Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Super Stearman DLE 20RA

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Super Stearman DLE 20RA

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:17 PM
427jimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Stearman DLE 20RA

Anyone have a GP Super Stearman with a DLE 20RA? I'm building one right now and would appreciate any suggestions on engine installation. Throttle and choke linkages. Throttle servo location.

I changed all the control horns to fiberglas units with ball links. Nothing on the top of any of the control surfaces now, looks pretty nice. Wasn't too much trouble once I got the angles figured out on the first one!!

All the red arrows were backwards on the N struts AND the cabanes. That took a little while to figure out. Finally got them where they belong. 0 incidence on the horizontal stab and bottom wing -1 on the top wing.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:33 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The RA is a little more difficult to set up as the muffler is in the way with linkage access, the muffler is hard to keep on tight with stock bolts, etc. I have one, but it likely will be the only one I purchase. It's biggest advantage is in in-line engine design aircraft because it minimizes cowl cutting to clear the muffler.

The Stearman has a huge cowl and plenty of room for the side-exhaust version. I would strongly recommend it over the RA. I have built the Stearman and the PT-17 versions of this great Planes ARF and the side-exhaust version remains my first choice. If you want non-scale performance, go with the DLE 30cc.

One other point: The RA develops it's max power at a 1,000 rpm higher than the side-exhaust version, but they have the SAME max horsepower. You can run a bigger prop, like a 17 or 18x6 on the side-exhaust version, make less noise, sound better and fly more realistically.

Best regards.

Last edited by Lifer; 03-31-2015 at 06:32 AM.