Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Struts or No Struts on a Robinhood 99

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Struts or No Struts on a Robinhood 99

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 04:27 PM
shawnkappner
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts or No Struts on a Robinhood 99

I have this kit in the bones right now. I don't want to put struts on it. I just don't like to fool with them and it is one more thing to break. Some other big planes have functional struts (1/3 scale cubs) and others don't (The Super Flyin' King with an 11 foot wing span). I don't plan on 3-D flying with this plane. So any thoughts would help.

Shawn
Old 07-16-2003, 05:34 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

As I recall, the Robinhood has balsa spars, and it doesn't have a sheeted leading edge to form a D-tube. If that's the case, the struts provide support and keep the wing from twisting. I'd say put them on.

The Robinhood's a good plane. It's going to be real tempting to fly it aggressively, even with a small engine up front.

Roger
Old 07-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with Roger ! Use the Struts or you will be confined to just putting around the patch ! I'm flying the 80 inch version and decided to add the struts after hearing my wings creaking at the bottom of a loop ! My smaller version weighs in at 14 lbs. yours will be at least 16-18 lbs ! At least now I can perform large loops and barrel rolls with some feeling of security. I wouldn't dare attempt much more. Add the struts Shawn, You can always remove them....... Better safe, etc.

The Robin is a pure joy to fly !
Ugo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94358_2306.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	54133  
Old 07-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Cvans

Default RE: Struts or No Struts on a Robinhood 99

Hi Ugo:
I'm in the finishing stages of my Robinhood 80 and need to know what the control throws should be. I built mine from scratch and shortend the nose 2" as I am mounting a homelite on mine. Hardwood spars and reinforced cabin walls. Any info you could provide about contol throws would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Old 07-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Roby

Funny. I just last night I pulled out my Robinhood 99 out of the mothball stage.
Mine has a 2 piece wing so the struts are very functional. I totally agree with
Roger and Ugo . Put them in, that plane built according to the plans is not a light weight.
Better safe than sorry.

Regards
Roby
Old 07-14-2004, 07:15 AM
shawnkappner
My Feedback: (40)

Any ideas on building struts for this monster?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:19 AM
Roby

I'll take it that you haven't had a plane before with functioning struts.

There are many ways to do this, but trying to describe a method clearly so
that it could be understood may be more difficult.

One simple method maybe to seek out others in your club that have done
functional struts before and simply copy in a similar fashion what they have done.
Sometimes just a glance at what someone else did is all it will take to get you
on the rite track.

Regards
Roby
Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Geeze, Chris, I'm sorry for the time lapse on this reply !! Over a year now ! I hadn't had a email notification. Sorry. Anyway, better late than never... The throws on my Robin are: Elevator and Rudder are both 1 inch up/down & right/left. Ailerons are 3/8" up/down. I fly with aileron /rudder mix for coordinated turns.
This info is probably useless by now...You've probably flown it by now ![]
Ugo

ORIGINAL: Cvan

Hi Ugo:
I'm in the finishing stages of my Robinhood 80 and need to know what the control throws should be. I built mine from scratch and shortend the nose 2" as I am mounting a homelite on mine. Hardwood spars and reinforced cabin walls. Any info you could provide about contol throws would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Old 11-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Cvans

Hi Ugo! No I haven't flown it yet. It is still hanging from the shop ceiling waiting for your reply.Just Kidding!!!!I am hoping to fly it this spring. We have a hard time keeping a good flying site so I decided to put floats on it. I have recently noticed that our many lakes don't need mowing and they are public property. I do appreciate your reply. We are basically surrounded by water so why not. My son doesn't think I'm ever going to finish this plane so I've made up my mind I'm going to prove him wrong. I will let you know how it turns out and maybe even post a picture of it when it is done. Something I have never tried before.
Take care,
Chris
Old 10-31-2023, 10:01 AM
Cvans

Well it's 20 years later Ugo andif your still around I finally flew the plane. It flew fine but it's hard to land. You'd think it was part kangaroo the way it bounced down the runway. I had another very experienced flyer try it and he didn't have any better luck. The only success I have is with a 3 point stall just above the ground. Kind of like landing the full scale Maul.
More practice next spring I guess.