Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Question extra 330l or yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Question extra 330l or yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 AM
aci-bt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question extra 330l or yak 54

which one is better for 3d flying, the Jamara extra 330l (GFC fuselage already prepainted, 1960mm wingspan...) or the Carl Goldberg Yak 54 77", i saw the goldberg and it looks very very good for 3d flying, have anyone experience with the jamara extra 330l, what do u recomend???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24657.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	773216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21669.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	773217  
Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
2robinhood

Default RE: Question extra 330l or yak 54

Well, this is just my opinion.
I owned the Goldberg Extra 330L ( 77" )
Now I am flying a Richmodel Yak 54 ( 87" )
The Yak is a much better flying plane out of the two that I am talking about.
The Extra flys nice, but the Yak is much, much, more percise.
It also rolls better with the wing more in the middle of the fuse then the Extra's lower wing.
Another thing to consider, weight VS. wing area.
My Goldberg Extra with a Smartfly, smoker, ect came in at 16lbs 8 oz with a wing area of 1118sq in.
My new Yak with all the same stuff is at 16lb 12oz. and has 1458sq in. of area.
It flys, glides, climbs ( everything in every way ) better.
LIGHTER IS BETTER!
Goldberg makes beatiful kits and ARF's.
I saw in person the CMP Extra 330 and like it also, really good quality.
The only thing that makes me think is, The Goldberg Yak and Golberg Extra ( like I had ) are the same wingspan, almost the same wing area, and they claim the same weight ( 13 -14lbs. ).
You can make that weight with a nitro engine ( OS 1.60Fx ) but it is hard to do with a gasser.
I admit I had extras in mine, smoker, smartfly, four batteries ( one for smoker, one for ignition, two for the RX and servos ).
Even without that stuff it still would have been 15 - 15 1/2lbs.
Now for the CMP Extra 330 they are saying 80" wingspan, not listing wing area, but the weight right off the bat is 15 3/4lbs.
It is not very often that you build a plane and it comes in at what the stated weight on the box is, often it's heavier.
So, don't get me wrong the Extra is really, really cool looking, but I would go with the Goldberg Yak.
Yak should fly smoother and come in a little lighter.
What motor and gear are you going to use?
Man, my fingers hurt after this one.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
2robinhood

Here is the link to my Yak build.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6375068
Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 AM
aci-bt

well i was for the yak 54 too, but that GFC fuselage on the extra makes me think twice,
but there are no deatails for the extra, for the yak are very good videos,
i recognized that the control surfaces on the yak are a lot bigger from the extra,
and it looks very lighter from the extra, i will use 45cc on this one, not sure for the brand still.
i think i will go with the Goldberg yak 54.
Another thing, i saw u have build your own smoke mufler on the yak, can u tell me some details,
i will put TME smoke system and i want to build my own mufler!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
2robinhood

I tell you some things that I ran into with the Goldberg Extra and I am sure you would run into with the Yak. You also stated in your first post about 3D flying.
You say you are going with a 45cc engine, you may want to rethink that.
I started with the Fuji BT43EI-2 ( 43cc ) it weighted ( 56.2oz ) or 3 lb. 9 oz. with ignition and stock muffler. I ran a APC 20 X 8 prop. This was not enough motor to do 3D flying. From a level full throttle pass and pull verticle it would only climb about 200 - 250 feet before it would drop off to a side. It was not a 3D setup.
I then changed over to a DL-50. It woke the plane up. Unlimited verticle and would hover at 1/2 with great pull out at full. This setup flew great till some idiot filled the smoke tank with gasoline and never fill the fuel tank. We won't mention any names, but he's writing this right now.
So, I would recommend a strong 50cc and nothing less for 3D with the Goldberg yak.

As far as the smoke muffler, I took the stock muffler and used 1/8" soft copper tubing. I wrapped the tubing around the mufflers outlet tube the drilled a 1/8" hole close to the exhaust opening from the head. Insert the copper tubing into the hole and use high temp ( RED ) RTV to hold and seal it in place. The coiled copper tubing around the outlet stack acts as a preheater for the smoke oil.You really don't need to do this on gasoline engines, but I figured the hotter I could get it the better. It works great and I have no complaints.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 AM
aci-bt

i found this yak 54 on the ebay do u now what brand it is??? how will it fly this one with dl50???

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/YAK-54-30-87-ARF-AIRPLANE-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ300157261895QQihZ020QQcategoryZ19164Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing[/link]Yak 54
Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
2robinhood

Not a bad plane.
this is the one I am flying. This is a great plane, the only thing I have to complain about is the landing gear. the fiberglass two peice gear cracks and the gear mount needs to be stiffened up.
I bought mine here.
( http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...Model_GasPower )

His shipping is only $40.00, so this one would be cheaper then the e-bay one which has $160.00 shipping. The Richmodel Yak also has 100 Sq. in. more of wing area. As far as buying a DL-50, buy from DLUSA.com
Here is a thread about my Yak.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6375068
Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 AM
aci-bt

tell me how does it fly with the dl50??? does it fly 3D good??? about the shipping, i'm from Macedonia that's in europe so it's the same.
i have problems ordering from usa, so what do u thimk should i buy this yak or the goldberg yak54???or should i look for the richmodel yak? this "ebay" yak has one piece landing gear.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 AM
2robinhood

Well thats totally up to you. As far as shipping cost, I have no idea.
I like everything about the Richmodel yak, except the landing gear.
It looks good, but isn't. My all up weight is 16 lb. 12 oz. and the DL-50 makes it hover at half and pulls out great at full. It has unlimited verticle. It's not a all out, flat level speed demon. You maybe able to use a 60cc or so in it, but mine performs great with the 50cc, this plane isn't a pylon racer. This is the best plane I have had to date. You would love the way it lands, slow, stable, and very very smooth.
As far as the Goldberg Yak never flown one or even saw one. I had the Goldberg Extra 330. Nicely build plane, but didn't fly as nice as the Yak.
Thats not apple to apples though, two totally different style planes.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 AM
aci-bt

Hi, so i ordered this 30% YAK with DL50, another thing i want to ask u is what oil are u using for the smoke system???
Old 11-04-2007, 08:02 AM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: aci-bt

Hi, so i ordered this 30% YAK with DL50, another thing i want to ask u is what oil are u using for the smoke system???

I am using a Sullivan skywriter pump and Super Dri smoke fluid. I also am using the stock DL-50 muffler. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the heavy part of the muffler, right where it conects to the head. then I took 1/8" soft copper tubing, wrapped it around the down tube of the muffler and used high heat RTV to hold one end into the hole I drilled in the muffler. I am having really great results with smoke. I am pushing 4oz of smoke fluid a minute. The only problem I am having is I can't keep the muffler from coming lose. I have cleaned the hole and used red locktite and it still comes lose after 3 flights.