Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Giant Telemaster ARF as UAV platform?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Giant Telemaster ARF as UAV platform?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:05 PM
grantwp3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Telemaster ARF as UAV platform?

I'm looking for a large payload, slow-flying platform to convert to a UAV, and the Giant 12" Telemaster ARF from Hobby King looks very promising: http://www.hobbyexpress.com/12_foot_telemaster_arf.htm

If anyone has advice on why this plane would or would not be a good UAV platform, please let me know! Also, if you have other platform suggestions in a similar price class, that info would also be welcome.

I would ideally prefer a pusher prop and a modular payload bay of some kind, but I can't find anything that does that at reasonable cost while maintaining something close to 12' wingspan.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:57 AM
oliveDrab

How about a SIG Rascal 110 (9' 2") or a SIG Rascal 168 (14' wingspan)? One of the large Telemasters had problems with the wing folding and breaking in two in flight. The SIG Rascal's can be bought for approximately $800 - $900. But of course there's shipping costs which are pricey.

The SIG Rascal 110 has struts on the underside of the wing. Looking at photo's of the SIG Rascal 168 ... I do not see struts.

I have a SIG Rascal 110 ARF ... it's a huge, easy to fly airplane with no bad habits. Mine is electric - has an EFlite Power 160 motor running on 10S Lipos.

Here's a link to a thread about the Senior Telemaster wing: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cras...g-failure.html

Bruce Tharpe makes the Flyin' King and the Super Flyin' King(132" wingspan).

Check out btemodels.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sfk_2_big.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2192114   Click image for larger version

Name:	gutgroup01shadow.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2192249  

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-04-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 AM
jetmech05

Don't post like these make you wonder? It's his first post. There is no location. And he wonders about a large payload. Hmmmmmmm
Old 12-11-2016, 06:35 AM
grantwp3

I'm in Madison, Wisconsin. I'm an atmospheric researcher, and I'm exploring inexpensive ways (relative to the alternatives) to carry meteorological instrumentation.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by grantwp3
I'm in Madison, Wisconsin. I'm an atmospheric researcher, and I'm exploring inexpensive ways (relative to the alternatives) to carry meteorological instrumentation.
Did you check out btemodels.com? NASA has used planes built by Bruce Tharpe for purposes such as yours.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM
grantwp3

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
Did you check out btemodels.com? NASA has used planes built by Bruce Tharpe for purposes such as yours.
Thanks - haven't yet, but I saw the link and am definitely intrigued and will look into it. I'm also looking hard at the Mugin and Hugin airframes sold by fpvmodel.com, in case anyone has any opinions about those.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:25 PM
grantwp3

Just checked out the Super Flyin' King, and it seems like a great fit to what I'm looking for. I see that it's currently out of stock, and I don't know how long it might take to be available again. Also, I'm wondering whether it might be worthwhile to build just the wing from the SFK and then adapt it to a different fuselage specifically designed for interchangeable payloads. And maybe even a pusher prop. Because the high-lift STOL-style wing strikes me as the most appealing part of the SFK -- and the hardest for me to improvise on my own.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:08 AM
bbbair

Adapt and overcome! (a lot of research helps too )

Keep it simple and go for a simple and proven design that is readily available and flexible.

I am thinking about a Giant TWIN Stick... plenty of lift simple to fly and you can stick all sorts of things in the nose.

It is available as a Kit in Montreal Canada.

https://amr-rc.com/en_ca/giant-stick...in-engine.html

Good Luck!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:06 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grantwp3
Just checked out the Super Flyin' King, and it seems like a great fit to what I'm looking for. I see that it's currently out of stock, and I don't know how long it might take to be available again. Also, I'm wondering whether it might be worthwhile to build just the wing from the SFK and then adapt it to a different fuselage specifically designed for interchangeable payloads. And maybe even a pusher prop. Because the high-lift STOL-style wing strikes me as the most appealing part of the SFK -- and the hardest for me to improvise on my own.
It seems you may be carrying a camera. If so, consider electric propulsion. The vibration of any fuel engine may be a problem, as well as noise, if that is a consideration. It may even be that a self propelled scale glider with a pop up pusher motor pod would be a choice if the payload is enough for your needs. Long flight times, quiet, motor off for photo work, etc. There is also a pusher scale amphibian with a large pod like fuselage. I can't recall it's name. JAWAI.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas to All and to All a good Flight.