RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2408226-extreme-flight-87%22-yak-54-build-fly.html)

747drvr 04-06-2005 07:48 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Thanks a lot for the pictures guys ! There definately is something different about mine and all the wishing isn't going to make it change . I'l just have to figure something out .

Jim,

Are you using the small brass stand off on the servo arm . It appears to me that the ball link body would interfere with the servo arm without it .

Marc

Hammbone 04-06-2005 07:57 PM

I am not using the small brass stand off on the servo arm. The instructions did not call for it and it seems to work fine without it. The linkage stays at a sraight 90 degrees to the hinge line, so it is not needed in this application.
You will use it on the ailerons as called for in the instructions.

Jim

DrFun 04-06-2005 08:28 PM

I have mine in the second shipment too,

Question:

Are there any other reasons than reducing noise to use canisters?

The 100rpm increase does not seem to be worth the cost/weight of canister unless you absalutely can't use stock due to noise.

I have to admit, canister looks cool, cowl does not need to be cut a lot, the channel is already built in, but where I fly DA50, DA100, DA 150 with stock mufflers does not create problems. So noise is no problem for me.

The video that compares the the stock vs. tuned also showed the difference at WOT for tuned, but isn't the pull from hover what we are looking for and that's where stock is better? (Thats where we buy new planes, low hover)

I am waiting for the DA50, and ordered the stock muffler, but can always change it. I have folowed the thread remember seeing the weights and rpms some where but this one is a long one, could not find it again.

coche 04-06-2005 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marc.. dont worry, just make the hole a little bit biger! you are going to need to make it longer to get full deflection anyway!

sorry for the bad pictures! ans yes! I havent clean my plane since the last flight!! [sm=tired.gif]

edgeman55 04-06-2005 08:37 PM

Been trying to get a hold of Chris for two days now.Left phone messages and E mail with no response.One of my rudder horns had what looks like a laser cut accross the hole on the end.Can't finish the plane till I get a new one.This is killing me anyone knows if he got back from Toledo yesterday.By the way my tail had both problems.I twisted the rudder post back to place and the tube also had to be lowered on the right side a 1/16".Worked out great all is square and looking good.Thanks to all for the great tips on how to fix those problems.

coche 04-06-2005 08:43 PM

the reasons for runing castiers or pipes are noice and the small RPM increase! but this plane does not need the pipe or canstier to fly very good! I do also prefer to have that hard pull from the hover!

I do think that the pipes look cool! and sound nice also! but I preferd a lighter plane over a good looking plane!

BBriBro 04-06-2005 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 747drvr

Hi Guys,

I'm using the Hitec 5945 with the supplied carbon servo arm and the the slot is too far outboard .
You could use the Airwild aluminum arms, they are very low, at the very bottom of the spline, which might help you quite a bit, since the stock setup actually spaces the linkage out pretty far by the time you attach the CF on top of the nylon wheel.

ORIGINAL: Cobra78

More pleasant exhaust note, more power.

The 100rpm increase does not seem to be worth the cost/weight of canister unless you absalutely can't use stock due to noise.
That 100 rpm you recently read about was what the MTW canister will do above and beyond the Chip Hyde quiet pipe, which is already 400 RPM more than a Pitts style muffler, so if all that is true, thats a significant increase.

The video that compares the the stock vs. tuned also showed the difference at WOT for tuned, but isn't the pull from hover what we are looking for and that's where stock is better? (Thats where we buy new planes, low hover)
Don't confuse the tuned pipe with a canister. The canister should be in between the two for power, but "should" have the low and midrange response of a standard muffler.

I have folowed the thread remember seeing the weights and rpms some where but this one is a long one, could not find it again.
Here is the page with the weights [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2408226/mpage_55/key_/tm.htm]PAGE 55[/link] and here is the page with the RPM figures [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2408226/mpage_74/key_/tm.htm]PAGE 74[/link]

DrFun 04-06-2005 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info BBriBro, tuned pipe and canister I thought they would have the same repsonse but was wrong.

From Maudib's test Chip Hyde Quiet Pipe adds about 60-80 rpm and 8oz extra weight compared to stock, but 12 oz more thrust yes I can see that it could be worth the extra money with the noise.

I will follow this MTW cans.

747drvr 04-06-2005 09:01 PM

Thanks for the help guys . I'm just going to fiddle with the slot and shim the servo towards the root a bit in order to get a straight shot at the elevator horn. I wonder why mine is different ?

I thought about the Airwild servo arm but they don't make it easy to ship to Canada . I wish I would have known before I went to Toledo . I bought some stuff from them there !

marc

iceyflyer 04-06-2005 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well guys, I don't no where to start. Today we took Scott's (mudsurfer1234) yak out to the feild hoping to fly. We have taken it out 2 other times before this and have had 2 disasters. Sunday we went out hoping for the rain to stop and we all hudled under the back door of the van for about a half hour and then we noticed it was a mix of snow and rain so we went home. Tuesday we went to the feild again hoping to fly. It was a beautiful day and we got the plane out and Scott and his dad were assemblign when I noticed the right wing wasn't screwed in, well that could have been a disaster. So they finished putting together and Scott had just reset all of his throws for the yak on the week end by accident and we weren't sure if throttle servo needed to be reversed or not. So he climed under the plane to look and gas driped out of the muffler into his eye. So he washed it out with flavored water and we continued to try get plane in the air. So his dad primed the engine and then went to start it and on the 4th or 5th flip engine went straight to full! Thank god are good buddy Carl was there holding the wing because i was taping and Scott only had one leg there to hold plane back but he was smart engough to not panick and push forward on the stick to shut off. Then we reversed servo and tried again no problem this time started on 4th flip and the idle was just a little high so he fixed it and we said well time to taxi got it out on the feild was ready to take off check servo throws and gave it just a little gas and hte abck and jumped up a little and the fell down lower than it should have been. He shut off the engine and we walked up to check it out and the tail wheel had ripped right out of the bottom of the fusealuge. We were all disapointed but we decided to pack up and try again wedsday. Wendsday we got to the feild unpacked, set up plane, no problems at all so we gased it up, filled it up, started it up, and we had no problems with it. So he taxied out did a lap around the feild to makesure tail wheel was secure and he said here we go and took off. To trim out the plane all it took 3 clicks of down elevator and 2 of left alerion. Just let me say it flys AWESHOME but it does have one of the BEST pilots I have ever seen flying it. It was rolling before he even made the first turn with it. Within 90 seconds he was doing a rolling circle then a flap spin and an anuyrism (my favorite). Second flight took off again rolling right after he is off the ground start doing BEAFUTIFUL harriers and he brings it across feild at about twenty feet an it looks really cool he put it into its first hover at about fifteen feet and I think it got down around ten feet! Not bad for second flight! Anyway i think i've wrote enough for tonight and I Just wanna say Scott GREAT flying earlier. please check out some pics

ten pillows 04-06-2005 10:50 PM

Well big congratulations go out to Scott. I know he worked very hard on his plane from his posts. Nice pictures too...

ten pillows

sarawnty 04-07-2005 06:02 AM

Hi Marc,
I had the same problem with mine. I just opened up the slot on the inside about 3/16". I'll close up the other side of the slot with covering before I'm done. Mine is coming along well.
Regards,
Steve

747drvr 04-07-2005 06:38 AM

Hi Steve,
That's exactly what I'll do . I'm now loking forward to getting my DA 50 back so I can finish it up .
Marc

Dave763 04-07-2005 07:47 AM

How many of you did the hatch latch mod? Has anyone else had a problem with the canopy coming off?

bodywerks 04-07-2005 08:52 AM

I have mine in the second shipment too,

Question:

I have to admit, canister looks cool, cowl does not need to be cut a lot, the channel is already built in, but where I fly DA50, DA100, DA 150 with stock mufflers does not create problems. So noise is no problem for me.

I am waiting for the DA50, and ordered the stock muffler, but can always change it. I have folowed the thread remember seeing the weights and rpms some where but this one is a long one, could not find it again.
Actually, the CHP produces around 200 rpm more than the stock muffler. Also, while it will be quieter, it will also sound way cooler...just sounds like serious business. It is heavier, but if you build light, otherwise, you can still get to 15.5 lbs.

bodywerks 04-07-2005 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave763

How many of you did the hatch latch mod? Has anyone else had a problem with the canopy coming off?
I have the mod. I am devising a way to still have a quick release with 3 of those latches - one top, one on each side. It will require a latch-stay type tool for one, cuz' I don't think my fingers are quite that nimble, but it should hold very well. I can't go back to stock...I shaved all but 1/8" of the tabs off...

DrScoles 04-07-2005 11:23 AM

I'm gonna try the small fuel tubing with the original set up..... I love the simplicity of the latch, but I've had to go find my canopy twice now.... had to make sure first time wasn't a fluke<g>.....

This engine SIPS fuel! I have the 16 oz tank... set timer for 13 minutes on third flight, and its still has atleast 1/3 left...

Mine is doing a few things I didn't expect.... Now mind you, I am a very average plane pilot.... but in trying to harrier, the wings are rocking like crazy.... Do you guys put any type of mix in the ailerons?? I know some people do that, I would prefer to learn the right way... And knife edge, it needs lots of elevator to keep it going straight.... I will double check lateral CG, anything else I should be considering?

Mike

erjpilot 04-07-2005 11:59 AM

Cobra78,
What club do you fly at? Lehigh Valley?

wgeffon 04-07-2005 12:37 PM

Mike,

The plane shouldnt need any spoilerons, flapperons or anything to make it 3D correctly.
My first thought is you may not have enough elevator throw to get you past the stall enough to stop the rocking.

How much are you getting?

I would also say that if you needing a bunch of elevator for KE your CG may be too far aft.
Where did you wind up?

Both Drew's and mine have zero mixing in our Yak's

DrScoles 04-07-2005 01:37 PM

Thanks Wayne, I bet the cg is too far aft....it was borderline to start.... I'll move it forward....

I'm getting TONS of elevator throw, but I may not have the proper angle of attack.... This is all new to me, and there isn't anyone at the two fields I fly at who do 3D with big planes.... I might have to visit another field that is close by to get educated..:D

thanks, Mike

Dave763 04-07-2005 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DrScoles, can you post a pic of your canopy latch, cause if it looks like mine I'll scrap the hatch and cover the small slot. I really don't want it to fly off, that would suck. Is 4 oz of fuel and the smaller tank add up to a 4oz. weight savings? I wonder if I would run into cg problems with the tuned pipe and the smaller tank.
I higher AOA seems to be the ticket to stop the rocking, although I have not flown the Yak yet.

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

I'm gonna try the small fuel tubing with the original set up..... I love the simplicity of the latch, but I've had to go find my canopy twice now.... had to make sure first time wasn't a fluke<g>.....

This engine SIPS fuel! I have the 16 oz tank... set timer for 13 minutes on third flight, and its still has atleast 1/3 left...

Mine is doing a few things I didn't expect.... Now mind you, I am a very average plane pilot.... but in trying to harrier, the wings are rocking like crazy.... Do you guys put any type of mix in the ailerons?? I know some people do that, I would prefer to learn the right way... And knife edge, it needs lots of elevator to keep it going straight.... I will double check lateral CG, anything else I should be considering?

Mike

DrFun 04-07-2005 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: erjpilot

Cobra78,
I fly at LVRCS, www.lvrcs.com

I assume you fly at quakertown.

NE0 04-07-2005 02:23 PM

Dr Scoles,

I still don't' understand how this is possible unless something else is not correct? [sm=confused.gif]

Does your canopy slide securely up under the back edge of the cowl at the front? Is the latch assembly remaining intact or is it coming apart? Is your pin sticking far enough into the canopy?

That spring is VERY strong in that latch, so I can't see how that pin could possibly back out of the canopy hole. It seems that if the latch is not coming apart, you would have to either have a pin that is too short (into the canopy) or the front end is not getting secured into the front peg holes and under the cowl. If the front comes loose, the latch pin is not going to stop the canopy from coming off.

Previous failures of this latch have been acredited to the "finger pin" backing out of the latch pin, in which case the spring shoots the whole thing apart. LocTite on the finger pin will stop this problem. But, it doesn't sound like that's what's happening with yours?

I'm really interested in what's going on, cause I have 2 planes with this feature yet unflown. All I know is that it worked awesome all last year on Maudib's DV, but it may be the difference in how the front end of the canopy is attaching to the fuse?[&:]

Tom

TailTouch 04-07-2005 02:50 PM

OK....seems like us PA boyz have to have a Yak-fest :D :D

Let's see...

1. TailTouch - Valley Forge
2. Cobra78 - LVRC
3. ejrpilot - Quakertown
4. mudsurfer - Exeter ?????

What do you think ???

Cheers.

ORIGINAL: erjpilot

Cobra78,
I fly at LVRCS, www.lvrcs.com

I assume you fly at quakertown.

Dave763 04-07-2005 02:50 PM

I'm thinking, add one more cowl mounting tab top center. This might help. The only movment I can see is in the front. The former that has the two holes in it is kinda flimsy.

747drvr 04-07-2005 03:30 PM

I'm at the point where I need to decide how to mount my canopy/hatch. I also don't see how it could be coming off . What was the aircraft attitude when the hatch came off ? I saw knife edge being mentioned . There actually is a lot of force on that relatively large hatch while knife edge and if the stock tabs have been removed the canopy could deform and shift enough to allow the hatch to come loose .

If planning to use the bolt set-up , why not just use 2 at the back ?? That should suffice .

Marc

Mike Parsons 04-07-2005 03:37 PM

I also just dont see it coming off unless the unit comes apart. I picked mine up again only using the Canopy and shook it just to be sure (it is still minus electronics). I just dont see it...
Dave,
you have more then enough latch sticking through. I say go with it as is.....

-Mike

NE0 04-07-2005 04:17 PM

Let me take another look at Maudib's Yak tonight... maybe I'll see something else he did to the canopy, cause that thing is rock solid. For some reason that "extra tab" comment is ringing a bell, but maybe I'm thinking of something else. I know he added a firewall-cowling tab, but not sure about any other tabs.

I suppose if the fuse flexed a whole lot in knife edge due to all stringer construction and little to no sidewall ply, it could pull the canopy away... but I can't imagine that thing flexes anywhere near that amount. I mean you're talking about the front of the turtle deck moving a quarter of an inch or more for the pin to come out of the hole! [X(]

Seems like it's got to be something going on with the front end of the canopy, excessive gap under the canopy edges, or something like that. You DO want to make sure that you position the hole in the back of the canopy so that the latch pin "pinches the canopy downward" onto the fuse. If the hole is too high, you have a sloppy fit to the fuse.

I'd ask Maudib if he's done anything special, but he's still in the hospital and not in any condition to discuss airplanes right now. I'll look at his Yak and DV and see if there's anything I'm missing here, but I doubt it. Something just doesn't seem right with what's happpening to Dr's hatch [:o]

Tom

747drvr 04-07-2005 04:22 PM

I wasn't referring to fuselage deformation but canopy deformation in knifed edge if the tabs are not there to prevent lateral movement.

Marc

bodywerks 04-07-2005 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Mike
Try the stuff I used. It is the 3/16" OD plastic antenna tube. The pin fits very tightly with that stuff.
Also the way you change the cg is dependant on whether you require up or down elevator in knifedge. If you need to apply down, you're nose heavy, up, tail heavy.

BBriBro 04-07-2005 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Also the way you change the cg is dependant on whether you require up or down elevator in knifedge. If you need to apply down, you're nose heavy, up, tail heavy.

Really ? I have never heard that. I thought the height of the stab is what caused pitching up or down in KE, (compare a Cap, to an extra, yak, sukhoi, etc)

bodywerks 04-07-2005 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: NE0

I suppose if the fuse flexed a whole lot in knife edge due to all stringer construction and little to no sidewall ply, it could pull the canopy away... but I can't imagine that thing flexes anywhere near that amount. I mean you're talking about the front of the turtle deck moving a quarter of an inch or more for the pin to come out of the hole! [X(]

Tom
I would say here is where the problem lies. For those of you with the canopy latch, assemble the plane, put it on the ground, and attempt to twist the fuse at the vertical fin by rocking it back and forth and watch the canopy gap...you may be suprized.

ten pillows 04-07-2005 05:45 PM

Mike bring your plane down Saturday to the Ram flying field. We'll have Kyle, John and several other awesome 3d flyers there. I am sure they would be very helpful.

Mike

NE0 04-07-2005 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I wasn't referring to fuselage deformation but canopy deformation in knifed edge if the tabs are not there to prevent lateral movement.

Marc
Gotcha, yeah... you're right, the canopy flexes a lot!

I would say here is where the problem lies. For those of you with the canopy latch, assemble the plane, put it on the ground, and attempt to twist the fuse at the vertical fin by rocking it back and forth and watch the canopy gap...you may be suprized.
I don't think so. I just tried it and it twisting the tail didn't do anything at all up at the canopy. Actually, I couldn't twist the tail without applying so much torque that it would break something. I don't think this is what's happening.

I will admit, while the latch works great on the DV and Vision, the canopy on those planes is HALF the size and surface area than that of the Yak. Maybe that large sidewall of the canopy stretching all the way up to the cowling is catching too much air in knife edge?

I did try pressing in on the sides of the canopy walls to see what happens... it flexes in a lot. If you push in on the sides towards the front or back, it doesn't move, but pushing in on the sides at the center makes the bottom edge of the canopy lift slightly and move in towards the inside of the fuse a good bit. Is this doing it?... I dunno. I still don't think so, as that flexing is still present even if you use the bolts instead of the latch.

I suppose you could add dowel pins coming out of the bottom of the canopy down into holes in the top of the fuse deck. That would keep the sides from flexing in, but would be a bear to install and line them up. Maybe just a small block of wood glued to the top of the fuse deck, just inside the edges of the canopy? That would block the sides from flexing in.

This is a real puzzler, as I too was able to virtually lift the plane off the table by the canopy without a hint of coming loose. I'm going to have to really give this some thought since I haven't yet committed to any mount method yet. ;)

It sure works great on the DV, but that canopy is WAY smaller and a good bit sturdier too... no flex on that puppy at all.

Tom

NE0 04-07-2005 06:57 PM

OK, mounting my control horns in the rudder and have a question...

As you know, the slots for the horns are much wider than the horns (so you can manuever them into place). It seems to me that I read somewhere in this thread that you slide the horns toward the back of the slots? The manual says that the holes in the horns should be in line with the hinge joint... which can barely be accomplished even with the horns all the way to the front of the slot.

Everything I've ever understood about hingings says put the holes on the horn in line with the hinges, but... Just double-checkin' before I mix up the epoxy! ;)

Sorry if I'm asking an old question... this thread is just too big to find stuff in anymore!

wgeffon 04-07-2005 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: NE0

Everything I've ever understood about hingings says put the holes on the horn in line with the hinges, but... Just double-checkin' before I mix up the epoxy! ;)

Thats correct.

NE0 04-07-2005 07:14 PM

Thought so... Thanks Wayne!

T

Absolut Yak 04-07-2005 07:18 PM

A slightly different subject than canopies.

I just acquired a very lightly used DA 50 ser#1624. Any idea where that is in the production numbers? I asked DA about needing the wrist pin mod and they said the problem was intermittent in the production run and to just run the engine until I heard it rattling at high speed. If I did, send it in for the fix. They also mentioned the quitting problem with the tail being lifted. Said tweak the lean needle just a hair.

Doug

wgeffon 04-07-2005 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: djccrn

Said tweak the lean needle just a hair.

Doug

Which one is the lean needle?

wgeffon 04-07-2005 07:38 PM

Neo,

Hows J.David doing?