Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Trainer C/G

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Bud Nosen Trainer C/G

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Disarray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud Nosen Trainer C/G

I have had an 8'+ wingspan Bud Nosen trainer knocking around my garage for 10 years. Well today, I flew it with a 50CC engine. What a handfull, unresponsive elevator and ailerons. Would climb to beat the band when power was applied but at the same time, seemed like it could fall out of the sky at any second. Does anyone know what the CG for this plane should be? I set it about 3 1/2" from the leading edge at the wing tip, but it sure didnt fly well at all. Certainly not like a trainer should.

It was an exciting couple of flights, to say the least.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Disarray

Default RE: Bud Nosen Trainer C/G

Bedtime bump.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

Where is the CG currently set? Usually on a non-lifting tail plane, a CG at 25% of chord is a good starting point. It sounds like the plane is too tail heavy to me.

Hope this helps

Elson
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Disarray

I set the CG back about 3 1/2 inches. I do not remember the chord. I will measure it when I get home tonight. I would guess it was close to 1/4 of the chord but I am not sure.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am currently building the Nosen Giant Scale Trainer, I will measure the plans
when I get home this evening for you.

Bill D.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Bill Diedrich

ORIGINAL: Disarray

I have had an 8'+ wingspan Bud Nosen trainer knocking around my garage for 10 years. Well today, I flew it with a 50CC engine. What a handfull, unresponsive elevator and ailerons. Would climb to beat the band when power was applied but at the same time, seemed like it could fall out of the sky at any second. Does anyone know what the CG for this plane should be? I set it about 3 1/2" from the leading edge at the wing tip, but it sure didnt fly well at all. Certainly not like a trainer should.

It was an exciting couple of flights, to say the least.
According to the plans the CG is 3 1/8" back from the leading edge. Is your set up as a trike gear or taildragger?

What weight does your plane hit the scales at?

Bill D.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Disarray

Thanks for looking Bill. My scale will not read high enough for the plane, but I bet it weighs around 20lbs set up as a tail dragger. It already wants to nose over as it is at 3 1/2 inches. MMM. Perhaps I should move it forward to 3"and see what happens. I guess I would have to move the gear forward too.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Bill Diedrich

I am building mine as a taildragger and plan on having the c/l of the
axle approx 1/2" back from the leading edge, so nose overs shouldn't be a
problem. I am also powering mine with a Super Tiger 90. Built to the plans
it should be powerful engough to pull it around at a comfortable speed.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Disarray

I had a super tiger 90 on this plane iirc 10+ years ago and all it would do is fly, barely. How much do you expect the plane to weigh Bill?

I am going out of town for a couple of weeks, so it does not look like I will be able to test any of this until I get back. Ashame, because I would like to see how this thing will fly properly balanced.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Bill Diedrich

I'm Not sure of the weight at this time, have just started the build. I purchased
some contest grade balsa for the fuselage and had the wing ribs laser cut for me.
I should do a build thread on RCU and might just do it, as this is from plans and not
from the Nosen or AA Industries kit so I have control of the wood used, I also plan to
do a slight modification to the fuselage shape from the rear of the wing to the stab
just for cosmetic reasons. I'll keep ya informed.

If the ST90 isn't enough I have a ST2300 that swings 18-8 & 10 props with authority
that I can mount in there.

Bill D.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Disarray

Had a succesful flight with the trainer this weekend. I added 24 oz of lead to the nose and the 50cc flew it with authority. It is significantly nose heavy now and I ran out of elevator landing, so I will have to replace the prop. I am going to remove the lead in 4 oz incriments and see where I get.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'd put that 50c in another airframe. I'm flying a "Bud Nosen" 1/4 scale Citabria with a Saito 150 (35 ozs.) and it's all the power and WEIGHT it needs for comfortable(wing loading wise) scale like flying! These airframes were originally designed for 60 size glow engines..
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 PM
kcpaulr
My Feedback: (1)

I have just completed building the same plane and according to the plans the CG is s4 inches back from the leading edge. Good flying!!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:12 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

do you have any down thrust built in? with that much motor on a trainer wing i would think it would need alot! If the motor is just coming straight out of the firewall try shimming it down some, and a little right of course wouldn't hurt. I have no idea if its built in to your kit, but that trainer was probably designed for a 60 glow, not 60 horsepower !! ha ha have fun with it. I always like hearing the old nosen designs are still out there flying.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
ceciljohnson
My Feedback: (4)

hey guys
do any of you have the build instruction for the Giant BUD NOSEN TRAINER i just got the plans with no build instructions
if so could you email them to me at [email protected] i would be most greatful..
thank you ..cecil
Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Jim 15256

ORIGINAL: ceciljohnson

hey guys
do any of you have the build instruction for the Giant BUD NOSEN TRAINER i just got the plans with no build instructions
if so could you email them to me at [email protected] i would be most greatful..
thank you ..cecil
On their way.

Cheers
Jim
Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 PM
ceciljohnson

thanks Jim
i cant wait to build this one..
Old 01-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Jim 15256

I had a Bud Nosen Trainer back in the 80s. It was supposed to be designed for a .60 engine. I installed Fox Eagle .60 on it, but it was way under powered. I ended up chopping the nose off, doubling up the firewall and installing a Super Tiger 90.

As I recall it needed a lot of lead up front and a lot of downthrust to get it to fly well. I also replaced the stock nosegear with double sprung gear.

I still have the plans, the wing is 102 inches long with a 15 inch chord. The plans call for a 4 1/4 inch C of G from the leading edge.

Recommended weight is 12 pounds.

I'm not sure if I weighed it after installing the Super Tiger and adding the lead but my logbook shows a weight of 11 1/2 pounds.

Once it was balanced it actually flew quite well with the Super Tiger.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM
ceciljohnson

this will be the first on i have build. i remember looking in RCM years ago at the ad for Bud's planes a dreaming of the big tariner .
I never ordered one then i got out of the hobby for some years but now that im back in it i am going to build or atleast try to build everything i dreamed of years ago .
I also have a set of plans for the jenny and im in the process of getting the plans for 1/3 scale Gere sport.
On the trainer i was thinking of useing a g20 after reading several comments about the nose needing weight and being under powered with the 60 size motor and it just so happens i have a new one laying around.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
ceciljohnson

there is a fellow on ebay that has several of bud nosen's plans thats where i got my plans and i just ordered the 1/3 scale Jenny from him his sellers name is donbar25 really nice guy to deal with..
Old 01-22-2010, 04:37 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

I have a Bud Nosen J-3 which I sawed in half to transport from Saudi Arabia to Chicago where I relocated to in '85. Now I caught the bug again and want to finish it off and fly it with an OS F-120 2 cylinder 4 stroke. I also need plans, cowling andundercarriage. I think I can figure out the rest butcould be easier with plans.

Onthat nose weight added to the trainer I suggest to add some plywood to the firewall to push the engine forward a smidge instead of adding dead weight.

Best

Rafeek
Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM
green_mtn_boy

Jim:
I have the same Bud Nosen trainer, 102 inch wingspan. I have it fitted with a an OS 91
fs. Do you think this will be underpowered?
Sure looks like a lot of plane for that motor.
thanks, Len
Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 AM
JKEpps
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Bud Nosen Trainer, and it flew quite nicely with a Super Tiger G.90. It flew like a trainer nice and slow but with plenty of authority. A 50cc engine in this plane is waaaay over kill in my humble opinion. After a crash I repaired it and glassed the fuse, and painted it with 2-pak automotive paint. This of course added plenty of weight. The ST .90 was no longer up to the task. I have a 1.20 twin planned for it, but that hasn't been completed yet.

A .60 in this plane is a joke, I don't care what the plans/instructions say. I remember when I bought this plane, I called A&A Industries (the distributer at the time) and asked if a .60 was the real size needed for the plane. The guy told me "Yeah, a HOT .60". I said thanks, and immediately bought the Super Tiger .90 for it.

Honestly, assuming you built it according to plans, and didn't go crazy adding weight (I'm not the lightest builder either) I'd say a .90 - 1.20 would be the largest engine you'd need for this plane.

Hope that helps,

-Jorden
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way back in the day I saw one of these flown with a geared 60 and it still just barely flew on a calm day. I always thought a Quadra 35 would have been nice on it.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

I put an OS Gemini FT 120 in my Bud Nosen Cub but havent flown it yet. Might be able to do that in September. It is coming in at 15lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.