Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Old Hanger 9 Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
pipercub4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Hanger 9 Cub?

What are the differences and similarities between this original 1/4 Hanger 9 Cub (HAN1550) and the new 1/4 Cub (HAN4550)? I own the old one and was just wondering.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN1550

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Old Hanger 9 Cub?

ORIGINAL: pipercub4

What are the differences and similarities between this original 1/4 Hanger 9 Cub (HAN1550) and the new 1/4 Cub (HAN4550)? I own the old one and was just wondering.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN1550

Thanks!
Not trying to be a smart ***** with this response but they are completely different airplanes. They are both CUBs but the structure is completely different. Kinda like comparing a Balsa USA CUB to a SIG CUB. The new Hanger 9 CUB has laser cut parts where the older versions had die smashed and saw cut parts. The newer CUB is slightly larger and is much nicer overall though the old one flew very well. About the only thing similar is that they're both yellow.

I've been flying the 100" version for many years now. Started out with a Saito 180 for power, now has a DLE30 in it.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
pipercub4

Any recommendations? I am going to fly it for the first time this week.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: pipercub4

Any recommendations? I am going to fly it for the first time this week.
Not sure of your experience level ... First off, it is a CUB so it flies pretty easy. Can fly anywhere from mild to wild depending on what you want to do with it. About the only thing tricky with a CUB might be ground handling on take off. Just stay ahead of it with rudder as needed to keep it straight. If you have not already done so, I'd recomment flying wires on the tail surfaces. They dance around quite a bit without them.

I really enjoy the DLE-30 on mine. Can putt around scale like just above idle and never leave the runway area or push the throttle up and go up as far as you care to for inverted flat spins, etc. Also does great knive edge loops, etc.

Ya just gotta love a CUB. I have a whole stable of planes from 1/2As on up through 100cc giants but a CUB in any flavor continues to be an all time favorite.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
pipercub4

Nice! Thanks for the info! I have flown other large scale aircraft before, but when it was time to choose one I just had to go with the classic cub. How much room does it need to tale off? My club's runway is about 60 yards.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Truckracer

What engine do you have in your CUB? With something like a 4 stroke 120, your CUB would have better than scale like performance and takeoff distance would be well under 100 feet. With something like my DLE30, it takes off pretty much in its own length! CUBS have big wings with lots of lift so if they're moving at all and there is any breeze blowing, they're pretty much flying. In a full scale CUB, they say you pretty much fly the thing from the point you untie it until it is tied down again. That might be a bit of a stretch on the truth but if the wind is blowing, it quickly becomes true.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
pipercub4

I have a saitio 1.50 four stroke. Plenty of power. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Truckracer

You'll enjoy that combination.