Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

A little intimidated by Ziroli

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

A little intimidated by Ziroli

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little intimidated by Ziroli

I'm hoping to make the jump from 60 size to giant scale as early as my next build. It will be a Spitfire and although I like building from kits, I don't think the Meister Scale "fun scale" is for me. From what I've read it seems the Ziroli 100" is the best fit, but to be honest no manual and no building pics raises caution - there's a lot of $$$ involved here.

So, just how much do you need to know to build a Ziroli? Just do it and use RC Universe as a resource?

My building expeirence is a couple of BUSA and three Top Flite kits, and every Guillows kit ever made… It’s either a giant scale Spitfire or stick with the kits I have in house and build a Royal B-17 or Jack Stafford B-24. I’d prefer to stick with single engine, maybe sell the kits to raise cash.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've built a couple BUSA kits, you probably possess the skills to build the Ziroli. You will have to rely on your experience, your ability to interpret the plans, and to reason out solutions to any omissions on the plans.

It will definitely be a difference experience from your Top Flite kits, where the instructions hold your hand through the building process.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Scratchie, I agree completely with Tom's comments. It sounds like you have enough building experience to tackle the Ziroli, especially if you've built all those Guillows kits. Guillows kits are not an easy task to complete. I don't know if you will be building from scratch or if you will be using one of the "cut" kits but either way, I think you will enjoy the experience. I have never seen a Ziroli plane that did not fly well. I am currently refurbishing a well worn, much used and loved Ziroli Skyraider.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Scratchie

I would definitely have a kit cutter do the formers and ribs, at least I know that much about my skills! I bought a set of Ziroli Beechcraft plans super cheap from eBay and will be studying those. I've decided that before making any purchases I'll buy the Spitfire plans and study those before committing to the build. I still have a hard time with the cost of the servos and retracts but I guess that's what it costs...

Why hardly any Ziroli Spitfire build threads - Is there something I don't know about the Spitfire? I'm currently building the Top Flite kit as a practice run, hope to fly it the middle of this summer.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Truckracer

The Spitfire is always a problem build regardless of who's design it is. Curves everywhere and a skinny nose that makes engine installation a bit of a problem. It also has rather small tail surfaces and a narrow spaced landing gear. Not the easiest subject to build or fly. If I had to recommend one of the Ziroli planes, it would be any of the US Navy designs. With few exceptions they have wide spaced gear and large tail surfaces along with ample wing area. Most are a joy to fly. The P-40 also flies very well though it also has the rather narrow landing gear. The Skyraider is also high on the list but I'm biased! I find the only drawback to the Skyraider is its extremely long fuselage which can cause transportation problems for some people. I do like the 3 piece wing so it can stand on its own legs when being hauled. I don't want to discourage you from building the Spit. but there are easier planes to live with long term.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Scratchie

That's why I thought I'd build and fly the Top Flite first. I realize it's not scale by any means, but it should count for something. I know about the narrow wheel base (and nose overs), I think that I just need practice. The Ziroli will take a while to build.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:00 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
The Spitfire is always a problem build regardless of who's design it is. Curves everywhere and a skinny nose that makes engine installation a bit of a problem. It also has rather small tail surfaces and a narrow spaced landing gear. Not the easiest subject to build or fly. If I had to recommend one of the Ziroli planes, it would be any of the US Navy designs. With few exceptions they have wide spaced gear and large tail surfaces along with ample wing area. Most are a joy to fly. The P-40 also flies very well though it also has the rather narrow landing gear. The Skyraider is also high on the list but I'm biased! I find the only drawback to the Skyraider is its extremely long fuselage which can cause transportation problems for some people. I do like the 3 piece wing so it can stand on its own legs when being hauled. I don't want to discourage you from building the Spit. but there are easier planes to live with long term.
I have to disagree with this and I'd think Nick himself would back me up and that is the Ziroli designed Stuka is by far the easiest to fly of all Nick's designs. With its wide gear stance, large effective rudder, no retracts, and an exact fit for the ever popular Zenoah G-62, you cant beat it. Disregard that its an Axis aircraft (if your not into those kind of planes), its not difficult to build either, but once you've built a Ziroli design, the rest are very similar, building off a crutch design, really makes pieces fall into place. You wont have much trouble at all, especially after conquering a Gillows kit. Good-luck and never hesitate to ask questions.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Scratchie

Although I do like German designs, especially the ME 109 and 262, I'll be staying with the Allies on this one. btw, a Guillow ME 109 was the best flying plane I ever had (until I put ski's on it for winter...).

I think that if I want to go Giant I'll just have to go for it.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by STUKA BARRY
I have to disagree with this and I'd think Nick himself would back me up and that is the Ziroli designed Stuka is by far the easiest to fly of all Nick's designs. With its wide gear stance, large effective rudder, no retracts, and an exact fit for the ever popular Zenoah G-62, you cant beat it. Disregard that its an Axis aircraft (if your not into those kind of planes), its not difficult to build either, but once you've built a Ziroli design, the rest are very similar, building off a crutch design, really makes pieces fall into place. You wont have much trouble at all, especially after conquering a Gillows kit. Good-luck and never hesitate to ask questions.
Stuka Barry, I didn't mean to belittle the Stuka in any way, I just didn't think to mention it. I did mention that in general, all of the Ziroli designs fly well. Like any airplane though, some are better than others both to build and to fly. Other than that I don't think I gave incorrect information and I certainly didn't mean to step on any toes.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

While I will agree with Truckracer that the Spitfire is not the easiest subject to build I have to part ways with him when it comes to flyng the Spit. At least in larger scales. I have had several 1/5 scale Spitfires and they were all very well behaved, even on the ground. While the gear is narrow it is also very short. I believe the reduced angle of attack in the 3-point attitude caused by the relatively short gear helps tremendously when dealing with P-factor. My personal experience has been that airplanes with long gear legs, such as the Mustang, are worse on the ground than the Spitfire is. The somewhat smallish nature of the tail surfaces are generally accounted for with a slightly more forward CoG and it was never an issue on any Spitfire I have flown. From all accounts I've read the Ziroli airplane is an even better flyer due to the larger size. My .02 cents of course.

PS - I think that your resume more than qualifies you for a Ziroli design. His methods are pretty well standard and I doubt you will come across much that you have not experienced before. There is also a plethora of good information and willing helpers to be found here and also at RC Scale Builder.

Last edited by Chad Veich; 02-27-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:54 AM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Stuka Barry, I didn't mean to belittle the Stuka in any way, I just didn't think to mention it. I did mention that in general, all of the Ziroli designs fly well. Like any airplane though, some are better than others both to build and to fly. Other than that I don't think I gave incorrect information and I certainly didn't mean to step on any toes.
No toes were stepped on, just making a suggestion to the OP about great ground handing and flying characteristics of the Stuka, especially with no retracts to mess with, but again a lot of modelers aren't at all interested in Axis aircraft, to a certain point, I understand. There was no incorrect information given, as all Ziroli designs build and fly well.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Scratchie

Thanks guys, I'll be back to this forum after finishing and flying my 60 size spitfire.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...56&KW=Spitfire
Old 02-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on rcscalebuilder for a dedicated site for specific builds in detail
Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Scratchie

I've read that a lot of builders have moved over there...
Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

builders have.......
Old 03-01-2015, 10:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratchie
I've read that a lot of builders have moved over there...
A lot of builders have moved away, too.