Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Returning to the skies with gassers this time have questions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Returning to the skies with gassers this time have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 03:45 PM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Returning to the skies with gassers this time have questions

Hello everyone. I'm returning to flying and I now own 3 giant scale airplanes, all of which have DLE engines, ranging from 20 to 85cc. My Cessna 182, pictured has a DLE 20. It has approximately 6 flights on it by the previous owner.

This is my Hostetler 108.5 inch WS Bonanza with DLE85
( This thing is a monster) 🤣🤣

Bought a Phoenix Models Stinson Reliant with DLE35

Both the Bonanza and the Stinson have yet to leave the ground, so I have my work cut out for me getting these birds ready to maiden.
Question I have is fuel tank size. I previously flew glow my entire RC career and just getting started with gas engines.
Do I need a big fuel tank, like 800cc or will 500 work for moderate flights 10 to 15 minutes long? I have no idea what kind of fuel mileage these planes will get so I'm hoping a couple of you could help me out here.

Thanks guys (and girls of course)

Sophia
Old 08-21-2022, 01:33 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

10-15 min. flight time is a pretty long, not modered flight time. LOL. Certainly lot longer than an ave. Assuming with above models you'll do just a monotonous circutry so your fuel consumption will be pretty low to get away with above, but with the 85cc I would rather fit in at least a liter.
For high performance aerobatics the more the safer.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:44 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 34cc in a plane and run 8 min flights. It has a 750cc (25oz) tank. I usually run full throttle most of the flight and use a little less than 1/2 the tank.
Some really good looking planes you have there and good luck with the maiden.
The following users liked this post:
SOPHIAFLYGIRL (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 06:50 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Sophia,
You are starting back in a big way, great looking planes. I'm just finishing a 30% Hostettler Cherokee, did you build the Bonanza?
Old 08-21-2022, 07:30 AM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
Sophia,
You are starting back in a big way, great looking planes. I'm just finishing a 30% Hostettler Cherokee, did you build the Bonanza?
That's a beautiful Cherokee. I have flight time in a full scale warrior, like the low wing layout.

No, I didn't build the Bonanza or the 182. I am, however, going to make a few modifications to the Bonanza before her maiden flight. Probably also going to have a medical crew standing by in case I pass out from anxiety 🤣🤣

But seriously, this is going to be exciting and a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:17 AM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

Sophia,
What engine and prop are you using?I was going to build this exact plane but wanted something slightly higher performance but still a sexy low wing scale GA airplane. Pretty sure I found what I was looking for!

Yes, " starting" back, so to say, with a heavy, high performance and complex plane, but I also have this to refine my skills on before I maiden my expensive one:

Old 08-22-2022, 04:06 AM
Tony Hallo

The plans show a G38, I'm using a D&B 3.7 CI twin with a 24x10 Falcon CF prop. It was built with a Roto 85 FS but ended up too nose heavy so I replaced it with the D&B wictch is 2 pounds lighter. Need to find a home for the Roto. The plane came in at 30 pounds.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:45 AM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

The plans show a G38, I'm using a D&B 3.7 CI twin with a 24x10 Falcon CF prop. It was built with a Roto 85 FS but ended up too nose heavy so I replaced it with the D&B wictch is 2 pounds lighter. Need to find a home for the Roto. The plane came in at 30 pounds.
Tony, you're also flying the Hostetler 108.5" Bonanza?
Old 08-22-2022, 07:52 PM
Tony Hallo

No
Old 01-02-2023, 07:49 PM
wayneparrish
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will find that gas engines don't burn near as much fuel as glow. I've been flying gas for a good 45 years and would never go back. A word of CAUTION !! Use Viton tubing for your gas supply tubing if you care about your a/c !! The yell Tygon will get very brittle and crack and break !! GUARANTEED ! The Tygon we use to get in years past was good but now we are unsure if its coming from "you know where" or good stuff. The only tubing that will last is VITON black tubing. Its expensive but will last forever. I lost a beautiful 10+ inch Corsair because the pickup tubing broke off in the tank !!!
Old 01-02-2023, 08:33 PM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

I appreciate the recommendation Wayne, thank you. I'll take a look at the black tubing. So far all my planes are doing great on yellow tygon tubing but they are all new.

Sophia
Old 01-03-2023, 04:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Just keep an eye on your clunk lines, they will harden and either not move around in the tank or crack and suck air over time. Viton is the schnizzle for that.