Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Don Smith Cessna T-50

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Don Smith Cessna T-50

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith Cessna T-50

Rich,

Here is a link to a video done with the GoPro.
https://vimeo.com/56025042

Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Dash7ATP

And here is a short hote I sent him last night and his response.

Joe,

GoPro has never published the weight of the camera. I do not have a scale that will weigh something that small.

The Hero 3 has narrow, medium, and wide setting, but these are done on the sensor (not with the lens) I have heard that the narrow shots are not as sharp as the wide
but I have not tested for myself.

With a 16 gig card The camera and card run out at about 90 minutes on average.

KO

XXXXXXXX
Subject: GoPro
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 10:07:16 -0500

Hi Kendall,
I have been swapping posts on one of my radio control forums with a guy who is interested in putting a video camera in the cockpit of his large model. I mentioned the GoPro which I know you are very familiar with. So, I have a few questions. It appears that some of the shots you post are with a wide angle lens. Does it also have a "Normal" setting? How much do they weigh?And finally, how long will they shoot continually on one charge,or memory chip?
I enjoyed your "Lesson on fishing the HRBT" but I didn't have much luck there this past season.
Thanks and have a good day!
Joe

As I said earlier , this camera is a very well made unit and has been used by surfers with it attached to the boards, by pilots with one on the wingtips, and on the helmets of free fall jumpers. It's probably over built for what you are considering. I know there are much smaller units out there. A search on EBay should show up a good selection.

Joe

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
rhsmrt50

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

......I went there Joe, checked it out and decided to buy one..........with the waterproof case it weighs 2.6oz.........without case, 1.6oz..........very acceptable!.............

thanks for the tip Joe

Rich.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
rhsmrt50

Joe, I think the wide resolution version would be just the thing..........the Bobcat has a nice array of windows scanning almost 180 degrees......... if the camera were placed on a pedistal at the very rear of the cabin the effect of the wide angle lenswould be impressive.............also, a self contained unit with it's on receiver andminature servos will allow for a wide range of shots........but, since it's opperating on it's own system, you wouldneed to have the camera man standing along side to do the filming.....right?

Rich.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: rhsmrt50

Joe, I think the wide resolution version would be just the thing..........the Bobcat has a nice array of windows scanning almost 180 degrees......... if the camera were placed on a pedistal at the very rear of the cabin the effect of the wide angle lenswould be impressive.............also, a self contained unit with it's on receiver andminature servos will allow for a wide range of shots........but, since it's opperating on it's own system, you wouldneed to have the camera man standing along side to do the filming.....right?

Rich.
OK Rich, Now don't dig yourself into a hole. If you mount this on a pedistal, you will have to do a full cockpit to make it look right! Now let's see - if we make the throttle quadrant functional and the Artificial Horizon actually work............... Oh well, Guess we can save that one for another day, although from what I've seen already, you could probably do it!

Joe
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Dash7ATP

Quick question......... wasn't the Bamboo Bomber Sky King's first pplane before he went to the 310?

If so. you'll have to find a pilot that looks like Penny!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
rhsmrt50

....well, as a matter of fact the compass is the only instrument that really works........it's mounted on the windshield center post.....right in plain view of the camera........details of the compass are on pg-763. I did entertain the thought of having the control wheels move using micro servos inline with the control surface servos...........but, .that's an after thought that can be added later......my goal is tohave her ready to fly by Aug............so, I need to hold off the finer detail of the interior and concentrate on the outer detail........then if I have time left before the Bomber field event in Sep, then I can add the goodies.........sort of like the "Iron chef cook off"........they make ready the main course and add the details upuntil the clock runs out..........if you know what i mean.

Rich.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
rhsmrt50

.....Funny you should mention that Joe............My love for this aircraft began at the tender age of 10..........(1950)............"Out of the Blue of the Western Skys comes Sky King"..........we sat down on the floor every Satmorning to watch a thirtyminute episode sponsered by Nabisco........The aircraft was a war surplus UC-78, one of several designations assigned to the Cessna T-50 as they entered service with the Army Air force,and Navy...along withsales to canada and Great Britton.

I became interested in building the 'Songbird"......Sky Kings aircraft from the Flying Crown RanchwithSky and Penny at the controls........My friend Murphey, also on thisthread, did just that........a nice photo of his completed Songbird is featured on pg760.........my main reason for going with a military version are many.......

.......The military requested the full greenhouse cocpit windows which means that the top of canopy wasalso clear to see above.......great for the trainerit was to be.......but, it was very uncomfortable in the hot and sunny areas of the country.........so many of them were converted to a closed canopy.....as the Songbird was.

....so to build utilizing the full exposureof the greenhouse windows I would have to model after apost war civilian cofiguration and color scheme......and that is just fine.....but, this aircraft is very rare, so not many to choose from.............I decide that I did not want a modified postwar aircraft.........I wanted to build this Cessna in it's purest form....staright from the factory as they were delivered to the AAF.........

....I have more to wright to you about my choice of color and markings..........they will be interesting, but I need to get ready for a five day trip in the morning.

...will pick up on this story when I return.............thanks Guys.

Rich..
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 AM
slither46

Hi guys, I know you haven'y seen me post on here in a long time. That is because I had sold my C-50 project a while back. I did however just post a complete lighting set for the plane in the classifieds today. It includes every light for the plane. Check it out if you are interested. Thanks, Bill
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
rhsmrt50

....thanks for the info on the lighting ...........but, do you have a link to go too?..............I'am not sure how to navigate thru the classified...........I did build my own lighting to scale, but I am always interested in whats available for comparison.......glad to hear from you again.......please stay in touch,

Rich..
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
rhsmrt50

.........Joe, are you out there?..........I have been out traveling again with ole friends............I did mention that in my last post...........Joe, I did buy the White Edition of the GoPro Camera..........it was $199 from K-Mart..........about as cheap as you could get without a discount..........they also have the Silver edition for $299 and the Black edition for $399.........the main difference between then are the bell's and whistles........I suppose..........anyway, I bought the cheapest one, which was the white edition. This is the neatest little camera I have seen for the money..........it can take still shots as well as video.......I'am not an expert on cameras and I am still learning how to use it......but, it is very easy to use..........it records in individule frames as long as you wish......them files them as an MP-3 .......so, they are not connected to run as a contionus video..........from what I understand you need to install hardware to link the frames together ........the files are very large......the camera card itself is 32G..........I do not know how to downsize them for posting on RCU,,,,,,,,,,I have been loading them to the memory stick, just to reduce the files on the computer.............Joe, I have played around with this camera ever since I purchased it.............I set a mock-up installation in the cabin area of of the Bobcat........the camera has such a wide angle lenswhere you can see the whole dash, pilots and even the side windows without moving the camera.......so if you can rotate it right and left with it's own servo....then, you would have a panaramic view.............thanks again Joe.........this camera can also be used under water!!!

Rich.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Dash7ATP

That should be really neat when you get the Bobcat finished. By then You'll have figured out the camera. As I said, a fellow in my flyfishing club uses one a lot in his fishing. Lots of underwater stuff as well.

Joe

Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RPRCBuilder is now framing up the T-50.

He started on the 25th and now has most of the ribs and some additional wind structure parts cut out.

Does anyone have a landing gear for this plane they want to sell?? Just trying to cut production cost

More to follow
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
rhsmrt50

Welcome Steve..........glad to see you are now building the Bobcat.....we are just a small group tho and info on this plane is quite rare......I do have alot of material, photos, technical manuals, literature, models, plans and other memoribila if you are building for full or partial scale I may be able to help in that area......The landing gear is still available thru Robart Mfg inc...............the price is $668.45.........allow 10 to 12 weeks until delivery.......there address and phone no. are......

Robert Mfg. inc.
625 N. 12th st.
St. Charles IL 60174
ph (630) 584-7616
fx (630) 584-3712
hours of operation
Mon/Fri 9:00 am - 4:00 pm cst

Push 3 for tech support and ask for Justin......he will will take your order.

photos included......the tail wheel assembly is custom built and info is avail on this thread.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46242.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1846808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78487.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1846809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67922.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1846810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66414.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1846811  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Thanks rhsmrt50,

RPRCBuilder and I will be working on this frame up together as other builds in the past. I must add he is really the builder and I help between work, a full scale plane project, and a 72 MACH I Mustang home project my wife ask about again just a few minutes ago. Thanks for the offer of assistance on tech data and detail. We were talking about that last evening. We were thinking about the ARMY green and stars, but the photo of the silver with NAS Pensacola one in the earlier photo caught my eye. I am from Pensacola and my dad trained T-28 cadets there in the late 50’s early 60 timeframe. I will be seeing what RPRCBuilder thinks about it today when I get there.

I look forward to seeing everyone’s progress here.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
rhsmrt50

Steve, I to have too many projects.........I am retired from Vought Aircraft but belong to the retirement club...........Iwork with a restoration group to restore past Vought aircraft.......we meet every Tue andThur to work from 9:00 am to about noonor after..........in fact two of our resorations are on display at the Navel Air Museum in Pensacola..........one is the very first Vought trainer sold to the Navy......the only one in existance and it was scratched build from plans and drawings from our archives and the help of Smithonian Instuite..........and, it was the first aircraft to lift off the deck of a ship, I believe it was the Langely, a converted friget.

.....it was the Vought E-17....designated the VE-17.........The other aircraft on display there is the one and only left in the world....F6-U Pirate, Voughts very first jet powered aircraft..........we have rare aircraft on display in other locations as well.........

.....Then, I have a 1960 Ford Sunliner that I restored about ten years ago.........it has attended many car shows......still have her just sitting in the garage.......will send a pic.......I guess it's ok to send one pic of a car on the thread, it was a project also...................My favorite car of today are those beautiful Mustangs!!!!

....Theod green and grey were UC-78's....some UC-78"s weresilver...........thePensacola color scheme you refer too is the Navy JRC-1.......it is a light grey with green trim.............go to page 28, post 694......there you will see photos of EdCouche's JRC-1 in flight...........very nice.

Steve, on page 31, post 762 you willfind an offer to sell a short kit along with the landing gear for $600...........I do not know if it has been bought up or not.......but check it out......it may still be available.

Steve, thanks for sharing a little info aboutyou and yourdad.....and your many projects.........please keep sending progress reports on your dad's project.

Rich.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
rhsmrt50

....Steve, here is a couple pic's of the Sunliner build.........it was expensive but fun..........so, I decided to downsize to a simpler and cheaper project.............the T-50Bobcat..........well, it's not a simple project nor is it cheap...........but, it's still fun.....soit keeps an ole guy content...

enjoy,
Rich.

Name:	Fc90419.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1846895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94885.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1846896  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM
rhsmrt50

......Alright, enough of this car stuff, this is a T-50 build thread.........so, onward we go!!............but,it hurts me deeply to inform you that I have lost a lot of footage of bench time taken in the past month...........I must have pushed the wrong button and delitedall but photosbefore 01-31-13.......so, withgreat regret of my blunder I have only the 01-31-13 photos of the Right Nacelle..............so sad, boo hoo!................please forgive me..............I'll just haveto pick up the peicesand go on....so let the film roll......enjoy.

Rich.

Name:	Sq46509.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1846901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88917.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1846902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73007.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1846903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66154.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1846904   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10516.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1846905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo88649.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1846906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce71295.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1846907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx80858.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1846908  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf68306.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1846909  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
rhsmrt50

...Did'nt want to overload the system with too many photos on that first go-around...........so, same song, second verse........let-her roll!

Name:	Zx69979.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1846911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27994.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1846912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45736.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1846913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44492.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1846914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23823.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1846915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13011.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1846916  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 PM
SpaceRanger

Restored airplanes are not necessarily good references.

The Bobcat in the Naval Aviation Museum is in a correct color scheme for a US Navy instrument trainer, but no Bobcats were actually painted in that scheme as far as I have been able to determine. All JRC-1s were UC-78s built to an Army contract and transferred from the Army Air Forces to the US Navy. They all apparently kept their original Army color scheme and were either silver overall or olive drab over neutral gray.

The Naval Aviation Museum's airplane was donated to the Museum by its former owner, who probably thought the airplane looked "pretty" in those colors and had it painted accordingly. It also has a bubble windshield, which was a post-WW II modification.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM
rhsmrt50

........Thanks for the correction Mike, I forgot about that......must be getting old I guess....
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM
SpaceRanger

......must be getting old I guess....
You and me both!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM
WARBIRDRCER

ORIGINAL: SpaceRanger

Restored airplanes are not necessarily good references.

The Bobcat in the Naval Aviation Museum is in a correct color scheme for a US Navy instrument trainer, but no Bobcats were actually painted in that scheme as far as I have been able to determine. All JRC-1s were UC-78s built to an Army contract and transferred from the Army Air Forces to the US Navy. They all apparently kept their original Army color scheme and were either silver overall or olive drab over neutral gray.

The Naval Aviation Museum's airplane was donated to the Museum by its former owner, who probably thought the airplane looked ''pretty'' in those colors and had it painted accordingly. It also has a bubble windshield, which was a post-WW II modification.

That is not bad news. I have never competed in any kind of scale meet, but a good friend of mine who is the chief judge at Top Gun told me awhile ago if you have photos of the full scale and can support the scheme by photos and documentation you can model a plane after it and compete in scale. It would be fun to enter an AMA fun scale, but there are not any here in OKC to attend.

Anyhow thanks for the PNS plane data. Any other info or photos you have would be great. I may ask some friends or family there to go to NAS PNS museum and shoot me some detail photos.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM
WARBIRDRCER

....Steve, here is a couple pic's of the Sunliner build.........it was expensive but fun..........so, I decided to downsize to a simpler and cheaper project.............the T-50 Bobcat..........well, it's not a simple project nor is it cheap...........but, it's still fun.....so it keeps an ole guy content...

enjoy,
Rich.
Good looking car.

Here are my two projects:

Now, back to the T-50's
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
rhsmrt50

....Looks like you have a lot on the table..........nice project car and plane.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.