one of the ailerons pads became loose... Lucky on that one
7th flight elevator servo came out... again not enough glue...
Pure evidence that I should have inspected things a little closer...

Thought the hardware should be replaced (go with Rocket City)
and did that...
The tail feathers were somewhat of a pain to get set right,,, Did not go with remove able stabs,,

Customer service
Great Told me to send the remains and I did ..... One week later there was a new one sitting on my door step...
Also have a Great Planes with a DA50 on the way....
Hope I have better luck... I will spend a little more time going over it...
Jim
Old 07-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Geistware

You said that you "HAD" a WM Extra. What happened to it?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:45 AM
ryansdad40

Default wm extra

ive had a wm extra,, the purple one,, the hinges are not preinstalled!! they come like all arf;s ca hinges just in loose,, i used the metal hinges they provided and opoxy them in,,
i really did not like the performance of this plane,, had some real bad habbits i couldnt get rid of,, i am puting a gp pw 300 together now,, so ill see if i like that
Old 07-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen both up close and flown the WM and find the WM to be the better of the two in terms of quality and flight characteristics. I've seen the GP flown and it looked a little heavier in the air, though of course it could have to do with setup. The one that I flew has a ZDZ50 in it, some upgraded hardware, and coreless servos (4131 and 4721 I think). Both planes are nice, plus you have three different covering choices with the WM Extra. The WM has bigger elevators and is quite 3D capable.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Basil Yousif

How good did the Great Planes Patty Extra look as compared with the WM Extra 300. I have heard the WM is a bad copy of the patty Extra both in the covering job and the body contgours. Also one dealer said the WM may not be able to take a Dessert Aircraft 50R.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Stargazer

Geistware - I'm just guessing but I'll bet that when retracts said "on flight #7 the elevator servo came out" it probably caused the demise of the airplane.....
Old 07-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Geistware

If you loose one elevator, you should still be able to fly the plane just add aileron to all elevator controls.

Originally posted by ASAT
Geistware - I'm just guessing but I'll bet that when retracts said "on flight #7 the elevator servo came out" it probably caused the demise of the airplane.....
Old 07-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Basil Yousif
How good did the Great Planes Patty Extra look as compared with the WM Extra 300. I have heard the WM is a bad copy of the patty Extra both in the covering job and the body contgours. Also one dealer said the WM may not be able to take a Dessert Aircraft 50R.
What's funny about what you heard is the WM Extra came out well before the GP Extra. Look at both and decide for yourself. I prefer the WM's looks, but that's me.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:38 AM
RangerVorian

I love my World Models Extra 300! It's a fantastic plane the flies great and looks impressive. It's my first gasser (Zenoah G45) and also my first 'BIG' plane. It flies like it's on rails.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94501_21322.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	53959  
Old 07-17-2003, 10:54 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Basil, I seen them both side by side. The GP version is sleeker looking with a lower, more forward positioned tinted canopy. The WM Extra looks more like other Extras that I've seen. The Blue trim stripe is black on the WM Extra and I'm told that's incorrect. Not having seen the full scale Wagstaff, I can't say which is more accurate scale-wise. However, my personal preference leans toward the GP, but not by much.

Good Luck, it's a tough choice but I don't think you can go wrong here. They both fly well.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Pilot-Mike
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Great Planes PattyW Extra or WM Extra 300

I just purchased a wm 300s. What size engine would be best for this plane. I have a few planes with os 160's. I dont think they are powerful enough for this plane. As this is my first gasser, I am not quite sure what cc rating would be a good match for this plane. any ideas????
Old 09-27-2003, 03:00 AM
Mattyb

Both of my Wm extras have had da50. First flight of second model tomorrow. if you do a search you will find a lot of people have put da50 in this model. very easy to build but dont skimp on hardware.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22573.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	63989  
Old 09-27-2003, 07:50 AM
Geistware

Are they both configured the same?

ORIGINAL: Mattyb

Both of my Wm extras have had da50. First flight of second model tomorrow. if you do a search you will find a lot of people have put da50 in this model. very easy to build but dont skimp on hardware.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:02 AM
Mattyb

geistware,
I have diff hardware (control horns) etc. the motor and radio gear is all in the same position though and has balanced exactly 6.5 inches back from leading edge. Actually I am using 2 redundant receiver batteries this time. other than that all the same.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Basil Yousif

I ended up getting the Great Planes Patty Extra instead. The pro's at the IMAC contest didn't like the WM and had said the GP was the better of the two. I haven't built it yet but it looks like an excellent airplane. I picked up the DA50 for mine and that was another suggestion by the IMAC pros that the DA's were the best.
The DA engines were impressive at the IMAC event. Three Extra's powered with DA150's hovered side by side then shot straight up in the air like rockets, around 100 feet up
- in formation. Great engines and smooth.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:30 PM
macbeth
My Feedback: (1)

I've built and flown both. My experience:

The engine box on the WM is better built for gas engines-it is stronger and more rugged.

The wing structure for the GP is better built than the WM.

Canopy on the GP is much better.

WM landing gear is much stronger.

I compared the wings and found an interesting difference. Both wings are the same size. The wing chord is identical at the fuselage. The WM wing is about 1/4" thinner than the GP at the thickest point (about 1/3 chord). It also has a sharper leading edge.

Both fly about the same. The GP will fly slower in the pattern (probably due to the wing).

I think both are great, and wouldn't hesitate to buy either one

Old 09-27-2003, 08:49 PM
TooLy

hi

check these : (it's the WM extra)

http://www.kokamrc.co.kr/avi/rolandp.../Extra-300.wmv

http://www.ywengine.com/mpeg/mr-han1.avi

http://www.ywengine.com/mpeg/yw48b2-extra300s.MPG

http://www.ywengine.com/gallery12.htm

http://www.ywengine.com/gallery11.htm
Old 09-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Basil Yousif

If the wing structure is better on the GP that would lend itself to a being better for Gas engines also because of the ability of the plane to resist the extra shaking of a gas engine. The firewall on the GP can allways be reinforced with extra blocks and epoxy.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:51 PM
chucksmith

I've never seen a WM anything at our field (175 memebers), but I have built two GP PW Extra 300s with a ZDZ 50. The first one came out just shy of 17 lb. It experienced a mid-air so I put the second one on a serious diet - LiPoly batteries, carbon fibre everything, pull-pull rudder, no wheel pants, and saved almost 12 oz. It makes a difference. Since the DA-50 is quite light, you would benefit from a pull-pull rudder by not having to put any lead in the nose to balance out the servos in the tail. The GP Extra flys great but you have to land with a bit of power to avoid bouncing down the runway.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Basil Yousif

Is there a complete pull plull rudder setup I can buy for the GP Extra. In this rudder setup does the servo mount close to the tail of the plane so it adds weight to the back. How do you get a servo back there without chopping up the plane or is it big enough to get you servo mounted in there without cutting up the plane.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:35 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump

I'm assembling this plane now. I did glue the elevators on with 30min epoxy. I'm using DuBro #866 HD control horns.

I'm having a problem with the rudder pull-pull. The hard point for the rudder is exactly in the right spot to interfere with the elevator control horns. My elevator horns are 3/4" inboard from the edge of the surface. They are set back approx. 1" and 5/32"--thats the standard offset with the DuBro 866 horns.

If I install the pull-pull horn for the rudder in the hardpoint----it's gonna hit the elevator horns at full deflection.

I'm planning a 50cc gasser. I plan to tie the engine box to the landing gear block. LG looks weak---maybe because I'm so used to flopping them in hard??[X(]. I plan to glass the firewall to accomadate the engine forces. I replaced the stock FW with a piece of aircraft plywood 3/8" thick. The stock FW looked soft.

Anyone having a problem with the rudder control horn interfering with the elevators/horns?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Billa2.5D

Hi,

I just got my self the WM 80" Extra and intend to put a Moki 1.8 on it. Might go with the 2.1 if I can get it. My concern lies with knife edge performance. Does it require any mixing with rudder application ? I have flown a few Extras and I had to lower the stab on my last one ( 72" 330 L) from the scale position by about an 1" otherwise there was too much pitch to the belly and you can not mix it out at all speeds and attiutudes. It seems like the stab is in the scale position here too. I am thinking of modifying this right off before gluing the fin. But I would like to be sure before I cut wood.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.