Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

New Guy with P-51 request

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New Guy with P-51 request

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with P-51 request

Hey fellas, I am 50 years old and have just recently re-kindled my RC distractions. I used to fly with the Don Muddiman and the Cloud Dancers (not as a team member) from 1978-1984 in Kissimmee FL. Moved to NC and left the sport in 1990. My two boys (ages 12 & 17) and I have decided to make a hanger out of the garage (under current construction) and have some aircraft and radios on order.

My 1978-1985 hanger included the Byron Pitts, Byron F-16, a Don Muddiman Flying Machine, and an X-cell 50 Helo. One aircraft I always wanted but never accomplished was the Byron 51. I am talking about a scale flying, sounding, 51. It is very obvious to me that you guys (after reading several hours in this forum) could give me the answer I am looking for.

Realizing that I won't find the original Byron aircraft and all its parts, is there a manufacture out there with a similar warbird. I mean a 4 bladed ,low prop RPM, high torque, quiet muffled engine duplicate that has that sound. If not, any ideas how I might be able replicate what I want with the newer technology aircraft, props, and engine?

The first time I heard one of these was 24 years ago with a Q42 on a 5ft low pass about 20 ft in front of me in DeLand Fl. It was about 7am and the pilot and I were the only two on the field. It shook me to my soul. I will never forget it. Is it still possible?

Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: New Guy with P-51 request

Hello Condor060 ,

Last month there was two Byron P-51's for sale on RCU, The only source i can think of off the bat,

would be a gentleman named Donzie, I bought a complete kit new in the boxes from him,

if you look in the " Buy Sell " section on RCU under " Warbirds " He has a Byron Hellcat kit listed,

Here you can send him a E-mail, As he will be your best bet for finding a complete Byron P-51

Hope this helps, Here's a pic of one of three that i have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1223426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45729.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	1223427  
Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM
flaminheli

Here ya go, complete with retracts and power system. You can't get anymore authentic than this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELUXE-BYRON-P-5...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Condor060

Flaminheli, Thank you sooo much. You won't believe this but not only do I now own the Byron 51 kit, its the deluxe version. The guy who owns the kit is Spider on this forum. He lives in Tampa and has film of me flying in several shows in1983. Seems we have crossed paths several times throughout the years.

I can't express enough my many thanks for you to take the time and find this kit for me. I would have never imagined (after all these years) having the opportunity to own a complete Byron 51 kit, much less the deluxe version. I would have never found this without your help. I am not an E-bay customer.

I still don't believe this has happened and I am very excited to start building. You have helped me realize a great dream on mine and I will always be thankful for the time you took to help another. This was very important to me.

Thank you so very much

Condor
Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Condor060

51-D Guy, thank you for your information. I hope my new 51 is in the same class as yours when its completed. You guys are the greatest. Thank you all very much. I am one happy person tonight. WhooooHoooooooo
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 PM
flaminheli

You are very welcome. I am glad I could help out. Make sure you post lots of pics during the build process and a video when it is flying. Just so happens I noticed the listing this morning and had it added to my watch list but figured you sounded serious enough about it that I decided to let you in on it because I am sure you would do more with it that I ever would, not to mention I probably would not have bought it anyway. Nice to see you got what you were looking for.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Condor060

Rgr That