Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Batteries for Giant Scale Receivers

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Batteries for Giant Scale Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 AM
skyarrow1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries for Giant Scale Receivers

I am getting into Giant scale and have a few planes that i am getting ready to fly. They all need receiver batteries. I know I need larger batteries that I would for my 46/60 nitro planes, but not sure what to get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if there is a formula to figure out battery size.

Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Batteries for Giant Scale Receivers

You will get many replys, I would go with A123 Batteries; 2300mah for the RX and 1100mah for the Ignition; alternately, 2300mah for both RX & Ignition, some claim they only use a single 2300mah to run the RX & Ignition; I have also heard that A123 Batteries now come in a larger mah size, not sure what that would be.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
skillet92

I use hobbyking nano tech lifes and they work great. They have 2100mah and 3000mah for reciever packs. I also still use an old trusty for ignition, 4.8 nimh 2000mah.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

Real A123 batteries on my giant scale stuff, they don't come in 2000mah (sorry), but 2300 and now 2500mah.

They charge faster, can sustain discharge faster (though its debatable if the difference matters for our use) than knock off Life batteries.

Some ignitions dont like the voltage but places sell voltage drop diodes for that issue.

All my 50cc planes use 1 2500 A123 split to the ingition and reciever, and a diode on the ignition line. www.wrongwayrc.com is where I get my stuff, TailDraggerRC sells genuine A123 cells as well as other vendors
Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM
skyarrow1

Thanks for all the info... I am doing some reading now on the A123 batteries and figuring out what I might need to change.

One other question. I have a 4 station charger, the problem is the leads are not long enough to multiple planes. How do you change multiple planes are the same time?

Thanks again...
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Scota4570

hangtime hobbies website will answer your questions.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Plus 1 on the HK LIFE batteries. Zero issues in 5 years.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM
RT Racers

If you want to use longer leads for charging batteries on chargers such as a 4 port charger, what I have done that works out very well is to splice some 16 ga speaker wire in the middle of the charge leads. One end has the red and black banna plugs which I attach to the end of the speaker wires (you can use the kind that holds the wire in place with a set screw, or the solder on type), then I measure off how much length I need ( i have use lengths up to 10-12 feet), then solder on a 12" HD servo extension lead and cover the solder joints with shrink tube material. works very well and I have used 4 of these at one time to sharge 4 separate batteries quit frequnetly. I hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Scota4570

You have many choices, none are vastly superior and each will work.

IMHO go with dual A123 (LIFE) with dual charge jack switches, each into a different port on the RX. You can use whatever MAH suits you. 1100 or 2500. See "hangtime hobbies" for lots of information, it is all spelled out there. Spend some time reading the information it will answer all of your questions. Great site.

Ignition batteries are obsolete. Use a BEC.

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...-shipping.html

It is a great feature to be able to arm and disarm the ignition from the TX. There is a red LED to tell you when the ignition is hot.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Plus 1 on the HK LIFE batteries. Zero issues in 5 years.
Yup same here.

On my Giant Scale planes I usually go with batteries over 3200mAh capacities.

Those LiFe packs fare well with a 5C charge rate, so if you forget to charge for the day you can do it at the field somewhat quickly.

Usually I charge at no more than 2C though.