RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5452111-extreme-flight-88%22-yak-build-fly.html)

JoeAirPort 02-24-2009 07:52 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

1 Attachment(s)
Looken good Barry. That's close to what mine came in at (17#, 12 oz). It flies light at that weight. The wing tube is at 6 7/8" on mine. My CG was 7" and flew almost perfectly neutral....hands off level inverted. With the wing on I'm not sure what that does to the CG but I bet you not a whole lot since the wings are so close if not right on CG.

Hmm let's see now, which one should I fly.....:D

Gatorb8 02-24-2009 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

:)Another question.

I put the A123 battery in this plane. It's a 2300 aH. My question is can you meausure the voltage reliably to see when you need to recharge. I know this battery holds a pretty high voltage for a long time and then drops very suddenly. When I started on my initial test of the engine, the A123 battery read 7.08 volts. When I stopped, about 20 - 25 minutes later the voltage was 6.40 volts. What can I safely go down to?
Thanks
Barry

Barry,
I run 3 1100 A123's (1 each Rx and one for ign). Everything I have read about A123's is the voltage curve is pretty flat then falls off a cliff, measuring voltage is not a relible way to determine charge state of A123. I characterize a typical flight. Fly 15 minutes, recharge and see how much goes back in. If it looks reasonable, I go ahead and fly 3 flights, recharge and see how much goes back in, the divide by 3. That gives me the avreage flight mAh. then divide that into battery capacity (1100 for me) and that gives me the number of flights I can expect. I then subtract 2 to be conservative.

for example: 3 flights uses 600 mAh, so I use about 200 mAh per flight, divide that into 1100 gives me 5.5 flights........so I'll fly 3 flights and recharge, usually recharges in 10 minutes with a cellpro4 (4Amps).

I always charge before flying to be sure the batts didn't accidently discharge

Gator

ArcherIIDriver 02-24-2009 08:13 PM

Barry,
You really shouldn't use voltage as a measure of battery condition when running A123s.

I use a Kodiak Switch with my A123s. It measures milliamps pulled from the battery, so you have a pretty good idea about how much "fuel" you have left in the battery. It's pricey...but it works!

http://www.fromeco.org/Products/04FR...0/Default.aspx

JoeAirPort 02-24-2009 08:29 PM

One of these days I'll go A123. Right now it's a single 1950 FAUP 5-cell. Tons of available discharge current. 6 flights no recharging. I'm usually tired before the battery.

Barry Cazier 02-24-2009 09:54 PM

:)GatorB8,
I appreciate how you did that formula. That's what I'm gonna do. I ran about 20 minutes today, although I wasn't flying so no real stress on any servos, but it'll give me some idea. I have the cellpro 4 charger also, so I'll charge tonight and see how much I used and then do a real flight and recharge and make sure I'm good to go with 3 flights or so. I used to use NiMH and could easily get 5 flights but the batteries always seemed to reduce capacity in year two or three. Got where I couldn't trust them at all. Anyways, the 123 seem like the way of the future so I thought I'd try one in this plane. I'm using a 6v, 1600 mA NiMH on the ignition, but that should be plenty and no problems there.
Thanks for the tip.
Barry

torqmeister 02-24-2009 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Looken good Barry. That's close to what mine came in at (17#, 12 oz). It flies light at that weight. The wing tube is at 6 7/8" on mine. My CG was 7" and flew almost perfectly neutral....hands off level inverted. With the wing on I'm not sure what that does to the CG but I bet you not a whole lot since the wings are so close if not right on CG.

Hmm let's see now, which one should I fly.....:D

Two great airplanes, Joe. Melt snoe, melt.

cjcyclesrc 02-24-2009 11:58 PM

One of these days I'll go A123. Right now it's a single 1950 FAUP 5-cell. Tons of available discharge current. 6 flights no recharging. I'm usually tired before the battery.
The 1950's are my favorite Nimh's. I still use 3 of the packs. Two on the RX of my 88" Extra and one in my Raptor 50.

JoeAirPort 02-25-2009 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

The 1950's are my favorite Nimh's. I still use 3 of the packs. Two on the RX of my 88" Extra and one in my Raptor 50.
The Elite 2000 4/5A cell is another good one. It actually out performs the 1950 FAUP by a little. It also weighs an once ounce less than a 1950 FAUP in a 5-cell pack. I'm using one of these on the Yak.

cjcyclesrc 02-25-2009 09:13 AM

I was looking at them a couple days ago. Looks like it will be a good Nimh.

xtraflyr 02-25-2009 10:34 AM

I actually went out and got a NIMH for my ignition on the DA50. I was wondering why I was running a Fromeco lith ion on it. Now I have the other Fromeco for another project..

JoeAirPort 02-25-2009 10:46 AM

The 1500 Elite 4-cell is actually a great ignition battery. That's what I run and it seems like it barely dents it even after 6 flights. I run the RCxcel ignition which are best with 4-cell Ni batt's.

cadconversions 02-25-2009 04:52 PM

I've got 3 1950 4-cell packs and two loose 1950 cells to increase the count upto a 5 cell if you wanted to on a few of the packs. Tried selling them on here for chicken feed a month or so ago and didn't have any takers. I might need to relist them. They are all new - never used.

xtraflyr 02-25-2009 05:55 PM

The 1500 Elite 4-cell is actually a great ignition battery. That's what I run and it seems like it barely dents it even after 6 flights. I run the RCxcel ignition which are best with 4-cell Ni batt's.
Well I guess the 4.8 2100 I got I should be good for awhile without charging..:D

cjcyclesrc 02-25-2009 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Well I guess the 4.8 2100 I got I should be good for awhile without charging..:D

:) You might not even have to charge after every flight.

I can't say anything. I was running a 1 cell lipo and it failed. So I did what any modeler would do went and looked through all my stuff to see what I could rig up to keep flying. The only 4.8 volt battery I had was a 2700 Nimh and it's still in my plane, but I finished the weekend of flying and a few more months.:D

Gatorb8 02-25-2009 07:30 PM

I tried this LithiumelectronA987unobtanium-3000 last summer, 6 filghts a day since then, haven't had to charge it once!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D
Gator
signing off to fx3d......see ya!

JoeAirPort 02-25-2009 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

I tried this LithiumelectronA987unobtanium-3000 last summer, 6 filghts a day since then, haven't had to charge it once!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D
Gator
Gator have fun and do some hucken for all of us !!!

xtraflyr 02-25-2009 07:56 PM

Gator
Yea,what he said,you mother Hucker!HAHA!;)

cjcyclesrc 02-25-2009 08:21 PM

[sm=shades_smile.gif] It was only about 80 deg. here in Texas today. Looks like its going to be that way all week.

xtraflyr 02-25-2009 08:25 PM

That's not so great,we got over 40 today,and looks like we'll be close to 50 tomorrow..,then back to the 30s!:(

JoeAirPort 02-25-2009 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Gator
Yea,what he said,you mother Hucker!HAHA!;)

Yeah Gator Huck YOU !!!

EAGLE PILOT 02-25-2009 09:14 PM

Hey Joe, That's great to hear cause this is the batt that I bought from CheapBatterypacks.com over a year ago for my Yak ignition. I cycled it several times last week and brought it up to full capacity! And It's very light for the MaH.[8D]

JoeAirPort 02-26-2009 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: EAGLE PILOT

Hey Joe, That's great to hear cause this is the batt that I bought from CheapBatterypacks.com over a year ago for my Yak ignition. I cycled it several times last week and brought it up to full capacity! And It's very light for the MaH.[8D]
Got my rx and ignition batt's there. You're right it's very light. NiMh batt's have gotten a lot better.

ArcherIIDriver 02-26-2009 12:54 PM

On the ignition, I plan on using the 4-cell 2500ma NiMh that I got free w/ my DL-50. By the sounds of it, I won't need to worry about capacity! It's a "cheapo" no-name pack, but cycles to 2200mah...a bit less than stated capacity, but I'm not too concerned.

Now, if I can just get a round to wrapping up the loose end on my yak...I can go out & enjoy some of this 80 degree weather we're having!

JoeAirPort 02-26-2009 01:28 PM

If I had 80 degree weather I'd have that done today.

Snow is melting again....

MELT SNOW !!!!!!!!! :D

tashley 02-26-2009 03:08 PM

Eighty, is that all? Hell it's eighty two on the south side!:D