Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Ignition Switch / Choke Servo Mixed to same Switch. Bad idea?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Ignition Switch / Choke Servo Mixed to same Switch. Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
CafeenMan, going back to your original post, I don't see a darn thing wrong with it.

BTW, I choke with ign. on, until it pops once or twice, then flip it off as well. MANY others do the same thing. Don't think twice of it. Not sure I'd ever do the choke with my radio, but darn sure not going to try and convince somebody else they should not? It's your call!

Bunch of old guys/experience around here. Been doing stuff "their way" for a long time. Doing something differently sometimes makes them crazy. Like you've demonstrated well in this post, when you run across something different, you listen and ask questions. Sometimes you learn something new! If you care for the logic, fine, otherwise....
I hope I didn't leave the impression that I was against the proposed switch setup. I simply stated what I have done in the past and why I did it just to point out some issues the OP may not have considered.

As far as being an old guy, well I guess I qualify now. It doesn't seem like very many years ago when I was the young, new guy and believe me when I tell you those years pass quickly and one day you wonder where along the line young became old(er)!

As far as using choke servos, most of my planes just use a mechanical linkage. But in some cases when the carb is especially buried or mechanical linkage just isn't practical, I use a servo activated choke. Sometimes its just way easier to install a servo than it is to figure out how to install a mechanical linkage. Each installation is its own special case.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

LOL I knew that was coming sooner than later.

Futaba wrote that in 1937 when they were selling AM radios that you had to solder the tubes into before you could use them
Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
LOL I knew that was coming sooner than later.

Futaba wrote that in 1937 when they were selling AM radios that you had to solder the tubes into before you could use them
I agree, I have been mounting throttle servos on the bottom of engine boxes for years and using the turnbuckle push rods and ball links. Being that the smallest gasser I have ever owned was 50cc the distance between ignition module and RX is not an issue. In the 15+ years I have been around gassers I have seen dozens of setups, they all worked to the owners expectations or they got changed.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I agree, I have been mounting throttle servos on the bottom of engine boxes for years and using the turnbuckle push rods and ball links. Being that the smallest gasser I have ever owned was 50cc the distance between ignition module and RX is not an issue. In the 15+ years I have been around gassers I have seen dozens of setups, they all worked to the owners expectations or they got changed.
With modern radios and ignitions, about the only time you see ignition interference is when a plug cap is not pushed on far enough or if the shielding is severely worn on a plug lead. In extreme cases, it won't matter whether the radio to ignition separation is 3" or 3', there will probably be a problem.

I respect Dan's strong feelings regarding radio to ignition separation but don't feel it is a real issue these days. With even minimal maintenance, any potential for a problem should be reduced to almost zero.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Truckracer, I should have writtten that a little differently - to include myself as one of those "old guys". And should have just mentioned something about just keeping an open mind - something most of the guys here still do? Didn't mean to offend at all! -Al
Old 05-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Truckracer

Truckracer, I should have writtten that a little differently - to include myself as one of those "old guys". And should have just mentioned something about just keeping an open mind - something most of the guys here still do? Didn't mean to offend at all! -Al
I knew what you meant!

Writing in these forums is difficult at best because without the face to face contact you would have in a conversation, many times people understand things completely different than what we mean to say. My normal writing style is very brief and to the point but I find that almost impossible on forums as so many people just don't have the experience to fill in the blanks. So .... things tend to get a bit wordy and repetitive with the hope that the ideas get across. Alll in all, the system works but it can have its moments as I'm sure you have experienced.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:51 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I knew what you meant!

Writing in these forums is difficult at best because without the face to face contact you would have in a conversation, many times people understand things completely different than what we mean to say. My normal writing style is very brief and to the point but I find that almost impossible on forums as so many people just don't have the experience to fill in the blanks. So .... things tend to get a bit wordy and repetitive with the hope that the ideas get across. Alll in all, the system works but it can have its moments as I'm sure you have experienced.
Gaps? What gaps? Wood filler or bondo type gaps? Blanks, paper blanks, casting blanks? Man I am lost! Anyone here speak English, or, uh, is it I don't?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob - OK, but I've already got one so unless it shows problems I'm going to use it. I'll look into smart-fly switches on future projects. The fuselage for the Checkmate is a cavern and the leads on the switch are plenty long. There shouldn't be any problem keeping it away from everything else.

Last edited by CafeenMan; 05-23-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truckracer, I should have writtten that a little differently - to include myself as one of those "old guys". And should have just mentioned something about
just keeping an open mind - something most of the guys here still do? Didn't mean to offend at all! -Al
Al - you know that I am "old" also, and thought you meant me, anyway....I've been known to be sort of a crotchety stick-in-the-mud curmudgeon who's been in a bad mood for 20 years or so. But I do still like to learn new "good" stuff....as my budget doesn't readily permit learning (or re-learning) "bad" stuff. But it's all good....
Old 05-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
I've been known to be sort of a crotchety stick-in-the-mud curmudgeon who's been in a bad mood for 20 years or so. But it's all good....
Add hermit to the above description and you pretty much described me! Well on some days anyway.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:36 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that your set up is totally viable. I cannot think of a drawback really. Interesting, I was thinking exactly about the standardized switch set ups, while reading this thread, before it was posted. I have one plane that utilizes a retract switch differently than another plane, and it has caught me off guard. We are creatures of habit.

I seem to recall someone talking about using the servo controlled choke, as their kill switch. This was with a mag engine I believe. He claimed that it pre-primed the engine, making it start easier for the next flight. I have noticed some times I have to re-choke when I fly again.

This thread is somewhat timely for me, as I have just installed my first servo for my choke control. The reason why? Well, normally I run a cable to the choke, and I have access to it from a side hatch/panel on my plane. Well, for some reason on this new engine, a DLE 55, to open the choke, I had to pull the cable out. To close the choke I had to push it in. Well, this is opposite of my other engines. If I have to have my cable pulled out for the engine to run, I could not close my hatch! So something on the DLE 55 is oriented differently than my DL 50 and DLE 20. My solution was to just put a servo on it. So far, I really like it. Kinda nice to have it all in the radio.

With all of that said though, I plan to keep my ignition kill on a different switch from my choke. In the pic, you can see I put the digital tach in there as well. Kinda cool. Also the unpainted hole where the choke cable was originally. Still needing to be painted over.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Get stencils Fokker 005.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	795.4 KB
ID:	1997734