RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Peak Model 50 CC Edge 540 T build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/9635842-peak-model-50-cc-edge-540-t-build.html)

Crash-n-Burn 04-13-2010 07:56 PM

RE: Peak Model 50 CC Edge 540 T build

Sorry for the delay guys I am just waiting on my motor from DA its supposed to be here thursday then its back to the build. Hopefully maiden flight will be this comming monday weather permtiing. Right now with everything minus the motor, stock muffler, prop and spinner the plane weighs 12 ponds 1 ounce. More updated to follow.

Crash-n-Burn 04-15-2010 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I got the canopy fitted up today. I considered gluing it on but in all honesty that can be a complete PITA so I decided to get some dubro button screws and screw it on. Basically I mounted it up and taped it in place where I want it. Next I shot a light across so I could see the shadow of the balsa rail that I wanted to screw into. I put a straight edge down and leveled it w/ the rail then traced the line. I marked evenly spaced intervals for each screw. Next pre drill your holes ( if you dont you'll split the rail ) and place the screws. I would check with a digital caliper to make sure the screws were going in at the same intervals especially where the canopy curves. A trick at the curve is to put the center screw in first and then measure off it in both directions so the front canopy screws are the same. I was pleased w/ the result. I did put some lite ply backers for the screws that just went into balsa on the forward top hatch, this will give em a good bite. I get my DA 50 tomorrow .... more to come then

Crash-n-Burn 04-15-2010 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A Few More Pictures

T3beatz 04-15-2010 12:19 AM

looks good, the canopy should hold fine. I like the look with the screws in the canopy. The yak-55 has the one piece PVC canopy pre-glued. I'm gonna have to open it up to fit the Helmet head in there because it wont go through the back. I wasn't going to put him in but it just looks better with him.

Crash-n-Burn 04-15-2010 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
few more

Crash-n-Burn 04-15-2010 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one

stangman67 04-15-2010 12:33 AM

I think it looks pretty darn cool with the canopy screwed on. Nice work!

T3beatz 04-15-2010 02:57 AM

Yeah, I like the canopy screws they make it Pop.

Eganwp 04-15-2010 03:08 PM

Well guys I am about 98% finished! I just finished up ALL the electronics, and just have to cut the cowl and break-in the engine. I already went and got gas and premixed it even. I CANNOT WAIT! :D Saturday will be maiden day. Been working on this plane since last September (but built 5 others in between, lol). Can't wait to try out gas.

I'm just headed to the backyard to run the first break-in tank and make sure the Zeus is working fine. Hopefully the neighbours don't kill me from the noise! lol.

I'll post up pics, video, etc of the maiden for you guys and give a flight report on the plane. Good luck on your build as well crash!

Crash-n-Burn 04-15-2010 03:15 PM

kool man keep it coming ! Good luck w/ the maiden

Crash-n-Burn 04-15-2010 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chopped up the cowl today , working on getting my DA mounted, here are some pics. BTW this is with 2.5 inch DA standoffs, you cant go any shorter it just wont work

Crash-n-Burn 04-15-2010 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HMMMMM ???

Eganwp 04-15-2010 10:25 PM

Well, the DLE-55 ran purrrfectly! I only idled it for a few minutes in the backyard as my wife was complaining it was so loud she though the neighbours would call the cops, LOL. Took me awhile to get running as I somehow messed up the tank lines when I mounted it all the first time and had to go buy some new 1/8th copper tubing.

After that gong show and tank re-plumbing I fueled 'er up with 32:1 fresh fuel and sprayed a little in the cylinder for lubrication. I checked both needles and they were dead-on, but I did richen each one about 1/8th just for the first break-in tank. After about 15 flips she fired once, I hit the choke off and it started running on the third flip. As soon as it started running I knew I was sold on gas and I hate to say it, but possibly done with glow! Even at idle (1300rpm but i didn't idle it right down to see how low it would go) it felt like it pushed more air than most of my smaller glow engines/props at full bore, haha. I know it wasn't but man these huge props have some good thrust.

I'm just about to start hacking the cowl and the last thing to do is put on the decals and wax 'er up. I've even set my failsafes already. I'm going to CG it one last time as well just for reference. I plan on maidening it around the 30% MAC line as I described a few posts back. I'm not sure the wing incidence on this plane yet, but with the typical 0/0 setup I believe it's 30-33% MAC for most planes, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Manual suggests 27%, but I think that's too nose heavy, even for a maiden. I'd have to mount my A123 packs near the firewall to achieve this too.

Anyway, back to the cowl. Looking good crash. Thanks for the cowl pics so I don't have to do it all from scratch, lol. That DA100 would be absolutely insane if you didn't care about the airframe or wingloading! haha.

Crash-n-Burn 04-16-2010 12:33 AM

Thats a DA 170 my friend [8D] As far as CG I am just gonna put it on the wing tube and say F#ck it just huck it !

Crash-n-Burn 04-16-2010 12:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my throttle servo set up. Peak gives you a mount that you can basically put wherever you want. It makes setting up the throttle much easier.

Crash-n-Burn 04-16-2010 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
some more also the engine is now mounted for good.

T3beatz 04-16-2010 12:52 AM

Your almost there!! just a couple more little things and your ready to put her/him in the air!

Eganwp 04-16-2010 03:02 PM

Finished cutting the cowl last night. Man that took a long time, cause I'm so picky, haha. Looks good and very similar cuts to crash's actually. I really need to put up some pics I guess, but crash is putting up enough for the both of us. :D

So tomorrow morning is maiden, after a grounded tank. I need to do the decals tonight, cut the cannister covering (as I don't think the engine will be cool enough with the cowl cutting around the engine for that huge intake area). Crash, I think you should quick toss the decals on yours so I can plan my layout after seeing someone else mess it up first! haha j/k.

Crash-n-Burn 04-16-2010 03:29 PM

You know I was not to big a fan of the stock decals I don't think I am gonna use them. For high quality inexpensive decals check out badbrad graphics his stuff is great and he can make whatever you want.

http://www.badbradgraphics.com/

Crash-n-Burn 04-16-2010 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I got the cowl done and my prop drilled, I just need to cut my spinner and lay out my electronics once I see where the CG is coming in. I couldn't resist weighing the airplane so I stuffed everything in the fuse that for the final install, here are the weights

- Fuse w/ everything to finish crammed inside - 13 lbs 1.4 ounce
- Wings ready to fly - 3 lbs 3.2 ounce

> So far the all up weight is looking like 16 pounds 4.6 ounce. I think this will be very close probably + or minus 2 ounces after I shorten some servo extensions and add few inches of tygon tubing. So it looks like worst case its 16.5 lbs best case 16.25 lbs, I was hoping for about 1/4 lb lighter but I cant complain w/ those numbers especially tanking into account my last 50cc was 19 pounds with the same gear !

This would make my wing loading 25.27 ounce / Sq Foot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Crash-n-Burn 04-16-2010 11:52 PM

Hey dude whats you all up weight have you gotten it yet ?

Eganwp 04-17-2010 05:54 AM

Haha Crash I actually just signed in now (and yes it's 5:00am as I just finished...) to post the all-up-weight RTF as I JUST finished it. Literally just the decals are left. Tonight I mounted the a123 packs, cut hole in the cowl for h/l speed needs, waxed the cowl, cut cannister covering and a little bit of wire management and odds/ends.

I recommend you sit down with a beer in hand for the unveiling, but I just weighed my plane on 2 different scales and her AUW RTF is 15.50 lbs!!!! On 1485 squares that's less than a freakin trainer for cubic wing loading!!!! LOL. Now I really can't wait to maiden this in the morning. This DLE-55 is litterally gonna tear the wings off this plane!

Do keep in mind, this is using my very light fully redundant 3D setup (2x 1100mah a123 packs I built, Fromeco Wolverine dual switch, 42% Zeus, DLE-55, etc) & components which is similar to yours but a hair lighter. With the everyday flying/IMAC setup w/ the overkill dual 2300mah A123 packs, she came in at 15.75lbs RTF which is still rediculously light. :D

Crash, for your CG, I honestly had to keep everything as far forward as possible. Because it's an Edge and doesn't have swept wings like all other planes, your CG shifts forward quite a bit to achieve that ~1/3rd weight forward of the wing balance. I might add a little weight up front (as I dont have a spinner yet) for the maiden just to be sure as I'm sitting around the 32% MAC line RTF as is now. I did however manage to build it with my a123 packs right on the CG point so switching to the 1100's will require no shifting.

I will soon post up some pics and video as I haven't posted anything just trying to get this thing finished for tomorrow! I'll let you know how the maiden goes tomorrow! :D

Eganwp

T3beatz 04-17-2010 07:28 AM

sounds good Egan, looks like you got a floater on your hands! I think its gonna fly wonderfully.

Crash-n-Burn 04-17-2010 07:35 AM

Wow man thats stupid light holy c#ap thats gonna be crazy with a 55 cc motor. My only problem w/ A123's is that you cant load check them so you can never be sure that your batteries are functioning properly. For that reason i decided to stick w/ the Li-ion Batteries. But wow 15.5 pounds, crazy dude just stupid wow enjoy your maiden flight today !!

T3beatz 04-18-2010 04:57 AM

The link to the Yak-55SP build... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9669386/tm.htm