Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Danhaki Fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Danhaki Fuel tank

I recently purchased a plane that has a Danhaki fuel tank in it. The tank uses plastic tubes press fit in holes in the cap/stopper. These are used in this airplane for a vent tube and a fill line. I removed the fuel tank and found the fill line tube no longer pressed into its hole. So far the vent tube was still in place. I would like to use some sort of glue to insure that they stay in place but am not certain of what glue to use and just as important what glues to NOT use. This tank will be used for gasoline/oil mix. How should I insure that these tubes will stay in place under vibration and exposure to gasoline/oil ? And like I said before, what glue or glues should I for sure NOT use ?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2019, 09:15 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Not knowing the exact plastic material you are dealing with makes recommending an adhesive somewhat risky. The cost of the adhesive may be more then a new tank unless this is a particular size/shape tank that can’t be found through available sources. I would look into plastic specific epoxies such as Devon Plastic Weld/Bond. The prep is equally important to a good bond. Clean all parts with acetone, abrade with 400 grit and clean with acetone again. Let the acetone evaporate off for 15 minutes and then bond. If possible cure at as close to 80-90 degrees as possible.This not only speeds the cure but aids in flow out of the adhesive and creates a harder more chemical resistant surface.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:57 AM
turnnburn

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Not knowing the exact plastic material you are dealing with makes recommending an adhesive somewhat risky. The cost of the adhesive may be more then a new tank unless this is a particular size/shape tank that can’t be found through available sources. I would look into plastic specific epoxies such as Devon Plastic Weld/Bond. The prep is equally important to a good bond. Clean all parts with acetone, abrade with 400 grit and clean with acetone again. Let the acetone evaporate off for 15 minutes and then bond. If possible cure at as close to 80-90 degrees as possible.This not only speeds the cure but aids in flow out of the adhesive and creates a harder more chemical resistant surface.
Im thinking of trying thin ca. I wouldnt think that gasoline or the oil would soften it or attack it in any way.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 PM
speedracerntrixie

CA makes some plastics brittle. I also have no idea how CA handles gasoline.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 PM
turnnburn

I was hoping to use one of the glues I have on hand which include.....
-Testors plastic model glue
-Zap-A-Dap-agooo
-5 minute epoxy
-15 minute epoxy
-Duco Cement
-Thin, medium and thick CA
-Silicone type
-Shoe Goo (I had not thought of using this till right now. Pretty darned good stuff but no idea if gasoline will effect it, probably not)
-Plio Bond contact cement
-hysol epoxy
-BVM aeropoxy

My guess is that most of these will bond and hold well enough. it is more of a question of how it will hold up to gasoline/oil mixture. I am still leaning towards thin CA as my first try. The tube is a reasonably snug fit but evidently not snug enough,

I was hoping someone else had used one of these tanks and had similar issues and found satisfactory solutions.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 PM
turnnburn

I also thought about a couple wraps of plumbers tape but I don't consider it to be one of my top options.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 PM
speedracerntrixie

Out of everything you have listed the Aeropoxy would be the best choice, CA the worst.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:38 PM
turnnburn

I roughed up the tube ends with 80 grit sandpaper and glued them in with a small amount of thin CA. Then I submerged it in gasoline/oil mix. Glued remained hard . Granted this was only 30 minutes or so of exposure. So far so good. No sign of plastic getting brittle.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:53 PM
jetmech05

Default Tanks are cheap leaks are expensive

do your self a favor and get a new tank. You don’t need a leak in the fuselage especially if there is styrofoam
Old 01-31-2019, 01:54 AM
turnnburn

With the way this tank is designed this issue does not present a fuel leak concern. If it did I would have purchased a new tank already.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turnnburn
With the way this tank is designed this issue does not present a fuel leak concern. If it did I would have purchased a new tank already.
If you have faith in the tank, why do you want to additional sealant ?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:28 PM
turnnburn

Tom,
Did you read my original post ? The glue is not for sealant. It is to secure the press fit of the plastic tubes since they are not tight enough to stay in place without it.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:35 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I would get a new tank anyway. You don't want one of those tubes coming loose in flight and killing your motor.

carl