Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Magnalite ply - still available?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Magnalite ply - still available?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Mark in Michigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnalite ply - still available?

I am making the part templates for a MAN Knight Twister Imperial and the designer calls for using "Magnalite plywood" for all the formers. Supposedly very strong and very light, the designer says you can save 2 lbs. on the airframe. Back in 1985, it was available from BVM, so I tried them, but cannot get a response. Does anyone know if this stuff is still available?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
flyguy
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Magnalite ply - still available?

hello Mark I built that same plane years ago with Magnalite , that I bought from BVM. You are right you cannot get it from BVM anymore, but you can get it from Aerospace composite products or any other company that sells composite supplys. What you are looking for is called endgrain balsa that comes in panels of different thicknesses usually one eighth or one quarter inch. The panels are very stiff with either fiberglass on both sides or carbon fiber. The Knight Twister flew pretty good, I had a OS 300 twin in mine and it was about twenty pounds. Hope this helps ,Flyguy
Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I have the plans for this plane and am considering building it. I would like to get a copy of the origional building article. Would anyone have one that they could copy? You could substitute Light Ply for most of the Mag in the lower stress areas and then use aircraft ply for the high stress areas. I have a 24x36 laser ordered and plan on cutting all my parts this way.
Thanks and how about a build thread?
JEB
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Mark in Michigan

Thanks Flyguy. that does help. I will look for it in other places. I was planning on using my Saito 300 twin, good to hear it flew well on the OS 300 twin at 20 lbs.

Jeb - I am not starting to build at this time, I was only cutting out the templates and putting them on See-Temp because I had the time (currently unemployed). Send me your mailing address, I think I might have the article somewhere.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Mark in Michigan

WOW! I checked into the prices for the composite panels at ACP and have to say WOW! again.
Composite Fiberglass 12"x24" panels
1/8 $26
1/4 $26
Composite Carbon 12"x24" panels
1/8 $52
1/4 $52

Balsa USA has the ply for these prices
Aircraft Ply 12"x24"
1/8 $7.02
1/4 $4.48
Light Ply 12"x24"
1/8 $2.84
1/4 $4.08

Even if I had a job at the moment, I don't think I can justify the difference in price. I will probably end up using aircraft & light ply instead, being careful to save weight where possible. I didn't think there would be such a huge difference in price.

Flyguy - do you think the added weight will be a big deal?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I would love a Saito 300 twin, but looks like I will stick with a gasser. Wonder if a G38 would be enough, only 2.3CID.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

bps, I flew the plane that flyguy built . He sold it to a friend of mine and it had been fitted with a G62 and it flew very well .
I am not sure i would go with the g38 although a g45 would work nicely. I feel that the power to weight of the G38 in this aircraft would only give
minimal flight performance , basic maneuvers only using good energy mangement .
The G45 or G62 or any 50cc class engine would work well.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 AM
6LQQKR2
My Feedback: (6)

Mark,Do you still have the article for the Knight Twister. I have misplaced mine.

Dennis