Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

35% pull pull

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM
custards1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% pull pull

im setting up my first 35% being a sukhoi. now i dont like the pull pull stuff that came with the kit can someone please recommend a nice easy setup. would something like the dubro 90+ be any good or is there better. i will be flying mostly 3d with the plane
Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
hanko

Default RE: 35% pull pull

the pull pull set up is the best way you go on that size airplane. Why does it bother you, its simple, and reliable. Its the way big planes are set up
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
hanko

I should also add its more efficient to pull than push
Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: custards1

im setting up my first 35% being a sukhoi. now i dont like the pull pull stuff that came with the kit can someone please recommend a nice easy setup. would something like the dubro 90+ be any good or is there better. i will be flying mostly 3d with the plane
Is it that you just don't like the particular hardware that came with your plane or don't like the pull pull setup altogether?

I would not even consider using anything but a pull pull on any 3D plane that size. It is without a doubt the most simple and reliable way to operate a rudder. The geometry is simple and it is a very effecient way to get high strength pull on the rudder.

If you just don't like the hardware, here is what I use. I take a standard 4-40 allen head cap screw, and drill a hole through the length of the bolt on my lathe. then I thread the desired cable through it, I use nylon coated steel leader material for fishing. Tie a real tight knot in it and CA the knot. I then thread the 4-40 bolt into a dubro ball link assembly do that on each end and I have a cable that is better than alot of the stuff you can buy at the hobby shop. I have made pull pull cables like this with up to 80 pound test, and they have always load tested at the rating of the steel leader material or above.

with the 80 pound test you definetly have to tie a tight knot to get into the dubro ball link.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 AM
custards1

HunkaJunk you are right i just dont trust the junk that came in the kit. and was after some alternatives to that. being a better pull pull setup. i would much rather some ball links and a nice fitting to the wire than the clevis system that came with it
Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 AM
hanko

whos ARF is this? I dont know of any good ARF supplier that uses clevises instead of ball links.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

How 'bout this for a primer on pull pull if that's what you're looking for?

http://www.swbmfg.com/rudex.html

As to which specific hardware one might use, that's a personal preference to some extent. Do some looking around at what hardware is available and my advice is; don't go cheap.....
Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
custards1

hanko i never said it was a good quality arf hence the need to replace junk hardware

Im just not that sure with this size plane. can you guys point to website or such that has the stuff for sale and then i can make my or mind up on what i want to use
Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

For rudder hardware, a lot of us use the Dubro stuff you can find at Tower Hobbies.
For strong cable, I like the Kevlar thread that Troy Built Models carry. It cheap and easier to work with than steel cable.