Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Design help with Fokker D 23

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Design help with Fokker D 23

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
BadDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design help with Fokker D 23

Hey folks. I really want to build a Fokker D23. I'm pretty sure I have an answer for about 90% the build questions, But I can't figure out an efficient way to cool the pusher engine. I could make some very complex ducting from the belly air scoop to the aft side vents (that would be a bear of a job) or I could make a second aft cowl with a non-scale opening for flying and a scale cowl for static display (but that sounds rinky-dink). I don't want any of the engines or RC gear to be visible. Here's a couple of pics. Any one have any ideas? Engine suggestions that are easier to cool?
d23_colourscheme-gif.13967
LYRsDQe.jpg

Thanks

mark
Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
STUKA BARRY

I've never seen of this aircraft before, but after studying a couple pics of it, it looks like there are airscoops behind the canopy. I don't know what scale you are designing, but the simplest solution would be to make the rear propulsion electric and mount the ESC next to one side scoop and duct the electric motor to the other scoop. What are you going to do about retracts?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
BadDawg

I hadn't thought of using electrics. Bonus points for thinking out of the box, Barry. A friend suggested I just put a big honking engine on the front and just put a free swinging prop on the back. That's just giving up. Can't do that. And I have been dreaming about the sound of both engines banging away (the sound of a twin is special) and the electric motor doesn't bang either. I'm thinking about 1/5th scale so it will be about a 90" WS. On the retracts; I've used spring air and electric retracts but only on 60 size and smaller planes. I've got some home work to do for them.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:24 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this won't be of much help in keeping it scale, but you could leave the "glass" out of the cockpit, and have the air pass thru.