Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

What kind of weight/lead do you use to CG balance big planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

What kind of weight/lead do you use to CG balance big planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What kind of weight/lead do you use to CG balance big planes?

I've used "construction" epoxy and "laminating" epoxy to mix with lead shot.

As long as it sets hard and sticks where you pour it, I would say it doesn't matter.

Don
Old 01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What kind of weight/lead do you use to CG balance big planes?

Lead is not particurarly hazardious. Just use some common sense. Do not play a torch directly on the metal and purposly inhale the fumes. Wash your hands after handling and before you eat. Lead metal itself is not readily absorbable. Lead oxide in and acidic medium is, if you eat it. Do not do that! I have cast hundreds of thousands of bullets and regurarly shoot on an indoor range yet my lead level in my blood is not above normal baseline. The whole lead demon-ification is political IMHO. The lead police have been reducing the permissible levels to maintian a buerocracy, it had little to do with science.

Any-whoo, melt whatever lead alloy you have in a steel container. Flux it with wax. Make the mould you want out of wood, like sticks and CA on a board. Wood will work once or twice. If you want line your mould with aluminum foil. Pour the molten lead into the mould and wa-la. You have the shape you need. Drill some holes in it and screw and glue it where you want it. When drilling or sawing lead you will need some lube.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:30 PM
rclbsimmo
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lead weight for duck decoys, where?

Where do you get weights for duck decoys?
Lee

Originally Posted by Scota4570
Lead is not particurarly hazardious. Just use some common sense. Do not play a torch directly on the metal and purposly inhale the fumes. Wash your hands after handling and before you eat. Lead metal itself is not readily absorbable. Lead oxide in and acidic medium is, if you eat it. Do not do that! I have cast hundreds of thousands of bullets and regurarly shoot on an indoor range yet my lead level in my blood is not above normal baseline. The whole lead demon-ification is political IMHO. The lead police have been reducing the permissible levels to maintian a buerocracy, it had little to do with science.

Any-whoo, melt whatever lead alloy you have in a steel container. Flux it with wax. Make the mould you want out of wood, like sticks and CA on a board. Wood will work once or twice. If you want line your mould with aluminum foil. Pour the molten lead into the mould and wa-la. You have the shape you need. Drill some holes in it and screw and glue it where you want it. When drilling or sawing lead you will need some lube.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:22 PM
Phantom Phixer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beavis:

not sure the exact layout of the motor / firewall is on your plane, BUT, I just assembled a 34% Krill and it was tail heavy.... no surprise there as commented in a number of build threads...... the suggested motor is MVVS and it heavier that my DA

I needed 5/8" spacer for the DA 120 to place the spinner where I wanted it....... I looked on Mc Master Carr for 5/8 aluminum and they had a 6 x 6 blank..... and I cut it to size, drill it for the bolt pattern of the DA and used the Vanessa balance to fine tune from there

point is if you need weight, don't be afraid to use a plate of steel or aluminum on the firewall if you have need of a spacer instead of those stubby little standoffs that are commonly use by many modelers. Its clean and less problematic due to the surface area
Old 06-17-2020, 07:01 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I refuse to add dead weight to an airplane, higher wing loading, higher weight to power loading, everything is just wrong about it.That said, do everything in your power during a build to keep from adding weight, including removing overweight structure from the CG aft, lengthening the nose, or moving a wing aft, nothing to dramatic to ruin the looks of a particular aircraft but enough to get the job done. Unfortunately there is not allot you can do when the designer of an all composite airframe goofs the CG, I would sell the airplane, but that just me.

Bob