Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Don Smith Cessna T-50

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Don Smith Cessna T-50

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail
Here are a couple of shots of the framed up fuse and the Robart Landing Gear built for the Bobcat. I have the cowls, the nose, and the tail cone. Teach me fellows. Chic
Redtail, I did not know, or at least remember you were building a Bobcat?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 AM
P51NUT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Warbirdrcer,

I did not know you were that close to completing the T50. do you know what engines you are going to use?
The paint job is looking great, what paint are you using?

Jason
Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Yank II

WARBIRDRCER
I am thinking of building one electric. What did your weigh?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Jim, Not sure of the weight yet, but I am putting 2 DLE-20's on this one. Also it is covered in Stewart Systems light fabric and I am painting with latex. This would put more weight on it than say Monokote or Centery fabric. I will let you know when complete.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Although you can not tell by the photos, the interior is now painted too and the final coat on the controls.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

My T-50 (Songbird) weighs 32 pounds and is powered by G-26's. Seems adequately powered, but I fly at 6,000 ASL.
M
Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Happy New Year everyone! I hope this begins another fun filled building and flying season.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM
crknispel
My Feedback: (13)

warbirder its Charles found the gentleman with t 50 kit after speaking with him ill probably drive the 220 miles and pick it up maybe start build in may im not very good on the computer but will try to keep the forum going I haven't built anything in about 8 years this forum and the people sharing there craftsmanship has helped me to try this upcoming project
Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 PM
dauntlessuk

Good news! A new build about to start. Goodluck and keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Murphey

Welcome to the Bobcat Thread! Good luck on the build. We are all happy to help...well, except to drive the 220 miles! Keep us posted with your progress! It will be a challenging build, but in my opinion, rewarding!
M
Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Originally Posted by crknispel
warbirder its Charles found the gentleman with t 50 kit after speaking with him ill probably drive the 220 miles and pick it up maybe start build in may im not very good on the computer but will try to keep the forum going I haven't built anything in about 8 years this forum and the people sharing there craftsmanship has helped me to try this upcoming project
Great News Charles! This is one nice looking bird and I too will be looking forward to seeing your project progress. I have spent some time on mine, but not enough to show. Keep us updated on your travels.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:18 PM
crknispel

thanks gents will keep you posted I have 2 Zenoah g 23 with mag ignition I guess the biggest question is 1 piece wing or what I saw was three piece also ive never had a plane with retracts any suggestions
Old 02-01-2014, 05:52 PM
WARBIRDRCER

You could build the plane with removable outboard wing sections, but you will need to engineer the change because the plans show one piece. I have an extended van and a trailer, so one piece is fine, although I have others that travel much easier on the mains and all I have to do is plug in the ailerons and secure the wing panels which make assembly very easy. On my T-50 I plan to use two receivers. One will control the ailerons, throttles, and the landing gear when added later. The other receiver will control the elevator and rudder. Both will have separate RX batteries too.

The landing gear for this plane is built well,so if you take the time to add strength to the structure where the gear rails attach you won’t have any problems. I put my landing gears on a switch on the top left of the transmitter where switch up is gear up, and switch down is gear down, and this allows me to keep my right hand steady on the elevator and ailerons at all times. A lot of people, including myself some time will select gear down and make a pass down the runway at pattern altitude for a gear down and locked checked, and others, like me again some times will select gear down at mid field on the downwind, both at a reduced power setting of course.

Hope this helps, but you will find what works best for you as time passes.

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 02-01-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Murphey

The easiest one first...and my opinion...I would have the gear converted to electric by Down and Locked. This gear is set up so it is air up and air down so if there is an air leak...no gear. There are all sorts of safety features built in to the electronics as well. Again, just my opinion.��

As to the wing, the biggest...repeat biggest regret that I have is that I didn't do a 3 piece wing. When I load up the plane in my SUV, the wing goes the entire length of the interior and because both engines landing gear, ignition batteries are in the wing it is heavy and difficult to get into the SUV. My wing weighs 25 pounds and the fuselage weighs 7 pounds. Yes there is additional engineering to do, but Rich here on this thread has done it and I'll bet you could talk him into a few clues.
I think you will find this build both challenging and rewarding. So don't hesitate in asking for help or advice.

Have fun!
M
Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Agreed on the wing topic, but I have no history with electronic gears.

Wow, this one piece wing in an SUV. That is a lot of work. It is a major effort just to move this wing around in a shop due to the weight and size. Murphy you are the master for being able to pull that one off.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 PM
crknispel

im going out on the limb to build the plane the fields that ive flown on is grass so have never used retracts when I first thought of building this plane I was going to not add cockpit detail or retracts the kit im buying has retracts and cockpit kit but no fiberglass cowls or nose or tail or canopy it would be nice to find the cowls the nose should not be difficuilt to carve or tail precision kit cutters only offer canopy nose and tail piece any suggestions where to find the cowls
Old 02-02-2014, 03:05 PM
WARBIRDRCER

e-bay and RC Groups, etc.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Okay, Fiberglass Specialties sells cowls for custom builds. Please see this list:
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Once the snow clears I will measure mine for you.

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 02-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 PM
crknispel

I called precision kit cutters in new jersey they bought the rights and distribute dons plans and parts they also provide kits turns out that they do provide the canopy nose cone tail cone and cowls the phone number is 609 538 1388 very nice and helpful they also are on internet and do numerous plans and kits by a large number of designer builders its worth a look see I also am serious thinking of the three piece wing and not really crazy about retracts I just want to build large twin to fly last plane I built 80 plus inch platt t 28 glassed and detailed still sits because after the build I am afraid to fly after seeing a corsair with the same amount of detail go in expert builder and flyer from what I saw it wasn't pilot error but it seemed as if interference he had control then lost it then got it back then lost it he was sweating bullets to bring her in then the engine went full speed and plane just noised over and it was over he was so careful first running engine range testing maybe il use the kit and cut another as I go along then if I get the urge to build hanger queen again I will warbirder why the splitting up of receiver and control surfaces less load on battery and receiver im always on a learning curve
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM
WARBIRDRCER

crknispel, My reason for the two receivers is to cut down on hooking leads up to put the wing on. With one in the fuslage and one in the wing, there is no need to ever unhook any wires. I have one plane with retracts, and all the landing gear equipment is mounted in the wing so there are no air lines to mess with either. Just add the wing and it is together. I normally use 2 mid-size air tanks and T them together to on air filler valve.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 PM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

anybody heard from Rich ? I haven't seen him here since last July. Is he still with us? Did he finish his T-50 ?

Joel
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Murphey

Rich is still around...I spoke to him last week and he's doing fine but busy. I'll be talking to him next week and suggest he check in! Don't think his Bobcat is finished.
M
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 AM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Murphey,

thanks for the reply. I'm just gald to hear he's still with us. he was so prolific there for awhile then the radar screen went blank. i was just concerned. I know how "busy" can take you away form this hobby for periods at a time.

I'm it's winter in CO but have you been able to get much time in with your T-50 ? I noticed you said your baby was weighting in around 32 lbs (25+7). Is pretty stable at that weight? What would you compare it's flight characteristics to ?

Thanks
Joel
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM
crknispel

well here goes I was going to travel 220 miles to pick up plans kit weather has been terrible and am waiting to find out final price with shipping I think I will try 3 piece wing anybody have any suggestions also for time being thing of leaving retract gear in lock down cant wait to start sometimes just thinking about building and getting thru some difficult parts of building helped getting thru some tough days will keep updating as I go along
Old 02-19-2014, 01:42 AM
dauntlessuk

crknispel, The 3-piece wing option was covered in detail earlier in this thread. I too am contemplating this, but will take the option of making the joint at the point the ailerons and flaps meet. Another option, (as used by the French modeller Bruno Henry who designed his own plan to the same scale as the Don Smith version) was to make a 2 piece wing that joined on the centreline under the fuselage. In some ways this is easier, with only one joint. However, it means the wing panels are 50" long and each "half" has one engine and one wheel / retract unit on it. This may be more structurally challenging to make sure everything rigidly lines up properly. Although, with 2 large diameter carbon tube wing joiners there is no reason it wouldn't work fine. There are some details earlier in the thread for Bruno's model too.
Hope your "kit" arrives soon so you can make a start on it.
David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.