RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Comp-Arf 2.3 with a Brison 3.2 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5071926-comp-arf-2-3-brison-3-2-a.html)

bubbagates 12-03-2006 09:27 PM

Comp-Arf 2.3 with a Brison 3.2

Has anyone got any opinions, both good and bad, on using a well broken in 3.2 Brison on a Comp-arf 2.3 Extra.

I'm seriously considering this plane and my funds are somewhat limited due to holiday stuff

The setup I'm thinking about is:

NOTE: I'm not planning on all out 3D and I know the manual shows and recommends the DA50 on a canister

Brison 3.2
Slimline Pitts
Hitech 5945's all around
SWB Arms all around
2 Fromeco 2400's (one for the engine, one for the reciever)
The radio will be the new Spektrum DX7

Jake Ruddy 12-03-2006 10:54 PM

RE: Comp-Arf 2.3 with a Brison 3.2

Well 2 comments really...

That's a pretty expensive plane to have it way under powered. I have seen videos of this thing fly with a DA 50 on pipes and was less than impressed. Sure it flys.. but the DA just isn't that powerful of an engine that it deserves to be an option for this plane. My friend flys one with a 3w70 and thats a pretty decent combo as far as power.

If you put that engine there you should change your statement to "NOTE: I'm not planning ANY 3D and I know the manual shows and recommends the DA50 on a canister :D

Flyfalcons 12-03-2006 10:57 PM

I have one of these engines and love it but I think the 2.3 might be a little too much plane for it. I know it's kind of a bad situation to be in but if you're going to buy a high quality plane like this, you probably don't want it to fall short of its potential due to power issues. Fortunately there are inexpensive engines that would fly that airplane well, and there are good (true) 50cc planes out there that would work well with the Brison. Good luck with your decision.

larshkj 12-04-2006 05:10 AM

I bought this plane with a 3W50i on cans earlier this year. I realized that this isn't really a 50cc plane. It flies very well, but the power is far from enough for 3D.
I just installed a 3W75i. Haven't flown it yet, but I expect the power to be very good with this combo. It will be a couple hundred grams heavier with 50% more power.

You will be disappointed if you're buing this plane for a Brison 3.2.

Lars

torqmeister 12-04-2006 08:08 AM

If I had a Brison 3.2, & I do (two of them), I would buy the Ultra RC 87" Yak, Or wait a few days & look at the new offerings from Extreme Flight.

blikseme300 12-04-2006 08:09 AM

I tried with a ZDZ50 first. Performance was marginal. Changed out with a 3W75iUS. Now it flies about the same as my 2.6 with a 3W106 - ballistic!. Don't under power this plane.

Safe Flying!

bubbagates 12-04-2006 08:31 AM

Thanks guys, I see the pattern here. I'll sell the Brison and get a 3W75 for it. No big deal. I thought it sounded a little off when I read what was recommended

mu2driver 12-04-2006 09:51 AM

I have built and flown several of these 2.3m Extras... a Blue House, JR Scheme, 2 White Reds, Prototype's and more I cant remember...
The plane flys very good, but just like the others have mentioned it can handle more power and you deserve it! I have done some pretty good 3D with the DA50 and Canister "which only adds weight" Torque Roll's & Lots of Hovers, rolling Harriers, blenders, Waterfalls, basicaly everything I could throw at it... and the best way to describe it is like the 3.3m Yak with DA 150, not a rocket ship by a long shot but once you get use to the lack of instant power its all good and plenty of fun, just like the 2.6m. That little 50 is reving high most of the time which where it makes its power! is not small 90" wing...the 50 will fly it good, but not as good as the 80cc
One thing to add is its ability to perform very good IMAC maneuvers, it can snap balistic fast and precision, with not much effort, point rolls, slow rolls, hammers, 45's...It out flys most 90" planes...IMO

Sure there are plenty of choices out there but the 2.3m Extra is a solid choice! and the Brisson 3.2ci is a great motor!

Darcy Wingo

bubbagates 12-04-2006 09:59 AM

Thanks Darcy, your opinion is always appreciated and congrats on becoming a rep for Comp-ARF

mu2driver 12-04-2006 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Thanks Darcy, your opinion is always appreciated and congrats on becoming a rep for Comp-ARF
Thanks man! Basicaly the only thing that changed is the official title and the ability to provide my own customer service from now on...

Let me know if you have any questions, as alwasy Im here to help!

mu2driver 12-10-2006 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just thought I would share this with you guys..

Its my New 3D Fun/Fly ship and it flys on Rails!!! I love how this little plane flys, very true, little mixing to get perfect KE Passes...

C-Arf 2.3m Extra 300 DA50/MTW Can, JR 8611s on everything even Throttle, Fromeco L-Ions, JR R2000....

bubbagates 12-10-2006 09:46 AM

Darcy,

Sold...I'll take one. No kidding. After Christmas I'll be calling

mu2driver 12-10-2006 10:09 AM

I'll tell you, after flying just about everything on the market, I am really impressed with it. The way it grooves is like a bigger plane, the power is not unlimited with a 50 but Im not worried because if I want I can slap in the EVO80 and have mega power.

I will try and get a vid out soon, just to show its qualities..

bubbagates 12-10-2006 10:41 AM

Just a few quick questions.

Did you mount the 50 sideways like the manaul suggests? I do not see it sticking out the bottom...

Which prop are you turning?

How about a 1060 pipe. Do you think it would end up too tail heavy? I know I'd have to move a few things around.

I'm not looking for all out 3D not even a little 3D but I am after solid and like you said I can always stuff something bigger in later on

I also have a well broken in DA50 that I may stuff in it instead

mu2driver 12-10-2006 10:49 AM

The engine mounts sideways an dthe can is directly underneath.

The 1060 gives a little more performance but it requires a few mods of rhe rudder tray/ tank tray...

Im turning the Mejzlik 23-8 and it really works good, but for a little more spunk, you can use the 22-8 or 22-10..

AVIOJET 12-10-2006 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, recently I have purchased a 2.3 Extra 330L from C-ARF in the Futaba scheme and I need some help from you.
The set up is.

MVVS 58 engine
94 KS canister
1525-1 header kit
24x10 CF Engel Super Silence prop -turns at 6700 r.p.m.
5955 for rudder
5985 for elevators
5645 one for ea. ail.
2400 mA Ni-Cd for Rx
1400 mA Ni-Cd for ignition
Total weight 9.6 Kg. -21 pounds
C.G. 115 mm. at tip

The aircraft flights very well and I am very happy with it, BUT.... in the knife edge flight it goes to the bottom to much and very quickly and it needs a lot of up elevator. After 2 or 3 secs. I must release the elevator to get a straight flight. With nose wind this phenomenon is very smooth and predictable so I get decents knife edge flights, but with tail wind....... it is desperately.

Any help for the knife edge?

Sorry for my bad english

BR

Jesus

mu2driver 12-10-2006 03:23 PM

Mix using a PMix Rudder to Up Elev. start with 10% and adjust up or down from there. Only work on one way at a time until you get it perfect. You might need also 1% opposite Rudder to aileron...

Let me know if this makes sence...

Andrew Bird 12-10-2006 04:33 PM

I'm running a 2.3 prototype scheme on a DA50 with MTW can and the lightest set up I can get. It 3d's well, it just doesn't have mega power. I give this airframe some real stick and It challenges my skills to make sure I stay 1 step ahead of it. I am playing with the Engel 24x8 prop. It sounds too much but it's working out great. The engine revs free, throws plenty of air over my control surfaces and sounds great.

mu2driver 12-10-2006 04:44 PM

Sweet man!
I just got the plane back home and started playing with it a little, we initialy built it with 2x 8611's on the rudder but I think its way over kill so I changed that setup to 1 x 8611 and swb arm...

Who sells that engle prop?

This thing all together is much bigger than you think...not much smaller than the 2.6m...

bubbagates 12-10-2006 05:16 PM

You guys are really peaking my interest....I'm liking what I am hearing big time :D

AVIOJET 12-10-2006 06:08 PM

Hi Darcy, the link to Engel is:

http://www.engelmt.de/en/index.php

I don't get used to mixers, I perform the knife edge by hand. BTW must I flick a switch to activate the mix ele.-rud.?

I will try with a C.G. position slightly more nose heavy, my Extra is balanced at the rear limit according to the instructions.

BR

Jesus

bubbagates 12-10-2006 06:15 PM

BR,

I like to leave my KE mixes on all the time. It comes in handy when landing and you on the rudder dealing with a crosswind. I know others that setup a switch and use it when needed. It's more a personal preference. I'd setup a switch, leave it on all the time and if you like it then reset it up to be on all the time

GoeKeli 12-10-2006 06:43 PM

Guys, the 2.3 is one of my loves in this hobby. I sold it a while back after over 500 flights. Darcy my good buddy saw some of my very first flights on it. The 2.3/DA50 1060 combo was very different to build and get to balance than the previous wood kits I had before and was so far above anything I had ever owned. It is always fun to see a new generation of pilots approach the 2.3 with scepticism here on RCU then to find out it is one baddasss machine. Good luck to everyone who is building and flying this plane, it is and was for me and perhaps will again be my favorite plane. THe 2.3 is not a real sleeper so to speak but many over look it. I'd like to do another as soon as I fly the wings off my 2.6, that is a very logical step up for those that are working on their 2.3s! ~)
Congratulations on your position with comp-arf Darcy! You are my hero dude for sticking with it, they should be very very grateful to have you!

Joe :D

mu2driver 12-10-2006 06:50 PM

Thanks Joe!

Every Pro Pilot that I know of uses Mixes to trim there plane to fly perfectly without the need to flick a switch, if you do it this way your flying ability will get better.

bubbagates 12-10-2006 06:56 PM

Joe,

I appreciate the words and you are not the first one that has said very similar things to me via PM. I have a few larger planes but I wanted to move into Comp-Arf and have something a bit smaller to replace some 30% planes and felt this was a decent first one and the goal is to have a 3m Extra 260 in the yellow Kiwi by the middle of next season ( I have a thing for yellow planes :D ). I got to fly a SuperXtra a short time ago and was totally blown away and at that point I decided by next season I would have at least one or more.

I actually just did the quote thing about 1/2 hour ago for purchase after Christmas so in a sense I pulled the plug on a 2.3 :D