Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Giant servo question

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant servo question

Hello As I mentioned on another string in the engine section I'm rebuilding a 1/4 Bud Nosen Citabria that I bought off a friend. The radio had been taken out 3 or 4 owners ago and the plane passed along. I'm at the point where I'm about to put the new radio in. There are control rods already in it with a pull push for the rudder and a single rod splitting into two at the rear for each side of the elevator. My intention was to set it up with only one servo for the elevator and one for the rudder. Since there isn't going to be redundancy and it's a fairly big plane I bought a pair of Scanner RC SSV-9960MG servos.

http://www.scanner-rc.com/specification/SSV-9960MG.pdf

These things are brutes....at least in weight and size. Maybe they are over kill for this plane but I have them now so I would like to use them. My problem now is I didn't anticipate how thick the arms are on these. They are just short of 1/4 inch thick. My question is when working with servos this big what does everyone use to attach the control rods? I currently have the threaded brass ends on my control rods. I've used many different types of connectors on my small servos but nothing I currently have is big enough for these. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Default RE: Giant servo question

Sounds like it was already set up with one servo for the rudder and one for the elevators. Hitec HS-645MG servos would probably been more than enough for a Citabria. They have standard sized servo arms and give 107 oz.in. &7.7hg.cm) at 4.8v and 133 oz.in (9.6 kg.cm) at 6v. They don't cost much more than regular servos.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: douglas racer

My question is when working with servos this big what does everyone use to attach the control rods?
Ball links bolted to control arms. 4-40 hardware is fairly standard. Something like this ....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRG7&P=7
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM

It was set up for single servos on each control. I just wanted to make sure I had big enough servos and I now realize I over did it. Well they won't be straining. Those brass ball links look ideal. That's probably what I'll go with. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont u Z-bend the end of your control rod using a wire bender... It is a proven detail and vvvvvvery simple.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Right now they all have threaded brass ends on them so ideally I was looking for something to thread on. Those ball links seem to be the only thing that will thread on and still fit the thinkness of the control arm.