RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   composite arf yak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1712546-composite-arf-yak.html)

Shortman 05-10-2004 11:49 PM

RE: composite arf yak?

Looks nice Vic. Keep at it:D

Vicster 05-11-2004 07:32 AM

Hey PlaneCrazy- I am not going to use the powerbox ( I will when I get the BIG Yak, 3.3 )
With only 10 servos, I don't think it will be nessary. The ailerons will have match boxes as will the rudder servos. I will also install the Duralite "double" pack, (which is 100% backed up) for the reciever. We are using this in a couple of 33% airplanes, and it is flawless!
Hey, it's time to BUILD some more on this bad boy!
Vic

Vicster 05-11-2004 07:37 AM

Hi Paul- I'll send you some pics of the vents and what has to be done. Like I said, there are ALOT of vents to cut. I would think with a kit of this calibur it would have already been finished. The BIG Yak has this step already complete. Oh well,..... time for the Dremel.
Vic

schroedm 05-11-2004 07:55 AM

Vic,

Any chance of posting what you send to Paul on here as well??

That way, those of us who have them on the way can use this thread as a guide etc when building theirs.

Rgds,
Mark

PS Like the colour coded trays by the way :)

japan3d 05-11-2004 08:13 AM

just want to follow the progess

mu2driver 05-11-2004 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This iswhat Vic is talking about, the vents are some sort of molded plastic, and need to be trimed out, not only the shape of the vent but all the louvers need to be cut as well. It looks like it could take someone quite a few hrs.

Oh by the way here is a OMP Vic totaly customized and is now called the M.O.A.P. or mother of all profiles

Keep up the good work Vic!

schroedm 05-11-2004 09:58 AM

Sheesh, looks like that step is gonna be more of a pain in the ***** than fitting that canopy/hatch!

schroedm 05-11-2004 04:40 PM

Guys,

Am collecting all the bits for my Yak and wondered what size spinner they recommend/you are using?

Can anyone know/find out?

Thanks,
Mark

mu2driver 05-11-2004 05:05 PM

Hey Mark it calls for a Tru-Turn 5" to a 5 3/4"

Also for everyone you can view the Manual Now ONLINE go to the COmposite-Arf.com web site and look at the standard blue 2.6m Yak, thier you can download it.

Vicster 05-11-2004 09:21 PM

Mark- yes, I will post the pics of the cowl vent "work-to-be-done" as I do them. Sorry, did'nt mean to exclude anyone.
As side note,if you go to the manual on line, check the instructions for building and mounting the cowl. You won't belive what they use to hold the split at the bottom of the cowl
together, while you fly! It's crazy!! I will definitly change that on this one. I already know what I am going to do. BUT- check it out!
Vicster

Paul Cataldo 05-11-2004 10:05 PM

Yeah Vic,
They've been doing that to hold the cowls together for a while now. I'm not much for it either. Would like to come up with a better way, and I'm interested in what you have in mind....???

schroedm 05-12-2004 04:34 AM

Here's my $000's of composite leading edge 3D/IMAC model and yep, that's a...erm...ahh....erm...a large paper clip holding the cowl together? [X(]

Hmm, think I might be changing that!

Paul Cataldo 05-13-2004 08:43 PM

So Vicster,
Still haven't heard about your new method of holding the cowl together:D

Also,
This is something I've been asking Composite Arf owners for a while now, but NOBODY has ever helped me out here.
What comes for pushrods on the plane? What will I get with my 2.6m Yak? Is it a useable pushrod, OR will I end up replacing with a titanium Pro-Link or similar? I have always been told they are useable, but I want to know if they are REALLY what should be used.
Is there any chance you could do me a favor and post a pic of the stock pushrods.
One last thing Vic,
KEEP US UPDATED! KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE BABY!
I can't stand getting online and not seeing another post on this thread!
Please!:D:D;)
Can't wait for the first week of June!

Paul Cataldo 05-13-2004 09:55 PM

Hey Vicster,
Could you also help with the following?
(I'm trying to get up all the accessories, so I can have everything when my 2.6m arrives)

1. I saw Darcy stated the manual calls for something like a 5 - 5 1/2" spinner? What size
do you think will be best? I was thinking of a 5".

2. What size wheels does the manual call for? When they say they use Dubro, which
model of Dubro are they referring to that I see some using?

3. Didn't I see that the plane has an aluminum wing tube? If so, what size is it, so I can
order a c/f one?

4. Can you tell me what length servo extensions are needed?

5. Finally, forgive me if you've already answered this, but are you using any exhaust other
than the stock mufflers on your DA100?

Thanks Vicster, and sorry for all the questions....
Paul Cataldo

Eruption 05-13-2004 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a 4-40 threaded rod and Dubro Quik links (see photo attached...it's the Comp Arf rod and Dubro quik links) on my CA 2.6m Extra.

The Comp Arf rod is basically a metric version of a fully threaded 4-40 rod, but a stronger steel material.

I ended up using a fully threaded 4-40 rod and CA'd a carbon rod over the threaded rod to give it more strength. I plan on doing the same with my Yak, which arrived yesterday :)))

Of course, you can't go wrong with titanium either, but it costs a lot more.

Also, the cowl setup the Comp-ARF uses is fine. It's identical to the setup on my 3.3m Yak and it has never failed me.

Kevin

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

So Vicster,
Still haven't heard about your new method of holding the cowl together:D

Also,
This is something I've been asking Composite Arf owners for a while now, but NOBODY has ever helped me out here.
What comes for pushrods on the plane? What will I get with my 2.6m Yak? Is it a useable pushrod, OR will I end up replacing with a titanium Pro-Link or similar? I have always been told they are useable, but I want to know if they are REALLY what should be used.
Is there any chance you could do me a favor and post a pic of the stock pushrods.
One last thing Vic,
KEEP US UPDATED! KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE BABY!
I can't stand getting online and not seeing another post on this thread!
Please!:D:D;)
Can't wait for the first week of June!

Vicster 05-13-2004 10:22 PM

Hey Paul- I think I will use two 4-40 cap screws and lock nuts to clamp the cowl together. They will be right where the two "paper clips" are. ( have you seen them in the picture in the manual? ) With such a large opening in the cowl, there will plenty of room to use a ball driver
and a wrench. I mocked it up and it will work great.
The push rods they send are look like standard 4-40 rods. HOWEVER they are very short coupling and I don't think they will be a weak link. I have'nt really decided what I will use.
They do include some very nice ball links that I will use. Because of the thin phonalic control horns they also include 4-40 clevises so the load is on BOTH sides of the horn instead of one side as with a ball link. They DO NOT have the clip locks, so I may change them IF idecide to use them. The ball links are for the dual rudder servo system they supply. It looks plentystrong and I will use it. One thing ia m not sure of is their method of attaching the supplied servo arms. They state to use round plastic servo arms and glue their phonalic arm onto it and then secure with small screw sets ( supplied ) I may elect to use the round aluminum wheels fro Airwild. I would hate to strip out the plastic splines on a plastic wheel!!
I will use all digital servos with metal shafts. When I get a push rod assemled I will post a picture of it.
I will use a 5 1/2 true turn spinner. I love BIG spinners. It calls for 5" wheels. I will use the Lites. I will measure the tube and let you know what Dia. it is. By the way, it is surprisenly
short for a wing tube. But when you look into the wing, you can see the spare is continued
further out. Very strong looking. I just recieved the KS tuned pipe system from DA.
MAN are these long! From the center of the header to the end of the pipe tip it is 38" long!
And that does not include the added 90 degree exit tube!! The tips will exit out the bottom of the fuse about 4-6" behind the rear of the canopy viewing from the side. I am building the
bulkhead supports now. Quite alot of thought has to go into how to do this correctly. But I think I have it worked out. It will be a "suspended" mount. I will post some pics when it is far enough along to tell whats what.
Well, all for now. I will keep the info coming. Hopefully I can save you guys some time on building yours.
Fly low and point up!
Vicster

Paul Cataldo 05-13-2004 10:36 PM

Thanks Vicster,
I also think their servo arm method is weak. If the Airwild hubs work, then that is the way to go. I heard some people say they will use regular Airwild MLP arms, pro links and a clevise, but I just don't know yet.
5" wheels? 5 1/2" spinner? Man those seem huge for this plane. I know it's big and all, but dang!
That's cool though. If they look good, then I will love the larger sizes. I just thought that both sizes you mentioned were too big, but.... COOL!
Keep the pics coming! We are all eager to hear from you man!

Paul Cataldo 05-13-2004 10:37 PM

P.S.
Hey Vic,
With all my questions, I think you forgot about the servo extensions. Any idea on what lengths will be needed yet? Thanks.:D

Eruption 05-13-2004 10:38 PM

1. I think a 4 1/2 or 5" spinner would be plenty. I have a 6" spinner on the big Yak and it looks huge, so a 5 1/2" would probably be way too big.

2. I think Sullivan Skylights are best. If using the wheel pants, you'll need 5" wheels. Be forewarned......the wheel pants sit very close to the ground and if yopu fly off grass they won't last long. Just about everyone that owns the 3.3m Yak doesn't even put the wheel pants on. If you decide to go without the pants, get 4 1/2" wheels.....they are still plenty big and save weight.

3. The tube diameter is 40mm. The only place you can get a metric tube is PBG Composites.

http://www.pbgcomposites.com/product...arbonTubes.htm

The one you need is PBG42T. It's 40mm x 1050mm. The tubes length will need to be trimmed just a few inches. The lady in the U.S. to contact for one is Maureen Dunphy email is [email protected]

The price is steep....around $100. I have one and it fits the Yak perfectly and is a LOT lighter.

4. Can't tell you now....will take measurements later....off to the Nall in the morning.

5. I'm using stock exhaust, but on a BME110 Extreme.

Good luck,

Kevin

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Hey Vicster,
Could you also help with the following?
(I'm trying to get up all the accessories, so I can have everything when my 2.6m arrives)

1. I saw Darcy stated the manual calls for something like a 5 - 5 1/2" spinner? What size
do you think will be best? I was thinking of a 5".

2. What size wheels does the manual call for? When they say they use Dubro, which
model of Dubro are they referring to that I see some using?

3. Didn't I see that the plane has an aluminum wing tube? If so, what size is it, so I can
order a c/f one?

4. Can you tell me what length servo extensions are needed?

5. Finally, forgive me if you've already answered this, but are you using any exhaust other
than the stock mufflers on your DA100?

Thanks Vicster, and sorry for all the questions....
Paul Cataldo

Vicster 05-13-2004 10:49 PM

Paul- Sorry about that, I did forget ( old age ) Anyway... IF you could mount the reciever near the back of the canopy, 36-38" extensions are needed for the elevator servos. They tell you to mount EVERYTHING in front of the wing tube! In that case they would have to be about 55"! The outer wing servo looks to need about 30". Inner should work with 24". Since you asked the question, tomarrow I will measure exact lengths and repost this answer. I just did a quick tape check. So.. till then....fly low, point straight up
Vicster

Vicster 05-14-2004 05:48 AM

Hey again- I have been trying to post some pictures of the pipe mounting and am haveing problems getting the upload to complete. I'll keep trying and fiqure it out.
Vicster

RickP 05-14-2004 07:41 AM

Darcy,
That looks awsome man, I wish I were able to go for the 3.3meter. Maybe this winter ;)
RickP

Paul Cataldo 05-15-2004 10:38 AM

Guys,
Just got back from Joe Nall. I almost bought the MTW cans for the DA100, but wasn't sure which cans would be best for this plane. Plus, I can always order them this week.
Which exhaust are you using Vicster?

Paul Cataldo 05-15-2004 02:10 PM

Here's another one guys,
I'm about to order some standoffs for my DA100 for this plane. From back plate of engine to the hub where spinner rests, is 6.5".
I know it is 7" from firewall to the cowl lip. Bottom line: I was going to order some 1" standoffs. This will give me 1/2" clearance between spinner and cowl. What do you guys think of this? Should I push the engine forward even more? Will one side be too short, considering the built in right thrust? (IF there is built in right thrust)
How about right thrust guys? Is right thrust built into the firewall? Thanks.
Vic,
Still waiting on those servo extension lengths!:D:D

Paul Cataldo 05-15-2004 06:26 PM

Guys,
Just got finished downloading the manual and I quote EXACTLY:

"If using a DA-100 and 2-bladed propeller the side thrust required for the Yak is very small at only about 1-1.5 degrees, with .5-1 degree downthrust. The firewall is accurately off-set in the moulding process, using a precision jig, so that when the motor is mounted in the exact centre of the firewall and the motor stand-offs are all of equal length you are already very close to the ideal thrust lines. Adjustments to sidethrust after the first flights, if needed, can be made by adding or removing washers between the back of the engine mount and the plywood firewall."

IF I am understanding this correctly, they are saying that the DO HAVE right thrust ALREADY built in from the factory?
Am I understanding this correctly fellas?
Vicster,
I was considering going ahead and purchasing some standoffs with maybe 1/2 or 1 whole degree of right thrust, but I'll wait for your opinion since you already have the plane to let me know for sure what you think.
Thanks Vic!
Thanks fellas!