Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

For Pete's SakeWhich Batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

For Pete's SakeWhich Batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Nitro Dew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Pete's SakeWhich Batteries?

All,

I'm almost finished with my first large scale gasser and between the field suggestions and other readings I'm frustrated on battery set up! I'm flying an 100cc Aerobatic with one large rudder servo, and six Hitech 7955tgs: two in the elevator and four in the wings. I currently have one 2600 7.4 Li-ion on the engine with a regulator. For my controls, due to back order, I'm using two 2200 7.4 Lipo batteries with regulators.

Now, I got to reading about potentially bad regulators thus allowing too much voltage and probably breaking something. Then I got to thinking of just going with 4.8 and no regulators. Obviously my servo strength would decline. I'm tired of the field no-it-alls, and I would like to hear about how others are setting up their power systems. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: For Pete's SakeWhich Batteries?

I like simple: 4-cell packs; ni-cads and nickel-metal because I already own 2 cyclers for those type of batteries. My rule is 150 mah per servo, and I field charge between flights. No problems and no headaches. Cycle monthly, and charge at a c-10 rate.

I've got 25 airplanes in my shop so simple is preferable!!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Nitro Dew

I'm like you lifer, I'm simple. I've got Nicd and Metals I've had forever because I take care of them. I let the guys with the big planes talk me into the 7.4 Li=ion with the regulators for more power ... but then, if the regulator craps out, I have many more problems.

Anyone ever have a regulator go bad?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
eagledancer

i use nimh batterys, i fly scale so i am usally not running as many servos as you guys are. but i do use 2 packs, and have used both 4.8 and 6.0 without regulators. i have not yet moved over to li-po and not sure i will for awhile yet.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Fromeco regulators. Some of the others are junk. So I've read.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
bjor

Nitro Dew - I love a fresh can of worms.
I'm only flying 50cc but I love the KISS princible. I have 2 x 2000mah 5 cell (6V) Eneloops, connected via 2 x H/Duty switches and pluggeded into the reciever. For me, this gives me some redundacy for batteries and switches. Everybody is going to have a different veiw so just choose one you are comfortable with and fly. If we ever had to agree on a consensus on anything - we would never fly.
I'm now putting a 100" Edge together with DL100 and I will be using the same set-up.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Only one way to go these days IMHO; A123's or their slightly less expensive but similar chemistry LiFEPO4's.

Do a few searches, lots of info posted on 'em.

I USED to run Li-Ions with regulators but the A123 setup has got both those as well as Li-Po's beat hands down. When considering the output capabilty and short charge time, they've got NiCD's beat and I would not use NiMH for flight packs anymore.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
hanko

As one mentioned previously, all you"ll get hear is different opinions, which I guess is what your asking for in the first place. First of all somebody stated Ni MH arent the best for a reciever pack, one reason is they have a ton of internal resistance, which means large voltage drops by the time you get to the servo. I use them for ignition only. NiCads, heavy, but will flow a ton of current if need be. Also I have heard the NiCds be cease to exhist at some point and time, Bad for the land fills i hear. I dont like LiPos or Li ions whatever you call em for the fact of having to use regulators, Just something else to fail, and i feel they are dangerous when being charged

I have gone to all A123's. Iam am supper pleased with them. Fast safe charging, ( but you do have to buy a new charger). Vertually no internal resistance, will deliver 6.6 volts witha very flat power curve right to the end. They also are good for up to 2000 cycles. No regulators. Now, you feel any better? less confused?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just jumped onto the A123 bandwagon as well and am also enjoying the ride... Man these worms sure are wiggly!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM
delateurj

Here is my preference and opinion on options:

Currently use 123's (NoBS is a source for made up packs) on a 100cc Extra. Used Lions with regs on last plane (50cc Extra)
- 2 2300 for Rx, 1 1100 for ignition (no regular okay for DA, check if otherwise, I don't know).
- I like: No to very little doubt 2.4 Rx will stay above reboot voltage, hold charge for long time so no worrying about if I charged the night before, can be fast charged (but I don't).
- Limiting factor until recharge is 1100 for ignition, good for no more than 5 flights for me, dual 2300's on Rx's I could easily go 8, probably 10 flights.
- Want fastest servo response so want less voltage drop to servos (this will enable, quite the debate how much effort you need to minimize number of connections to each servo to realize this potential which means power expanders or multiple rx's to achieve this benefit fully depending on who you believe)

Thoughts on options.

When to lean to 123's:
- Use of 2.4 Rx as for this use practically impossible to suppress voltage below reboot value.
- You like to have your plane charged and ready to go without charging over night
- You would like to be able to fast charge 4C or more possible with right charger/wiring.

When to lean to Nimh/Nicad:
- Already have charge equipment
- No worry on Rx reboot through voltage suppression.
- Not worried about faster servo response that may be achievable through 123'
- Not worried about potential weight savings via Lion/123/Lipo
- You like being able to check the capacity of your battery roughly by doing a loaded voltage check (not considered reliable with 123 so you just keep track of how many flights and use past experience on how much mah per flight is used from previous recharges)

When to lean to Lion:
- Already have charge equipment
- Already have regulators
- Don't mind having one more component in the mix (Smart fly and Fromeco have many proponents and many people have bet very expensive planes on them)

When to lean to Lipo
- Already have charge equipment/batteries
- You aren't worried about greater fire hazard over Lion/123/Nimh/Nicd
- Already have regulators
- Don't mind having one more component in the mix (Smart fly and Fromeco have many proponents and many people have bet very expensive planes on them)
- Think Lipo/regulator you choose won't be subject to voltage drop or your system is not sensitive to that

Lots of options, I would push for 123 strong if you are now or in future going to use 2.4 rx.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Nitro Dew

Great info everyone, I appreciate your time. I like the A123 idea and will read up on it, although for now, I have the Ions and regulators and will utilize until potentially switching to A123s. Like most, I prfer to minimize numbers of connections and devices.

Thanks Again!