RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5452111-extreme-flight-88%22-yak-build-fly.html)

Flyin Hawaiian 11-13-2007 07:15 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: Flyin Hawaiian

Hey Guys,

Here is a video that my wife & I put together from "Roar & Soar" at the Fantasy of Flight Aviation Museum.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZyHDgg9JH4

Check out the other Thread I posted on this awesome event!

Link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6615871/tm.htm
Okay, here is another video from same event except professionally done by John at JP Media. AWESOME JOB!

http://www.****/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=37092

you will have to type in "f-l-y-i-n-g-g-i-a-n-t-s .com" with no spaces or dashes, in place of the asterisks to get to the link. [:@] sorry!

MustangAce 11-13-2007 11:35 PM

Nice videos. Makes me want to go fly me Yak. Thanks for the inspiration.

StPeteFlyer 11-15-2007 06:07 PM

Well I finally got the permsion from my wife to go ahead and buy the 88" yak. :D Before I did I wanted to find out what length extension and how many I need for the servos. I know it said it back ealier in the thread when I was reading all 198 pages but can't seem to find it now. Thanks for the help.

grnd0 11-15-2007 06:19 PM

2- 36" for elevators
2- 12" for ailerons
1- 12" throttle
2- 6" for the aileron channels in the receiver,
so you can remove your wings and unplug at the
extension, not receiver.

Larry

bgold 11-15-2007 07:43 PM

If you want to remove the stabs I think you need 48" extension.

xtraflyr 11-15-2007 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Spectre1

ORIGINAL: Mokken

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Hey Guys,
I hate when they don't update you about the forum.. So I figured I would post and get me back in the ring.. Ive been flyin the poop out of my Yak. It seems with the cooler air temps like 49deg. the DA pulls like a truck out of a hover with the DA fitty on a 22x8 Mejzlik. I did my first Kedge Loop today talk about nothing special happining!! Had a nice death slide today from about 300' to 20' off the deck.. This is so fun to fly,I can't get enough of it!! I havent flown anything else since Sept.except some stuff my Dad has to fly.

Im glad I gave it a good look over today. I found the where the Tuned Pipe mount sits on the side of the tunel cracked the balsa that it mounts to.

My Da seems to vibrate some and I know the prop is balanced. Can it be that the low end is to rich still? Shakes enough to make the canopy look like its gonna break,rattles it some. What cha think? If I put some pressure on the top of the cowl the rattle stops.

Cya..
Frank
That's normal, only way you are going to stop it from doing that is to put additional dowel pins in the front of the cowl into the front former. I did that to mine and it doesn't shake anymore.

The reason why you are not getting updated on the thread is because you have your notification set to just notify once when the thread is updated, if you don't visit the thread when you receive that email it will stop emailing you further notifications.

Go into "settings" and under "Thread subscription preference"

choose

"Notify me whenever a message is posted"

I'll bet you have the following chosen:

"Notify me once per thread until I visit the thread again"
I added a couple of wraps of Blenderm tape around the from tabs on the cowl were it fits into F-1. This is where most of the vibes are coming from it dint eliminate the shake but helped considerably.
I may do the dowel Mod too.
Do you have a good pic of the mod?
Spectre
I used red electrical tape. I think a few more layers,most of my shaking should go away..I may put it on the tabs also,good idea spectre1.

Cya.
X

decoy26 11-15-2007 10:15 PM

Just a thought I have used this before but just a little silicon caulk really light typically takes all my vibration away. Using in on the tabs keeps it out of sight and reduces vibration as well.

Josey Wales 11-15-2007 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: decoy26

Just a thought I have used this before but just a little silicon caulk really light typically takes all my vibration away. Using in on the tabs keeps it out of sight and reduces vibration as well.
Good idea! Im gonna try that---the dowl mod sounds good too

Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway 11-16-2007 06:32 AM

The back of my canopy has been cracked and glued several times. I saw a plane somewhere where they just cut off the overlap but it didn't look as nice as the factory.
So I ca glued the crack one more time then took canopy cement and trowled it on with a popsicklie stick in that bottom corner of the canopy nice and flat but complete in that bottom corner, both sides. I let it cure for a day and backed it with masking tape (for now) The tape insures that it won't stick in the hot sun when the canopy is bolted on.
I only have two flights since the mod but it appears that it will be stiffer to keep those cracks from returning for a while.
Next I will go to the canopy tabs in the front and do the same with the canopy cement.

Flyin Hawaiian 11-16-2007 07:39 AM

My Canopy has its share of problems as well,

Here is what I did to help tame tne "rattling" of the canopy. First I used blemderm tape around the front top of the canopy. This help to make a nice snug fit. I put on just enough so that the overlap from the engine cowl covered it. Next I lined the bottom of the canopy w/ 1/8" wing saddle foam tape on all four sides. It helped to quiet down the rattling.

As far as the cracking of the over lap from the canopy to the fuselage turtledeck, I cut off some of the overlap, a little more than a 1/4" rounding off the bottom corners. It did start to crack so I took some very lightweight fiberglass cloth and backed the corners on the plastic canopy and the back canopy former w/ thin CA. I let it over hang the canopy plastic, let dry and trim off access. Never had a problem since.

MustangAce 11-16-2007 06:43 PM

I used blenderm on the turtledeck under the canopy with no problems. 78 flights to date.

decoy26 11-16-2007 07:42 PM

Are you all having to make a larger hole for the axels. I got the 3/16th dubros like the manual states and the hole is too small, did you all drill it out or did I get the wrong axels?

yarom 11-16-2007 08:27 PM

Yes - needed to drill the gear but used the PSP Titanium axles.

ORIGINAL: decoy26

Are you all having to make a larger hole for the axels. I got the 3/16th dubros like the manual states and the hole is too small, did you all drill it out or did I get the wrong axels?

nick05 11-17-2007 04:36 PM

love this plane to peices but have one prob....
having probs with my DL 50 & KS 1060 tuned pipe (vess 23b prop) being to peaky/ punchy, ive measured the header lengh (TBM 25mm drop) from the exhaust flange to start of pipe and it comes out at 12 1/4 inches now i ve read somewhere that it should be 11 inch with this pipe but my problem is i have a nice knuckle on the end of the header which i dont really want to cut off so my question is do i have to or can i shorten the pipe lengh and by how much ??

cheers guys

Flyin Hawaiian 11-17-2007 05:31 PM

Nick, I would not cut anything. lots of guys are just running that set-up right out of the box. Vess 23B is a great prop. Might want to fine tune the neddles a little, or use a throttle curve on the power band. I have the ES composite pipe on a DA 50 and it has a slight burst of power in a certain part of the band but is managable in hovers. I know that Chris Hinson is running a KS 1060 pipe on his and it performs great.

nick05 11-17-2007 06:02 PM

i think tbh it could do with shortening as the pipe is peaking, its horrible in the prop hang i litterally have to think about moving the stick and she punches out and pulls vertical plus if you leave throttle stick in position the engine dies off :eek:

theres throttle response and there is too much throttle response lol, would be nice to get it a bit smoother ;)

lastresort 11-17-2007 06:04 PM

I had the same situation and took quite a bit out with throttle curve.My B60 and ESpipe were at first peaky or to me the combo seemed to continue to rev and it took awhile for me to get used to.I have gotten used to it some and the throttle curve adj. really smooothed things out for hovering.

Absolut Yak 11-17-2007 06:32 PM

I switched back from the 23b to a 23a to get the rpm slightly higher in hover. The motor seems to like it there just a little better and I have an easier time holding hover. By the way, DA50, MTW 75 pipe, header from DA, NO mods.

xtraflyr 11-17-2007 06:40 PM

I have the Da50 with the 1060 and its great. My throttle is linear. I just kind of blurp the throttle to keep in the hover. Took a little time to get use tobut it's no problem now. Im not a 3D guru by any stretch, but linear works for me.. Im also using a 22x8 Mejzlik if that matters at all...

Hope the weather stays ok for tomarrow. Their talking mid 40s and 5mph winds!! BUUURRRRRR!!!!!

Cya,
X

closetguy 11-17-2007 06:58 PM

i started out at 14" long from a DIY header kit from DA,on a 58gx and was getting 7400 real smooth throttle.i cut header 1" at a time and now down to a 12" header and gain 150 rpm's with a ES pipe but just starting to see throttle getting peaky.and this is with a biela 24-8 carbon.
i tried a bolly 23-8 what a joke it had it ripping at 1/2 throttle.
ENJOY!

Josey Wales 11-18-2007 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the dowel-mod to the canopy. I used 2 short pieces of CF. Works good and the canopy is nice and tight.

Flyin Hawaiian 11-18-2007 01:19 PM

Joe,

I like your mod! Good Idea[sm=thumbup.gif]

Josey Wales 11-18-2007 01:37 PM

Thanks!

tashley 11-18-2007 04:42 PM

I'll be sure and do that mod myself. So the addition of the two dowels stop all the canopy vibrations.

Josey Wales 11-18-2007 08:50 PM

So far