Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Type of Glue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Richard Scale Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of Glue

Hey to all! I'm looking for advice on the type of glue best tp use when planking. I find that CA glue does not sand well. Anyone have sucess with old fashioned white glue?

Scale kits lives on

Richard
Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
CaptDave2
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Type of Glue

WeldBond white glue from Ace Hardware. Very strong on pourous material.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Richard Scale Rocks

Thanks Dave. Is that what you use for your sheathing. Think I'm geeting too fussy?

Richard
Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

If it must be glues, then yes...white glue or wood glue of some kind tends to sand better, ime. And no, you're not too fussy...smooth contours without "ridges" is prt of the craftsmanship.

However, I'll toss this out there...ime, a WHOLE BUNCH of sheeting tht folks edge glue doesn't have to be glued at all. IF the sheeting is going down over a fairly solid surface...for example sheeting a foam wing, or sheeting that lines up with stringers, then you can simply tape the sheets together with masking tape (on what will be the visible side). As you lay down epoxy, or wick in CA, or whatever, it will, if compressed well, wick into the joints between planks...thus eliminating the need for edge gluing before hand, and producing a MUCH cleaner, and quite sandable, joint.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:49 PM
camdyson

Aliphatic resin (the yellow stuff) sands a bit easier than white glue in my experience. Better still, old fashioned balsa cement is best. Here in Oz Aeroflyte make it - called C23 from memory. Dries clear and brittle, but doesn't leave ridges when sanding balsa like the softer flexible water-based adhesives. It's an acetone-based adhesive I think.

Cam
Old 05-26-2008, 02:26 AM
fokker fan

ORIGINAL: camdyson

Aliphatic resin (the yellow stuff) sands a bit easier than white glue in my experience. Better still, old fashioned balsa cement is best. Here in Oz Aeroflyte make it - called C23 from memory. Dries clear and brittle, but doesn't leave ridges when sanding balsa like the softer flexible water-based adhesives. It's an acetone-based adhesive I think.

Cam
I completely agree, Aliphatic resin or Balsa cement. Balsa cement sands great. I used to be able to buy it in fairly large bottles (around 300ml) but I only see it in small tubes these days. You can also make it yourself by dissolving acetate in acetone.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

I use Ambroid (acetate) glue for edge gluing sheets for sheeting wings, etc. It sands the easiest of all in my experience. I've had no trouble with ridges in the sheeting. I true up the edges with a long sanding block so they fit tightly together then tape them together edge to edge, bend them toward each other to open up the crack, spread the glue along the joint and then lay them on a flat surface and clean off the glue that oozes out. They can be weighted down or put strips of masking tape on the top side to hold them flat and then add weights. Works for me every time.

Bill

WACO Brotherhood #21