Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

LiFePo4 on my 30% Questiosn

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

LiFePo4 on my 30% Questiosn

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Fidy$Trainer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiFePo4 on my 30% Questiosn

Guys,
I'm currently running two 2300 6v NiMa packs on my 30% Yak. I was told the best way was togo A123's Is the LiFeP04 batteries the same thing? I a deal too good to be true and wanted to ask your oppinons on wether this would be a suitable battery for my YAK. I also wanted to confirm a couple of things. One if I use a 2S LiFeP04 battery at 7.1V no need to put in some sort of regulator correct? Two does the C rating mean anything if all I'm doing is controlling the servo's? 3) Tell me if this battery is worth trying out. I would swap out my two 2300 NiMa 6v for one 4500mAh. I know I know I don't have any redundancy built in but I've had nothing but problems getting my spectrum gear to work properly charging my 2300 pacs through a switch and y adapter probabbly not the best way to do it but tired of worrying about it. Anyway the link is below. Would this be a suitable battery?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_LiFePo4_Pack
Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: LiFePo4 on my 30% Questiosn

A123 is a brand name of LiFePO4. Probably the best brand of this technology. Genuine A123 can charge and discharge very rapidly. For receiver / servo use you normally do not use any regulator. A two-cell pack puts out 6.6 Volts. I run two independant packs - each pack is 2300mAh - on my 40% plane (10 servos). I don't have an opinion about the pack you reference in your post. I'll leave that to others.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fidy$Trainer

Guys,
I'm currently running two 2300 6v NiMa packs on my 30% Yak. I was told the best way was togo A123's Is the LiFeP04 batteries the same thing? I a deal too good to be true and wanted to ask your oppinons on wether this would be a suitable battery for my YAK. I also wanted to confirm a couple of things. One if I use a 2S LiFeP04 battery at 7.1V no need to put in some sort of regulator correct? Two does the C rating mean anything if all I'm doing is controlling the servo's? 3) Tell me if this battery is worth trying out. I would swap out my two 2300 NiMa 6v for one 4500mAh. I know I know I don't have any redundancy built in but I've had nothing but problems getting my spectrum gear to work properly charging my 2300 pacs through a switch and y adapter probabbly not the best way to do it but tired of worrying about it. Anyway the link is below. Would this be a suitable battery?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_LiFePo4_Pack
LiFEP04 is NOT a brand name of A123 and it is not the same. A123 is Lithium-nano-phosphate, Life-P04 is Lithium-Iron-phosphate (the FE is iron). They are similar but not identical, A123 has about 33% higher current delivery ability while LiFeP04 has a higher density, which means LiFeP04 will hold a little more than A123 (for the same weight) but you can't get it out quite as fast. For most receiver applications either one will do nicely. A123 can also be charged a little faster. They have the same voltage range and use the same charging protocol.

No regulator is needed on either one for all receiver/servo applications and for most ignitions. Either chemistry will operate your receiver and servos very well.

The battery you are indicating is cheap but is as heavy as 2 2300 A123 packs, you can get redundancy with no increase in weight. My experience has been that a single cheap battery is false economy.

TF

Old 08-07-2010, 08:13 PM
hanko

good answer rectom.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang good answer Tom.

I run two genuine A123 2300 packs on my 50cc Extra through two switches for added redundency. I switched over to the A123's recently but the plane has been flying with NiMH's in place of the A123's for almost 4 yrs. It's been on the A123's for about 4 months and the great thing about them is I can charge them in 10 mins or less depending on how discharged they are. Most charges take 5 mins or less. They can provide 60+ amps of discharge current and that's more than adequate for a 30% or 50cc bird.

I would recommend going with the Genuine A123 cells as they are proven technology. It's the cell used in the high grade DeWalt Lithium batteries. Very good stuff.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I wouldn't run anything other than A123's. I get mine from Tom and I know he's done A LOT of research and testing. He knows what he's talking about.
The worst thing to skimp on in any plane is the battery. The battery controls everything in the plane. Battery failure results in no more plane.