Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
Pilot RC Steinbach 342 because its better built
29.17%
PAU Sukhoi because its better built
33.33%
Pilot RC Steinbach 342 because it sexy!
25.00%
PAU Sukhoi because its tougher looking!
4.17%
Other, please explain why its better below.
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

PAU vs Pilot RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAU vs Pilot RC

I have a DA-50 that recently became orphaned. I have been looking for a good home for it and have a couple of candidates.

I have been looking at the PAU Sukhoi (gotta love that big radial plane) and the Pilot RC Steinbach 342 (oooh it just looks so good). I have seen two of the Pilot RC planes in person in my area, but have never seen a PAU in person, so I am wondering about any differences in quality (if any) between the two manufacturers.

Please vote for the one you believe to be the better built aircraft. In order of importance to me is strength then weight. I will give up some weight for a much stronger airframe.

I also had someone mention E.G. aircraft, but know little about them, so feel free to comment on that option also. Actually, feel free to make suggestions about any manufacturer, just tell me why they are better and should be considered (I also considered an Aeroworks Extra 260 if that helps any).

Thanks all!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PAU vs Pilot RC

If you are considering the AW Extra it gets my vote. Good quality strong airframes that last for years. The penalty is they do weigh a bit more than others. I have a Pilot as well. Nice plane, but not up to the quality of the AW line yet. My Pilot Yak does fly very nice though and I am very happy with it. The manual for the Pilot kits is online only and is not very good, if you have built a few arfs that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

I have no knowledge of Pilot series models. However, I own two PAU models, 30% Extra DLE55 MTW75TDK Cannister, 36% Edge 3W 106b2 KS86 cans. Both models built very well. I've flown and seen the Sukhoi, and looks every bit as good as the other two I mentioned. The Sukhoi I flew was a great flyer. If pics would help your decision, let me know.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 PM
bipeguy03

Never had a pilot, but am am finishing up my PAU 37% Ultimate, that was still a BME plane. Great quality, well built plane at a fair price. And it seems all of the PAU Planes are just the same only better once Herve re-designs them.

And anotherthing for me is customer service, Herve Lejune is great and will go way out of the way to help anyone out,

so my vote is PAU
Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Both are great planes. Both will service you well, it really just depends what you like. I have received great service from PAU and wouldn't hesitate to buy one another of their planes, great hardware and construction. Ultimately it just depends on whether you want the radial look or something like the Sbach...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66267.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1462507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36679.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1462508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42625.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1462509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28402.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1462510  
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: maineflyer

Both are great planes. Both will service you well, it really just depends what you like. I have received great service from PAU and wouldn't hesitate to buy one another of their planes, great hardware and construction. Ultimately it just depends on whether you want the radial look or something like the Sbach...

I was afraid of that! [:@] I was hoping someone would come on here and say one of them had a horrible deificiency I hadn't heard about and my mind would be made up.

It may come down to flipping a coin since a really like the appearance of both. [X(]
Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The SBach is an awesome plane and it really stands out at the flying field because it's not a Yak or Extra. It also flys as good as it looks.