Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

QQ yak 54 85" landing gear fix.... You might say I'm crazy but...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

QQ yak 54 85" landing gear fix.... You might say I'm crazy but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Bmx2996
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QQ yak 54 85" landing gear fix.... You might say I'm crazy but...

I recently flew my first giant scale QQ 85" with a Jc 23cc engine..... Alright I know it is rated for a 50cc but I gave it a try and this thing has pull! When I bought it, it came with the engine already installed. The guy said it flew just fine with the 23cc in it. Sooo.... Thinking that I was gonna just throw in a 50cc I went ahead and gave it a shot with the 23cc. It pulled like a horse and put bruises on my calves from standing in front of the tail feathers while I tested it out. That being said, what is your input on that? I haven't tried any 3d maneuvers yet so I'm unsure if it will do it.... Ok so when I maiden flight it, the left landing gear came loose and was dangling in flight.... Shoot..... So I brought it in for a nice and slow landing and it ripped the gear away and slid 5 ft. I looked over every possible way to secure the gear but one of the aluminum studs ripped out of the frame. .. So this is what I came up with, I cut a peice of red hare wood and secured both legs of gear to it using self threading blind nuts... Worked good and they are both secured firmly with bolts. Next, since I have one aluminum brace for the left side of the gear, I bolted the gear down as tight as I could to it. It was pretty sturdy on the plane but I wantedto reassure tthis so I put a nice load of lock tight to ensure a nice tight seal so it wouldn't come off again. After I did that I decided to use gorilla glue, 30min epoxy, and jbweld to secure the other side. I pretty much put it anywhere I could with any kind of support cut out that would fit. I let it sit for two days and put some markings in top of the bolts to use as a reference increase one of the camera loose. I looked at the plane this morning and it's pretty secure. I sat the plane on the gear and pushed some weighed in numerous places listening for any crackling and didn't hear any kind of stress cracking. Well, I wonder if anyone has had this problem with any of the QQ yak54 85 " planes?
Anyhow, I thought I would share my rigged fix of this problem without tearing the plane apart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130818_192243.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1910489